Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
IMG_3389.jpg
Nice, Caramel and Chocolate:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
OFF TOPIC here: what did Borsalino call their equivalent to Cavanagh edge?

Bordo Doppio was their in-house name for it, but I don't know that they ever marketed it as such. I haven't delved that much into Borsalino marketing.

Brad

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
My first fur-felt hat

So, my very first fur-felt fedora, purchased through Bencraft, came in the mail yesterday.

Seeing how I favor a lower crown and shorter brim, I settled on Stetson's modern reproduction Whippet. I probably could have gone lower / stingier, but for my first fur-felt, I experimented a bit.

From the side:
IMG_3125.jpg

From the front:
IMG_3126.jpg

I have to say, I like the color. Wasn't really sure what to expect, but it's a nice grey with hints of a purplish blue (I believe the literature calls it "steel"). The ribbon and binding, while not black, provide a nice counterpoint, with a darker greyish blue.

The felt itself is soft, and the brim has a nice snap to it, but the crown is a bit stiff for my liking.

On my head:
IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Right out of the box, the hat runs a little big—small enough that the next size down would definitely be too snug, but big enough that it slides down to just barely above my ears and would certainly blow away in a breeze if I didn't hang on tight. I've heard that there are foam inserts one can find to adjust the fit for the time being, and that the hat will probably shrink over time to fit better; suggestions are welcome, however.

I was also not a fan of the factory-creased C-crown: too perfect, too bland. After researching on the Lounge, I decided to chance it and sprayed the heck out of the crown (covering the brim with towels so as not to lose the snap), then popped it out and worked it into a fairly gentle diamond with a tighter pinch in front. Pictures to come once the hat's dried out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice looking lid, Boushi :eusa_clap Like the modern Borsalino, Stetson is also printing their name on the back of their grossgrain ribbon :eusa_doh:

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Boushi Mania, you've made a great choice for your first in getting that Stetson:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Garrett, nice catch! You never seem to have to throw any back :rolleyes:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice to have some little perk-me-ups for the upcoming season ;)
Best Wishes to all,

Woody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner