Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Annixter

Practically Family
Mario, that is a beautiful hat! Very cool.

I received my new-to-me 1950's Champ from member thunderw21. It fits like a glove, and I really like the style. It has a very unique triple-peaked crown that appears to be original. The triple peak crease runs from the brim on the front to the brim on the back.

I've been playing with the felt to get it to where it looks good on me, and I've gone with a unique center crease with long dents to a point. The unique third peak remains lifted, adding an interesting look. I'm planning on hitting everything with steam once I'm sure I like the form, which I do so far.

Upon Arrival from thunderw21:
ChampFront.jpg

After a little tweaking:
NewChampFront.jpg

NewChampBack.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Dreispitz said:
Don´t know, if I bothered to post this one after I got it last summer. However, here it is. I fancied the silly idea to take a snow picture of the lid.

Quite a diference in weight, when used to felts. Bhuddah would have certainly favored felt hats over straws. Felts do not involve the flippant concern about frivilous weavecounts and one can keep one´s unfettered peace of mind lol

I like it!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
What is the crown height and brim width?

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I was finally ready to sew in a new sweatband - for the first time ever... Well, let me just say that I wouldn't want to show you - or anybody else - my needlework

Y'know, I can only barely visualize most of the ordeal you just suffered, but having just today sewn in my very first sweatband, I have a small idea of what a hassle you went through.

The fact that the end result is so beautiful (with your classic diamond bash) is, I hope, some small payoff for all that hassle.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Vintage Shudde Brothers OR Clone

I got this vintage Shudde Brothers OR clone on ebay for a very decent price recently. It's tan with a grey ribbon and edging. It arrived open crown in a Kevin McAndrew box, with dirt rings around what looks like an original teardrop bash (it falls very easily into this shape), and some discoloration on the brim and crown. Handling it leaves a very grimy residue on the fingers. Like the old Monty Python skit, it smells a bit but has a heart of gold. It was advertised as 7 1/4, but there's no size tag and it's a good bit larger than that. I'll be taking it to Shudde Brothers out in Brookshire for cleaning and possible resizing. I'll be interested to see if they can date it.
P1030948.jpg

P1030954.jpg

P1030958.jpg

P1030962.jpg

P1030978.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
Yeps said:
So my other new hat, a gambler from Sundbody hats, came in today, and I have mixed feelings. It may just be that it is the dead of winter right now and this is a summer hat, but I am not sure.
Here is a picture of me pretending it is summer.
Photo251.jpg

It is a nice hat, but I am not so sure about it. It seems very country. I did not quite realize how big 3.5 inches is for a brim.

I gotta disagree with Mr. P. I think there's room in your repertoire for that wider brimmed Sunbody. Yes it could be construed as a little bit country, but I would say more "country gentleman." You'll wear that at those summer soirees in the Virginia countryside hosted by various congressmen who need your support! :)

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Chinaski said:
Hey Cracker! (I must admit feeling a little bit funny writing that!)

The OR style suits you to a T. You wear that hat really well.

I yam what I yam. Thanks. The missus and I both thought it looked to tall for me, until I took these pics. The mirror doesn't always tell you everything.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Thanks MayserWegener...coming from a collector of such fine hats as yourself, that`s a great credit for the modern master, Mr Fawcett :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

G. M. Hutfabrik Bowler

I received the old German Bowler with original box. It's a small one (54cm) but I just couldn't resist. I am not aware of the hat company (G. M. Hutfabrik) that made it. I have to believe it is early 1900s and of the highest quality. I will post more in the German - Austrian and Bowler - Derby threads.

4372920304_7d81d16c30_b.jpg

4372168769_91a249788e_b.jpg

4372168735_a960736e22_b.jpg

4372168585_ae0a64aa0b_b.jpg

4372168621_67d580331b_b.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
djgo-cat-go said:
What a labourious proces, good story man! Too cool! So, you didn't panic once? :rolleyes: lol

Panic? Me? Man - I was constantly squeaming and squealing for four days in a row!! Panic is just too mild a word to use here... ;)

djgo-cat-go said:
The result looks very good, but you're making me very curious about the stitch-work on that sweatband.. Can I seduce you into taking a picture of that and share it :)

Aureliano said:
:arated:

+1 show us!

Not a chance. Not yet. But I promise to take photos of the whole process when I'm putting the hat on the block once I have it ready. :)

Believe me: the stitches on the sweat would give you the impression that the damned thing was sewn in during an earthquake of 8.3. :p

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mario said:
Panic? Me? Man - I was constantly squeaming and squealing for four days in a row!! Panic is just too mild a word to use here... ;)

Not a chance. Not yet. But I promise to take photos of the whole process when I'm putting the hat on the block once I have it ready. :)

Believe me: the stitches on the sweat would give you the impression that the damned thing was sewn in during an earthquake of 8.3. :p

lol lol lol I'm looking forward to the completion of that fantastic lid..

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Site of Louis Custom Hatters Today

Mario said:

I love Google Earth. Here is an image of the location of Louis Custom Hatters today. According to Google Earth, the building on the left is 677 Randolph, so 671 is also an address in that building, or it is the parking lot in the center of the image.

According to Wikipedia, this area of Detroit was heavily settled by German immigrants at the turn of the 20th Century.
671RandolphStDetroiMI.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot