Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Rodkins said:
Thanks! I'm very excited to put it to use. I can tell this is going to be a problem. I'm already thinking about my first fur-felt fedora. I have a very addictive personality.

You have a few problems, that I can foresee!;) The Cuenca will have you pining for a Montecristi (which is where I am in the addiction). And the colder weather means you'll need a fur felt hat. By NO means, whatsoever, should you spend a day going through the entire Art Fawcett Hall of Fame link - I mean it! Save yourself! Or at least wait until I have ordered mine from him. :)

Welcome - I hope you find the Lounge as wonderful a place as I have!

Cheers!
C-C

DRB

One Too Many
rlk said:
4841885850_94f51cac51_b.jpg
4841261001_69a1b65b30.jpg

RLK, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you regarding the date of authorized wear of this style cap. I had to wait for the resident expert to come back from vacation. He tells me that the postal service carriers wore this cap from somewhere in the 1950's to the final year of 1979.

Great find. It looks in good shape too. Hope this helps....DRB

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1920's Kaufman Deerskin Felt Bowler

Heres my "new to me" 1920's Kaufman Deerskin Felt Bowler. Its in rough shape, but I only paid 6 dollars for it because I thought it was interesting. The sweatband is in good shape, it just needs to be sewn back into the hat. The felt is extremely soft, but there are some cracks in the crown. I was unaware of the cracks when I bought it. Heres some pics:

DSC03582.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03588.jpg

DSC03630.jpg

DSC03632.jpg

DSC03634.jpg

DSC03635.jpg

DSC03636.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:
You may be in the wroooooong place, Rodkins. We're no help whatsoever at breaking the hat addiction.

Still, welcome to the Lounge!
Thanks Spats. I'm positive I can get into some fun trouble here...

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
ccajackson said:
You have a few problems, that I can foresee!;) The Cuenca will have you pining for a Montecristi (which is where I am in the addiction). And the colder weather means you'll need a fur felt hat. By NO means, whatsoever, should you spend a day going through the entire Art Fawcett Hall of Fame link - I mean it! Save yourself! Or at least wait until I have ordered mine from him. :)

Welcome - I hope you find the Lounge as wonderful a place as I have!

Cheers!
C-C
Thanks C-C
I've already pondered the Montecristi but I was able to redirect my focus on the Cuenca for now. It's only a matter of time I'm sure. My last hobby/addiction started when I had someone build me a custom fishing rod. After taking the rod building class and building a few for my family and friends I now (a couple of years later) have that as a small business when I am away from my 40-per-week job.:eek:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grab the brim of that beautiful hat at points parallel to the side of your head, forward of the ears, on both sides. Lift up. This should make the front of the brim go down, and if done with enough diligence, should add a nice bit o' swoop. That hat deserves some swoop!
If that doesn't work, just find a table and hold the hat perpendicular to the surface of the table. Now push the hat down so that the brim makes contact with the surface of the table and begins to curl. Work the curl enough and it should have the same effect as the aforementioned method.

At any rate, it's a beautiful hat. Well done!

Note: These are processes I have used on all my hats, though all are fur felt Akubras. I'm not sure if these methods will work with straws, so...Good Luck! lol.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I wouldn't pull up the sides as much as pull down and widen the snap in front. But really it's entirely your call how you want it to look.

However you decide to shape it, you may need to mist or sprinkle the brim with some (filtered) water and work it in with your (clean) fingers. Once it's soft and pliable, form it how you want it and let it dry. Others may have other ideas about how to go about it. But this method has always worked just fine for me. ;)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zetwal said:
Personally, I wouldn't pull up the sides as much as pull down and widen the snap in front. But really it's entirely your call how you want it to look.

However you decide to shape it, you may need to mist or sprinkle the brim with some (filtered) water and work it in with your (clean) fingers. Once it's soft and pliable, form it how you want it and let it dry. Others may have other ideas about how to go about it. But this method has always worked just fine for me. ;)

You might be right. With my method, it will work as long as you're gentle. However, one good pull at the right spot and you could rip out some stitching.

Whatever the case, I recommend that you add some "swoop" to add to the *pizazz*.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
I'd be happy if mine had as much swoop as Rodkins. Mine is perfectly flat right now. I just tried Neophyte's method on my Cuenca Rio Plata and had no result. I guess it does not work on straw like it does on felt.

I'm going to give mine some steam this afternoon. Just pulling made some headway, but I'm not there yet.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
My first straw

Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave it alone and see how I like it for now. I can always add some more swoop later, right?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
jwalls said:
I didn't know what to say either, but the customer is always right.
:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

How does a customer even ask for something like that? "I want a navy blue Homburg that looks like a tie die nightmare."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael