Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Johnny J, what a nice find! The hat seems to be in terrific shape! Depending on how much it cost to acquire, I would consider sending it to be professionally cleaned if a good solid brushing isn't doing the trick. Others here do their own naptha bath, but I'd be hesitant on such a quality old hat.

Thanks Chinaski. I paid approx. $130 and it looks hardly used. Ebay seller says it was never used. But a professional cleaning sounds expensive. I would have to check.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here are some liner photos of the Soveriegn, any ideas on dates?

Here are some shots of mine. I would guess mine might be a little later.

0be844dc.jpg

f15cc9bf.jpg

b0204e8f.jpg

sovtwentytop.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Spaghetti western from Borsalino getting a screening at my office. Very nice soft yet moldable felt. I think I will wear this one with the brim up for a while.

Alan -- looks like you scored a Borso Alessandria in beautiful condition. Congrats! I'm not averse to the brim-up thing on an OR -- but, one of the great qualities of an Alessandria is a distinctive swoop to the brim that is really sharp. I have a funny feeling that "brim down" on this one will be a great look on you.

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here are some shots of mine. I would guess mine might be a little later.

Beautiful Stetson 20, rodkins. That is a wonderful quality of felt. I love that particular liner, as well. I think that 50's is the call for this lid -- my best recollection is that I have seen that liner in conjunction with hats that date to the early/mid-50's. (Is that a plastic liner protector? -- if so, I think circa mid-50's is the call) Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here's a hat brand I haven't heard of before: The President. It seems to have sub-designations of Multi-Felted and The Six. It's made of quite dense, soft felt. It's milk chocolate brown, with an usual rust-colored ribbon. Can anyone tell me about it? Any guess as to the maker? It seems like a hat made in a big factory, rather than in a small store . . .

IMG_0333.jpg

I love it when people come across hats that we rarely, if ever, see -- and I believe this is one of them. Beautiful color combo -- great looking lid!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful Stetson 20, rodkins. That is a wonderful quality of felt. I love that particular liner, as well. I think that 50's is the call for this lid -- my best recollection is that I have seen that liner in conjunction with hats that date to the early/mid-50's. (Is that a plastic liner protector? -- if so, I think circa mid-50's is the call) Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL
Yep. It has a plastic liner protector.
Thanks!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Hello Jimmy-the-lid what makes me think the hats are Biltmore made Stetsons are the sweat bands has Made in Canada logo on it just like any other Biltmore I have seen and the sales slip in one of the boxes is from the Biltmore Corporation.

I have tried to find exact dates when Biltmore made Stetsons but have not find definate date yet. If you have any info please let me know. From what I could find out from the woman I bought them from the hats are at least from the mid eightys.
Johnny

Thanks for that info, Johnny!

Here's some info I previously posted on Stetson's operation in Canada...

From Snyder's Stetson Hats and the John B. Stetson Company:

In 1935, as it became increasingly difficult to market their hats overseas, Stetson began setting up plants in other countries to thwart the tariff restrictions. Their first foreign plant was located in Canada. Stetson "acquired a substantial interest" in the Wolthausen Hat Corporation in Brockville, Ontario. One of the largest manufacturers of men's fur hats in Canada, Wolthausen producing [sic] Brock hats and other lines known throughout the Dominion. These continued to be produced, along with Stetsons. It was the first time Stetson hats had ever been produced outside of Philadelphia. Other foreign branches were soon opened in Mexico, Australia and elsewhere.

Your info tends to support the notion that Biltmore was involved in manufacturing more recent Stetsons (post-1970 closing of the Philly plant).

Cheers,
JtL

Alan -- looks like you scored a Borso Alessandria in beautiful condition. Congrats! I'm not averse to the brim-up thing on an OR -- but, one of the great qualities of an Alessandria is a distinctive swoop to the brim that is really sharp. I have a funny feeling that "brim down" on this one will be a great look on you. Cheers, JtL

Thanks Jimmy, this one, much like my Stetson 7X, has that moldable felt that allows a quick change of crease to suit the moment. I like to keep the brim up cattleman as an option on these where steam is not needed to set the shape. You never know when that western mood is going to hit. It does look just fine with a downward snap too of course.

best,
Alan

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Also, you can see the ring around the top of brim where it was sitting in the box. Any suggestions on that? Appreciate your comments.
DSC03122.jpg

Thats an awesome crown on that hat. I love tall crowns, and the block and crease on that one is superb. As far as the ring. I would just take a stiff brush and try to brush it out, then take a soft brush and go over it. It should even out.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I love it when people come across hats that we rarely, if ever, see -- and I believe this is one of them. Beautiful color combo -- great looking lid!

Thats a really cool hat, SteveAS. Its nice to see other makers, other than the major ones every once in a while. Some of the smaller makers and stores really had some unique characteristics about the hats.

Thanks for the compliments, gents!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn