Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Jess.jpg

Hold all tickets!!!!!! We have a NEW WINNER!!!!!!

Thats an awesome crown on that hat. I love tall crowns, and the block and crease on that one is superb. As far as the ring. I would just take a stiff brush and try to brush it out, then take a soft brush and go over it. It should even out.

Certainly brushing is the first line of offense and should always be used before steaming... or you could wind up giving a dirty hat a mudbath.

My testiest run-in with storage marks was on a couple of 5X velour Borsalinos that had rested in their boxes for a few decades before coming to me. No amount of brushing would subdue the conspicuous marks on the brim where the weight of the hat was borne. A quick blast of steam and a couple of gentle strokes with a soft brush and the marks disappeared... kinda like magic.

Just my .02

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Certainly brushing is the first line of offense and should always be used before steaming... or you could wind up giving a dirty hat a mudbath.

My testiest run-in with storage marks was on a couple of 5X velour Borsalinos that had rested in their boxes for a few decades before coming to me. No amount of brushing would subdue the conspicuous marks on the brim where the weight of the hat was borne. A quick blast of steam and a couple of gentle strokes with a soft brush and the marks disappeared... kinda like magic.

Just my .02

My first approach to all arrivals is the vacuum with the soft brush attachment in the appropriate direction for the felt. Best to remove maximum dirt and dust before brushing it in or steaming it deep into the fibers.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Just my .02

I totally agree Alan. Ive had some similar instances where I have received hats that have been in boxes for decades and have that annoying ring. I'm just very hesitant to steam anything old unless I absolutely have to and I'm sure that the sweatband will hold up. Steaming is great for shaping, cleaning, etc. The major problem with vintage hats is the sweatband. A lot of the time, even if the sweatband looks good and seems flexible, that first steam bath just dries it right out. Ive been lucky, in general, I've only had 2 sweats dry out after a steaming. I do wind up steaming most of my hats, but I try stiff then soft brushing every stain and mark on the hat before I hit it with steam. But ultimately, your absolutely right, steam works miracles with felt. I still have to find some mink oil so put on my sweat bands. Ive tried some various natural unscented and non-fragrance lotions that have worked pretty well, but Im sure the mink oil would work a bit better.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My first approach to all arrivals is the vacuum with the soft brush attachment in the appropriate direction for the felt. Best to remove maximum dirt and dust before brushing it in or steaming it deep into the fibers.

Thats a good idea, Robert. Ive never thought of doing that. I gotta give that a try.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
The major problem with vintage hats is the sweatband.

One of the first things I do with a vintage hat is to gently pull down the sweat and then rub a thin layer of mink oil onto the back of the band with my finger. This helps rehydrate the leather. But try not to get the mink oil into the stitching because mink oil is not good on threads. Be careful not to put too much oil on the band, though, because you may end up getting the oil staining the hat body when you flip the band back in.

fmw

One Too Many
The top one needs to be straightened out. For me that means wetting it, adjusting it and letting it dry. The lower one looks like it is ready to go. Just snap down the front of the brim.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks buler and RLK.

Historyteach24, I don't see anything wrong with the brims. What's the problem in your mind?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace