Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Ok just got my two new hats and am having a mini-crisis. I honestly have no idea how to fix the brims to make them official fedoras any help would be appreciated!

Take a regular steam iron & a thin cloth like a handkerchief & iron that brim thru the cloth. Make sure not to touch the crown with the point of the iron. The steam will soften up the shellac in the brim & the iron will press the waves out. I've done this to some pretty wonky looking brims. Short of that, you may need to send it to a hatter for reblocking....

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
P1252578.jpg

P1252579.jpg

Ok this one I think looks ready for the town. Opinions would be appreciated

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know man I am new to brimmed hats. As I said my first fedora was a snap brimmed 2 inch brim so I took advice from the guys and went up a step both in brim and crown.

Eventually I think that you'll be quite capable of rocking a bigger hat. Based off the Scala, I'd say that your "magic number" for brim width might be 2.5'' (of course, it all comes down to preference). You could also rock a fuller, straighter crown. You've got a very versatile facial structure (lucky b*****d ;)).

All in all, this was a major success in terms of a "step up". And for about $30, no less! :eusa_clap

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Eventually I think that you'll be quite capable of rocking a bigger hat. Based off the Scala, I'd say that your "magic number" for brim width might be 2.5'' (of course, it all comes down to preference). You could also rock a fuller, straighter crown. You've got a very versatile facial structure (lucky b*****d ;)).

All in all, this was a major success in terms of a "step up". And for about $30, no less! :eusa_clap

Thanks man! So when you say straighter crown does that refer to the taper? I am still learning these terms lol

Today was a good day at the track. A few of my horses came in and brought some winners from the past couple of weeks that were even better than I had hope when I bid on them.

First is this old wooden stretcher. Don't know much about it other than I'm a woodworker and it just called out to me. The circumference scale is in centimeters.

largestretcher1.jpg

The first hat looked great in the Ebay pics from the seller, but it really took my breath away when I unwrapped it. Twenty dollars bought a lot of hat back in the day:

knox20_1.jpg

knox20_2.jpg

knox20_3.jpg

knox20_4.jpg

knox20_5.jpg

Will post more later on.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK, Alan -- you're killin' me with that post! Holy Smoke -- that Knox is absolutely stunning! Superb condition, and colors to die for. Congrats!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The stretcher is amazing, as well. Very cool.

Looks like you hit the Daily Double...

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
+2!!

Fantastic colors and finish on that Knox 20 and the stretcher is subtly shaped to stretch the hat without pressing the sweatband out into the felt creating a line and domed to prevent blocking distortion. A particularly beautiful example.

Alex

Practically Family
That is an amazing hat Alan. Just out of curiosity, how much approximately does one pay for a lid of that caliber on the bay? I want to know if I'm getting okay prices on my purchases..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart