Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Lansburgh's Collapsible Topper

I picked up this up at local auction for $17.00. It's a size 7 1/8 but actually fits. It was sold by Lansburgh's Department Store of Washington, DC and still in working order. I am sure it was made for them but no visible maker tags. My guess is early 20th Century and it came with the original box.

6077693849_fedb9ff132_b.jpg

6078232570_8fc4d3f0f1_b.jpg

6077698333_18c86c9f69_b.jpg

6078236196_828b3d5c8f_b.jpg

Some history regarding the Lansburgh's Department Store.

http://www.adolf-cluss.org/index.php?sub=3.5.09&lang=en&content=w&topSub=washington

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up this up at local auction for $17.00. It's a size 7 1/8 but actually fits. It was sold by Lansburgh's Department Store of Washington, DC and still in working order. I am sure it was made for them but no visible maker tags. My guess is early 20th Century and it came with the original box.

6077693849_fedb9ff132_b.jpg

If that's true, maybe it was worn by a fellow who went to a party attended by Theodore Roosevelt or William Howard Taft.

There was also a really nice old + very good condition Silk Stetson Topper (sister hat to mine) with the original box but I didn't bid. It ended up going for $30.00.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I've got the Caribou too but don't see the green hues you descirbe.
Also, you need to get that plane flying forward to keep things moving on...
I think the pilot was heading the other direction getting a view of a few topless gals driving a convertible..but yeah ground control will get it taken care of....!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
P1020700.JPG
P1020701.JPG

P1020703.JPG
P1020707.JPG

P1020704.JPG
P1020705.JPG

P1020706.JPG

About as perfect as a >70 year old hat can get.
It not only looks in fantastic condition but also the color, materials, shape is amazing. I can sure see why you picked that hat up to own. I found a black Dunlap Fedora that has similar quality for being as old as it is. You know when you see some hat that has that extra nice overall appearance, you gotta have it! That Boater is museum quality.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I've got the Caribou too but don't see the green hues you descirbe.
Also, you need to get that plane flying forward to keep things moving on...
The green hues are really there, as I have another new hat (just a few weeks that I have owned) that is a Caribou color, a Churchill, and I am under the belief it is made by the same folks that make the new "Strat", but the Churchill is grey, no doubt about calling it a flat out grey, yet the very first thing that hit me was how much nicer the color the new "Strat" is, and that in a nice but odd way, there is a mild green hue to the grey.. Not complaining about the colors either. I ordered another "Strat" this morning in Silverbelly and may see what a Black one will do. I have been thinking of replacing the ribbon hat band on a Black "Strat" with another thin ribbon of cream/off white. I have some really nice hat ribbon that I got hooked into off eBay that was really vintage Petersham in a variety of colors and width. I also may have to get me one of your gizmo's for doing a crown over. Not for this "Strat" but for the SilverBelly. I want to leave the crown and bash on this one as it is.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Here's a Mayser that I bought last week. Some of you may have seen the auction images in another thread, which showed the hat to have lost its creases and shape. And it arrived with quite a bent brim...

It was advertised as "a 1980s woman's hat" (!)

I've applied some light steam and tried to rebash according the period ads that were posted, though I think it will take a couple more attempts to get the brim even.

It looks like it has a sort of pork-pie crown, but it's taller, so it really wears just like a normal fedora. I can also put a pinch in front. It's quite an elegant hat and is a little out of the ordinary. Could easily be worn either casually or formally.

54602117.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
99026034.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.us

More images in the German/Austrian thread here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32103-German-amp-Austrian-Hutmachers&p=1291746&viewfull=1#post1291746

And here it is with a pinch..

64816083.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Montecristi "Cloche"

P1020717.JPG

P1020716.JPG
P1020715.JPG

If its a Panama you must be able to fold and roll it, right? If you then find it it must be a cloche...

Actually a nice 30's size 7-1/2 Montecristi with wide light sweatband not intended to fold. No remnants of original flanging or blocking survived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred