Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scooter

Practically Family
Missed the postman yesterday, just picked it up from the Post Office. Eating lunch right now, pics in a few.

scooter

Practically Family
New Stetson 25 Open Road from a fellow lounger. I just pulled it out of the shipping box and I really like this hat.

IMG_1218.JPG

here's a bonus shot (if looking at me can be considered a bonus), of my Stetson Whippet, again from a lounger, just back from refurbishing by Drew at Clean-A-Hat. Talk about good hat day for me!

IMG_1222.JPG

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
That's a great hat-- it might be the companion to my 5X Beaver Brand in Sand. In my experience the hat was begging to be creased, though I tried to resist for several months. ;)

Thanks, your sand was the inspiration for the project. I probably should have gotten it in sand or silverbelly, I’ve already smudged it.

I'm VERY interested to see what kind of conversion you're going to do with this one. When I converted my blue resistol, it had a very tall, straight and stiff crown like that hat. I was actually contemplating ordering a tall derby in white from beaver brand as well. If I may make a recommendation in trying to shape a stiff crown like this. I would assume that the felt is fairly substantial and not thin, so you have to use a TON of steam when shaping the crown, and don't forget that due to the fact that there is a good amount of shellac in the crown, once you steam it, it will want to harden very quickly when its off the steam. No matter what crease your going for, always set your center dent line first just to give a good starting point. Just my 2 cents.

The felt is pretty thick, about the same as the old Biltmore Senator I used to have. You are sure right about the shellac. I bought a handheld steamer after work last night figuring it was time to do things right; I couldn’t have done a thing with it without it.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dirtiest headwear ever received

Furry Flap Panel Cap
P1030320.JPG
P1030321.JPG
P1030317.JPG
P1030322.JPG

Perhaps this was preserved in mud. Looked black in the photos but might actually be Camel colored. These images are after vacuuming. Lining was bright gold silk. Paper towel shows a light swipe with some Naptha. Any cleaning suggestions? No leather parts on the body, but the bill might be under the fabric covering. Weighs an amazing 260 grams( 9 oz.).

Last edited:
Cleanest cap ever

I think I had a better cap day than Robert, though this sale was a bit of an adventure. The seller had two hats - a mothy 6 1/2 herringbone and a new looking 6 7/8 tweed that I won. The herringbone was the one I received. Fortunately the buyer on that one was from asia and hadn't paid for it, so my hat was still there. Seller was very prompt to make it right. It arrived today, condition is unworn and pristine.

kinglycap1.jpg

kinglycap2.jpg

kinglycap3.jpg

kinglycap4.jpg

kinglycap5.jpg

kinglycap6.jpg

It will take a a little stretching to fit me right. Will see how that goes... carefully.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I think I had a better cap day than Robert, though this sale was a bit of an adventure. The seller had two hats - a mothy 6 1/2 herringbone and a new looking 6 7/8 tweed that I won. The herringbone was the one I received. Fortunately the buyer on that one was from asia and hadn't paid for it, so my hat was still there. Seller was very prompt to make it right. It arrived today, condition is unworn and pristine.

It will take a a little stretching to fit me right. Will see how that goes... carefully.
Great fabric inside(looks like a tin ceiling) and out and amazing condition, slightly cleaner than mine.

Last edited:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
It's been too long since I posted photos of my new hats,

so here we go:

The first hat is a great navy color, I have no idea what the brand is as the lining and the sweatband were missing when I bought it.
But Optimo Hats Chicago helped me out there and gave it a sprucing up.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

The next is my first back bow hat, in chocolate brown, it's a Knox and my only center dent fedora.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

And finally my favorite dove gray with a great shark gill bow

IMG_0071.jpg

Cheers!

scooter

Practically Family
RLK, maybe I'm way off base, but unless someone knows something I don't, what harm would a good naptha bath do this hat?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Furry Flap Panel Cap
Any cleaning suggestions? No leather parts on the body, but the bill might be under the fabric covering. Weighs an amazing 260 grams( 9 oz.).

I'd try a sink full of warm water, some laundry detergent, some careful underwater massaging, then rinse and repeat.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
... A very sincere thank you to all who proffered birthday wishes! I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread and others already-- will try over the next dew days. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic