Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Exactly. Weird. French belting (with those serrated edges) is commonly found on women's hats. The grosgrain ribbon on men's hats has smooth edges.

I have seen some examples of pre-1930's hats with French Belting and Pertersham ribbon used instead of grosgrain. I believe Stetson also used Petersham on their Flagships in the 50's. I think it adds a nice touch to a hat than using the more common grosgrain. I have NEVER seen white French Belting and Ribbon on a black hat however. Thats a first for me.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I believe Stetson also used Petersham on their Flagships in the 50's. I think it adds a nice touch to a hat than using the more common grosgrain.

Here's my problem with Petersham as a ribbon on men's hats. Because the edges are serrated, the bottom edge that 'kisses' the brim line doesn't meet it smoothly. The meeting point looks "zigzaggy", which IMO is not flattering to a hat.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I have seen some examples of pre-1930's hats with French Belting and Pertersham ribbon used instead of grosgrain. I believe Stetson also used Petersham on their Flagships in the 50's. I think it adds a nice touch to a hat than using the more common grosgrain. I have NEVER seen white French Belting and Ribbon on a black hat however. Thats a first for me.

You're one up on me then Josh. I don't recall ever seeing french belting that was factory original. I've seen many renovations that used it for lack of the correct ribbon. Have any pics of an original Stetson using belting? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate

You're one up on me then Josh. I don't recall ever seeing french belting that was factory original. I've seen many renovations that used it for lack of the correct ribbon. Have any pics of an original Stetson using belting? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
British A.J.White Ltd.
P1030387.JPG
P1030386.JPG

P1030403.JPG

I'm being totally serious when I say I think that's a great hat, and seems to complement you more than any other hat I've seen you display, you almost have that Belgian detective look about you, all you need is the upturned moustache. It would require some kahuna's to wear it to the local school board meeting though.

It's different but really cool. Great Hat!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Hey Art, I found a few examples around the lounge:

Heres an example of one of Jimmy's Flagships with petersham ribbon.

Flagship-1.jpg

Flagship-3.jpg

Carter's Flagship

3254521556_8fc7a4cfde.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Gene's Flagship

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I know I've seen a few more with petersham around the lounge. They may actually be 40's hats.

For some reason I can not find pictures of the pre-1930 examples with petersham. I am 100% sure I've seen them though. In some of the old American hatter publications, I know that some major makers made early hats with petersham. I will try and dig those up.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My vintage Cervo has A Petersham black ribbon. I once had a 60s silver Borsalino with similar ribbon. I agree with Josh. It looks nice. Those flagships there, specially Jimmy's, are awesome examples.

Bismuto Borsalino

$20 Borso from Rogers Peet... I'm a little surprised this didn't get more attention from compact cranial Whippet fanciers. It was a reasonable buy on its second ebay go around. Lightweight felt with a soft hand - late 40s, early 50s perhaps. Super condition.

blueborso1.jpg

blueborso2.jpg

blueborso3.jpg

blueborso4.jpg

blueborso5.jpg

blueborso6.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I saw that you got that one, Alan. I watch the first round with the crazy price but missed the second. BIN, right?

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate

I know I've seen a few more with petersham around the lounge. They may actually be 40's hats.

For some reason I can not find pictures of the pre-1930 examples with petersham. I am 100% sure I've seen them though. In some of the old American hatter publications, I know that some major makers made early hats with petersham. I will try and dig those up.

Thanks Josh, I'd missed these. I guess I had just assumed they were reno's & not originals. They have to be the rare exception though. To my knowledge French belting or petersham has never been considered "mens" hat ribbon, only the woven edge ribbon. I look at it much like the indy dimensional brim. One guy in england offering it in the 1930's doesn't make it "standard", but rather very rare.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Interesting conversation about petersham ribbon. I did not know that the useage of this style of ribbon was started for womens hats. I looked just shortly ago at my Stetson Flagships and both have this ribbon. BTW: I believe that my Flagships are 50's versions.

IMG7838-XL.jpg

IMG7826-L.jpg

30's examples, and 40's examples - cool. If they, my hats, are indeed 50's versions with petersham this may challenge the connotation of "women's ribbon," and open the consideration of a men's ribbon/ or style option.

The above aside, that is one unique hat. It is worthy of keeping just for the thought provoking characteristics.

RLK, thanks for sharing your unique find.

Eric -

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Ale, I think the first BIN was for $135... not unfair, but it had no takers. The second listing was a straight auction, received 12 bids and sold for $61.

I must be thinking about a different Borsalino starting at $399 I think. Similar to yours. That auction ended and then was re-listed for what I thought a BIN somewhere around $170...
But we digress. Amazing hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou