Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Impervious to rain and holds its shape while incredibly smooth in the hand. Even adjusts for a perfect fit.

Dupont Polyethylene Resin Waterproof Hat. Yes, it is a snap brim that will curl up or down.

P1030348.JPG
P1030346.JPG
P1030347.JPG
P1030351.JPG

We must get a custom hatter on this.

Au contraire, Perry, I beg to differ. Very nice photos of a great looking hat. You must have the corner on those Tildens.

Thanks Al. I must have an affinity for those as I lived in the Detroit area for about 7 years and my wife's family is from there. Unfortunately never made it to Henry the Hatter, but the Tildens seem to be very nice hats.

Perry

One Too Many
pw062.jpg

pw059.jpg

pw061.jpg

Golden tan Tilden from Henry the Hatter in Detroit. 5 1/2 open crown, 2 1/2 brim with thin edge binding. 1" ribbon. Original price $10. It's called a lightweight and has nice, light pliable fur. It needs a cleaning, but not a bad hat at all. I was the only bidder.
Hi my friend ¡¡ por supuesto que es un Gran Sombrero ¡¡¡ yes, It is really a Great Hat, color is special to me ¡¡

RBH

Bartender
Speaking of vent holes. I've been looking for the perfect light weight, rollable hat that will accompany me on my Friday soccer games after work. (I have to change from my work clothes in my office and head to the field, so rolling the hat to fit my sports bag is a must.) A few days ago I was able to buy a late 70s Cervo Traveler from Worth & Worth and decided to modify it a little. I have also been looking into vent holes and studying patterns from hats I've seen here. The tool to make this vents is virtually extinct. Art owns one that allows him to put a nice star pattern of vents. I saw a nice cross pattern in an old bowler someone posted here and after working together with my brother in law, an industrial engineer, we designed a tool that allowed me to create the pattern I wanted but would also allow me to make any pattern I'd want in the future. I can't talk much about the tool as we are going to try to patent it.

Here we go:
tiny, superficial moth hole under the ribbon
C-1.jpg

D-1.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

Nice whip-stitched brim. Extremely light felt. Color "Carbone" (charcoal) as it reads the label under the sweat.

IMG_2569.jpg

Vents from Douglas' Portis. I based my layout on this hat. And cross pattern from bowler which I copied in my hat.

Portis.jpg

bowler.jpg

My Cervo.
IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

I like it! Great job!
Art wore a hat he had made to Monteagle that had vents in the side. I really thought it gave the hat a cvool look.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Rusty. I'm trying to come up with a nice side pattern to put on one of my hats. Jimmy send me one that might be the perfect candidate.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
New melusine taller top hat from Christys London. Very fine hat, only reasonably priced hatter that still makes them. Posted this in the topper thread as well. Looking forward to wearing it around the holidays.

dscn1386.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic, Mario! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

It's great to see another Melton here on the Lounge. Looks to be in beautiful shape. Gorgeous felt/ribbon color combo.

How is the felt?

You may want to post this beauty in the Melton: Art in Hats thread!

Good to see you here!

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Jimmy. Has been some time since I last posted a hat here. Glad you like it! :)

In person the color is actually a wee bit darker than it appears in the photos. The hat is pretty lightweight, the felt rather thin and supple yet able (with a bit of steam) to hold about every crease you throw at it. I think I really like it! :D

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino Western
I picked up this Borso western on the bay recently thinking I could make it work for me with a little work.
The felt is super thin and the edge has a really nice stitch (like a smaller version of my Como)
This hat was very dirty.
Here is the e-bay photo
abbe7572.jpg

I cleaned it up and took it out to open crown.
39dc1d13.jpg

1b62febb.jpg

7056a251.jpg

I was going to try and stretch this and make it work for me, but the sweatband already has a tear in it - so I think it may go back on the block for someone with a little smaller head than me
b8e4ae26.jpg

I am now addicted to non-reeded sweats. For some reason they just seem to be much more comfortable on me.

mattface

Practically Family
It's a cap day!

Before going all crazy on fedoras, I wore caps most every day, and a fedora occasionally. Now that I have such a nice selection fedoras I've been wearing them most every day, but sometimes they are just not the practical choice, and riding a bike to work in the cold of winter as I do most every day is unfortunately one of those cases, so as it gets really cold, I know I'll have to relegate the fedora to evening and weekend wear and don a warmer cap for my daily commutes. Now I've got a few. I've got a couple of wool blend cadet caps which are warm enough, and look good on me, but offer no insulatory benefits in the ear department. 100% wool Knit jeep caps are cute and silly looking, and kinda tough to beat for warmth and versatility but they are not especially classy. A mad bomber would be good to have for those truly arctic < -10ºF mornings, but is too warm for me most of the time, I get overheated when I move around. but there IS a cap that combines all the features I like in one place.

The one I've been coveting for a little over a year now is now mine!

Gentlemen I give you the Filson Mackinaw wool cap. With classic good looks and 24oz mackinaw wool, diamond quilted lining, and concealed wool ear flaps, it's versatile, warm and good looking!

Filson Mackinaw cap by mattface, on Flickr
Forgive the cellphone pic it's all I've got for now

AND as an added bonus it perfectly matches the Charcoal grey Filson Yukon wool Weekender jacket I just got! The pair were a christmas gift from my folks, and together they will keep me warm and looking good through the winter. Wool love! <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis