Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice Biltmore, DNO. You should have lowballed the cashier for it, though. ;)

Alan-- what a cool weave. That's even small for a size 7, though, isn't it?

Well, here's the modern Dobbs I won at opening bid (not totally surprising, I admit). It's fine. I don't know the felt makeup or quality, but it's fine, even with a little taper in the blocking. The color is very, very saturated... but I kind of expected that, and I'm not convinced that it's a bad color for me...yet. The model is the "State Street." Here are a few quicksnaps.
The color is more accurate in the outdoor photo-- I wonder if a black ribbon would tone down the saturated burgundy, or make it stand out more. Anyone?

0032copy.jpg

002copya.jpg

*Edit-- menshats.com says this is a fur felt hat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the notes on the Kenilworth!

Jeff, it's a full and ample size seven. That maroon hat is strong, but nothing you can't festoon with some dressy duds. It looks good on you.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
It does look good on you Jeff. Your idea of the black ribbon could work, I think.
I agree. A black ribbon would subdue the overall affect, and the ribbon it sports now would look great on a straw.

Alan, nice rescue there, but could you please start taking better photographs? I mean, really!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
An auction hat that no one wanted... sometimes I have to adopt these strays. Rather nice, rustic straw in good condition and a good fit as well. The ribbon is tall - a touch off the golden ratio to my eye. I have a Dobbs milan ribbon that has been looking for a home... hmmmm.

This stray certainly went to a very good home. Congrats on the new addition to your menagerie!

Well, here's the modern Dobbs I won at opening bid (not totally surprising, I admit). It's fine. I don't know the felt makeup or quality, but it's fine, even with a little taper in the blocking. The color is very, very saturated... but I kind of expected that, and I'm not convinced that it's a bad color for me...yet. The model is the "State Street." Here are a few quicksnaps.
The color is more accurate in the outdoor photo-- I wonder if a black ribbon would tone down the saturated burgundy, or make it stand out more. Anyone?

Outstanding, seldom encountered color for Dobbs, and you pull it off with ease. I would vote for keeping the rich burgundy grosgrain ribbon. To my eyes it complements the bold felt color, and looks far better than a black ribbon would.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone! I'm giving it a public appearance this morning. I don't feel too awkward, but I did change up the crease to bring it to a more rakish level. For this hat, I think this goes better with my rakish self. ;)

008copys.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Today arrived, an old Wegener Fedora. Very dusty and with floppy felt.
Unlined. From this Old Wegener Logo not much visible.
The color should be a dark blue but it is a Black with gray ribbon.
Wide-brimmed 2-3/4 and high in the front 4-3/4 with bash.

Out of the Box:

wegenerfedora.jpg

wegenerfedora1.jpg

After brushing and steam: It is a black beauty, is my opinion. The felt again stiff and strong

wegenerfedora3.jpg

wegenerfedora4.jpg

wegenerfedora5.jpg

wegenerfedora2rx.jpg

tealseal

A-List Customer
Thrift store find

Couldn't pass this up. Never had a homburg before, and this one is 7 1/2 while I'm 7 3/8, but for $10 I wasn't going to get picky. From what I can tell it's a Stetson with a Millerhats.com liner, but that's about it [huh] What is "Imperial Ultimate"?
img0726l.jpg

img0727iu.jpg

img0728wx.jpg

Best to you all on this Tuesday!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, thank you very much for your kind words. I really appreciate them.
The wegener is a lite felt hat. Very convenient

tealseal, very nice the Stetson, looks really good. My congrats.

Jeff, I like your maroon hat, very striking ( I agree with Zetwal on the crease, though. You could try to reblock with less taper).
Nice clean up on that Wegener, Manfred.
Ready for the range, job? We had straw weather last week, now back to felts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24