Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Cavanagh Fabric Hat

P1040106.JPG

Not quite the same as Lefty's hat. Seems like Grosgrain crown and Baku brim. Satin covered leather sweatband. More tomorrow.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Borsalino Roma from Bencraft. It had an intolerable amount of taper to the crown. No biggie though---hatshaper and steam got it just how I like it:
downsized_0323022133.jpg

Photo315.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Antique Shop Find.

'40s navy blue fedora. "Men About Town". The leather of the sweatband is damaged where the shop mark is, so all that's legible is "Sup. . ." No reorder tag or other markings under the sweatband. The sweatband, despite the damage, is still very supple. It is reeded, with tightly spaced stitching and has a stitched rear seam.

It has very nice fur felt- very thin and floppy, with a low velvet finish to it. Unfortunately, that velvet finish means the camera doesn't like focusing to it, and it picks up dust more easily than other felt finishes. It has a stitched underwelt brim edge.

Brim Width: 2-3/4"
Crown Height: 5-3/4"
Ribbon Width: 1-1/2"
IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

coble

A-List Customer
Two boxes arrived this afternoon.
The first is my first Artlite, silverbelly. The hat arrived open crown, with an open height of 6"

This is my first attempt at creasing the hat. The felt certainly feels different.

The second hat is my sombrero de huaso. The first one that I had, approximately 45 years ago, was wool. I never understood why a shrank so much upon moving back to the states. This time I wanted one made of fur felt.

For additional photos of the Artlite, and the sombrero see Art Fawcett Hall of Fame.

Stunning Lids, i really like the vent hole design, really nice. your sombrero looks like a great hat to take on a horse ride. Both lids are superb.

coble

A-List Customer
Dinerman, great find, looks to be in nice shape, except the sweatband, but the felt looks really good. I really like that color.

jbucklin

Practically Family
JBucklin, I really like your new Borsalino. I plan to buy one for myself shortly--it's extremely light and comfortable. Looks great on you.

It is so light and airy that you don't really feel it when it's on. It's amazingly tough for being a paper-straw hat too. I really stretched the crown when placing it over the straight-sided dome to get rid of the taper and it actually was similar to felt in the way it conformed. This may be the only hat I wear out on those 111 degree days we have in Texas during the summer months.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy