Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Matt, what a find!!! I'm in love with that hat. It isn't a size 7, is it?? ;)

I firmly believe that the ribbon is original because its the exact same bow treatment as other 1920's Stetsons that I own. If the ribbon isn't original, it was replaced in the 20's. Its a period ribbon/bow and the styling suggests its very old. I sincerely hope that the sweatband is not discarded because if its still supple, it can be removed for the cleaning and then stitched back into the hat. I also hope the ribbon is being removed for a separate cleaning. Many of the old ribbon dyes tend to bleed and might stain the felt.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I revise my opinion on that one from the 40s, which I originally said, to the 20s if Joshbru has similar ones. I think the giant ribbon is emblematic of that decade--something you wouldn't find even in the late 1930s, though early 30s yes.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That certainly is a beautiful hat and ribbon.

Well, I had made up my mind to let a handful of my hats into the bay, but instead I have acquired a few new ones. The first is a Portis OR clone. It has a tiny moth hole all the way through the brim, and a few grass stains. The sweatband is also starting to corrode and dry out, but not awful just yet. The felt just simply had an amazing feel to it, so I had to pick it up despite the fact that it's two sizes too big for me (7 3/8). I put a nice new crease in it, though, and it made me want to try it on some other hats that do fit me. It's halfway between a center dent and a cattleman, with a bit of dome telescoping at the top.

002olz.jpg

006wed.jpg

the second is a Dobbs. I took a gamble on this one, and it didn't pay out the way I was hoping. From the auction photos I thought there was a chance that it was a nice steel grey OR clone, but alas, it is very small in crown and brim, and has a LOT of taper. It's quite a nice quality hat, and in extremely good condition.
I recreased it to something reasonable, but I don't know that I'll wear it much, if at all. You may see this one released back into the bay at some point.

004zt.jpg

This is the "good" photo. Wait until you see the profile!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
That certainly is a beautiful hat and ribbon.

Well, I had made up my mind to let a handful of my hats into the bay, but instead I have acquired a few new ones. The first is a Portis OR clone. It has a tiny moth hole all the way through the brim, and a few grass stains. The sweatband is also starting to corrode and dry out, but not awful just yet. The felt just simply had an amazing feel to it, so I had to pick it up despite the fact that it's two sizes too big for me (7 3/8). I put a nice new crease in it, though, and it made me want to try it on some other hats that do fit me. It's halfway between a center dent and a cattleman, with a bit of dome telescoping at the top.

Jeff, sharp Hats, indeed. The best, both Hats looks great on you!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice hats, Matt, Jeff, Robert.

Don't think I've seen a MacLachlan that wasn't really cool.

Recent eBay find for me, Knox 20

D315535-L.jpg

Lord Henry

New in Town
I'm thinking that maybe it was made by Adam for some store as a private label, I searched and couldn't find any information on it.

It says "Genuine Beaver" on one of the Gold Label Stamps on the liner, the other says "Deluxe Quality" and "Aqua Shed treated for water repellency, T.M."

The size 7 tag has the original price tag on the back, $11.25....

The felt is butter soft, it feels great... I was really hoping it would fit better, unfortunately, this one may stay in the closet... the size 7 is just too small...

GoldLabel-Front.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Henry

New in Town
I also purchased a recent (1998 I think according to the numbers inside the sweatband) version of the Borsalino Traveller (The one without the liner and with a cloth sweatband... I know there are a lot of folks that don't care for modern Borsalinos (since moving into the new building in the 80's) but wow, it's my first Borsalino and it's extremely comfortable, and feels great. Although, I will likely pluck the feathers off of it to make it look more casual... I also ordered another Borsalino that's a bit older... but that one hasn't arrived yet so I am unable to do a side-by-side comparison.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
These comments mean a lot! Thanks, and now it's even more heartbreaking that I can't wear that Portis with the slightest inkling of a breeze.

That MacLachlan is very nice, rlk. Does the OR clone have the same amazingly soft finish as their other fedoras?

David. Looks like you've found a real winner there! MAN, that looks sharp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy