Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Larry

New in Town
rlk said:
4816742528_ac4894723d_b.jpg

Required a major re-sculpting(small box and general crushing/distortion), but a whole lotta shade for $14.99. Braid and cowhide band.
Very nice, sir. Being a Texan, I'm of course biased. ;)
~ Larry

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mossant Nutria

4820936199_c7d766b9d3_b.jpg

4821553528_e9c30afd74_b.jpg

No ribbon and unfortunate moth chew location but outstanding felt and construction. Slightly thicker than typical. 2-5/16" brim.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Knox Premier

This Premier showed up today. Interesting button attachments for the liner.
More in the School of Hard Knox thread.

B

knoxpremier_8.jpg

knoxpremier_3.jpg

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Hi:

I am a newbie, with my first post on this forum.

I recently bought a late-40s Borsalino off everbody's favorite auction site. Here's how it looked:

rmm.image.medium_image

Well, I wanted to spiff it up a bit, so I sent it to a reputable hat rennovator, often recommended on this site. A few weeks later it arrived back via UPS.

Here's how it looks now::eek:

rmm.contents.raw

Shall we say, an interesting bash? Money well spent, I think :mad: NOT!!!

Maybe UPS kicked it all the way back, rather than putting it in their truck!

Well, what's the verdict? Can it be readily salvaged? Or, will I have to send it off to a (different) reputable hat rennovator to fix it?

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Peter_E, I think your photo links are broken. I don't see anything.

If the problem is with whoever renovated it, I'd give them a call and see if they will fix it.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Aren't the links working? Hhmmm. The photos show on my computer and they did in the preview.

Anyway, I have contacted the hat rennovator by email, and await his reply. We'll see how it all works out. It's disappointing, though, to get one's hat back after reblocking, expecting it to look good, and finding that it looks like someone stomped on it!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Peter_E said:
Well, what's the verdict? Can it be readily salvaged? Or, will I have to send it off to a (different) reputable hat rennovator to fix it?

The hat doesn't appear to be damaged, only crushed. Was the box crushed in transit? If not, that is an odd state of affairs.

Either way, it should be an easy fix once underway. ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The photos work for me. In the first one, the hat looks like it needs to be blocked, but also looks to have a pretty terrible finish to the felt - like something has been scratching it. The second photo is pretty dark. While the hat is out of shape, that's easy enough to fix. It probably just got a bit crumpled in the mail. However, it's pretty tough to draw any conclusions from your photos.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Peter_E said:
Hi:

Here's how it looks now::eek:

rmm.contents.raw

Shall we say, an interesting bash? Money well spent, I think :mad: NOT!!!

Maybe UPS kicked it all the way back, rather than putting it in their truck!

You can see how the crown was shaped before it got messed up in shipping. Try pushing it back into shape with your hands and see if it has enough 'memory' to take the crown shaping back.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Thank you for your reponses, Gentlemen.

It was damaged in transit. The box was smashed in on one side. I feel that it could have been packed better to withstand the trip, though.

The finish originally was not really as bad as the photo suggests. Of course, the hat wasn't in tip-top shape, which is why I sent it for rework in the first place. I realize it is unlikely to look "new" again, but that's OK. I just want it to be wearable without looking like part of a Halloween Hobo costume.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
zetwal said:
.... Are the people who did the blocking for you going to do anything to help? Are they in agreement that it was poorly packed for shipping? Or are you on your own?

Well, I just received this response from them a few minutes ago:

OH my, did a truck run over the box?? Its not super common, but not unheard of (maybe about 1 in 1000 shippings) does UPS destroy the box. Please send the hat back to us, and we'll reblock it back to shape. Apologies--​

So, although I am disappointed to have to wait a bit longer for the hat to be right, I am encouraged by their willingess to fix it.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks guys---I like it. It's a perfect summer hat. BTW RBH, it was down to this hat or a Whippet like yours, which I almost chose, but David (the manager of the outlet) gave me his honest opinion, saying that the Soul looked better on me. I'll probably be back within a couple of weeks to get the Whippet though! ;)

RBH

Bartender
jbucklin said:
Thanks guys---I like it. It's a perfect summer hat. BTW RBH, it was down to this hat or a Whippet like yours, which I almost chose, but David (the manager of the outlet) gave me his honest opinion, saying that the Soul looked better on me. I'll probably be back within a couple of weeks to get the Whippet though! ;)
I really like my Whippet. The stiffness off it does not bother me at all. I like the high crown and the 2 1\2 brim fits it perfect. But I did not really like the sharp up turn on the back of the brim. So on mine I just have it down.

By the way, will we see you in March?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy