Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Was in a bit of a rush earlier...

This is a 50's Knox I found in just about NOS shape at an antique store. It was originally a 6 7/8, stained, dirty, and smelly. I sent it to Aureliano, who was kind enough to resize, reblock, clean, and reflange the brim. It's now in excellent shape, with a slightly lower crown (which actually looks a bit better on me), and the brim isn't warped like how a hat normally looks after being put through a stretcher. Kudos to Aureliano for his excellent work!

The hat appears to be 50's to me, plastic liner tip, and a price tag marked $10. I chose to have it worked on because in it's prior condition, the staining made it unwearable. Aureliano worked some of his magic on it, and removed all of the stains! And a 2-size jump isn't easy, especially when keeping all of the original features.

The best part for me is that the price of the hat (along with a Knox 2-hat box) was $10 for the lot!

Thanks again to Aureliano for his excellent work!

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mossant satin steel.

5590126150_a1e968dd00_b.jpg

5589537665_5ecb0d77bc_z.jpg
5589532181_3f38f4fdbc_z.jpg

Another "Gaufrette" edge treatment. Dark Gray/Steel satin finish from Cleveland. Looks to be quite old.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
You'd need to ask Aureliano about that... Although some parts of the sweat have a slight discoloration, as if there was a stretcher pushing against it. I sent it to him and let him work his magic.

Lovely Mossant, Robert.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Glad to hear the Knox is working out for you and that you like what I did to it. To answer Alan's question: I learnt one of those old hatter tricks for stretching a hat with the sweat still attached. Two sizes is the most I've been able to achieve without compromising the hat. The slight discoloration of the sweat you see could actually be from some leather conditioner I applied to the sweatband prior and after the process.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glad to hear the Knox is working out for you and that you like what I did to it. To answer Alan's question: I learnt one of those old hatter tricks for stretching a hat with the sweat still attached. Two sizes is the most I've been able to achieve without compromising the hat. The slight discoloration of the sweat you see could actually be from some leather conditioner I applied to the sweatband prior and after the process.
Great job w/it.....you're gonna have to pm me that trick man.

Excellent, Robert!! I was watching that one. The weave pattern just looked so awesome from the auction pictures, but in your photos, the color and weave look so much better. Beautiful boater! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

The ribbon is fantastic too... interesting to see the fond marketing reference to Tuscany way back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy