Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iwan Plomp

New in Town
Thanks for that info. I've been eyeing a Poet for a week or two online, but seeing the comparison pic and reading your review confirms the FedIV as a better choice for me.

-Brando
The Fed 4 is by far a better Fedora. i am a lucky owner of a regular Fed ( not the deluxe) and its 10 times better. for not more of the prize that i payt for the poet.

its not that i feel ript of, by buying the Poet.
img000137p.jpg
but i will not buy one from this shop any more.. not that i need one..if got enough hats for now..

Lumberjack shirt i found hanging in the closet, bought it 10 years ago, but it was to tight back then. now it fits good. lost some weight i gess. see the pipe in the pocket. kind regards. Iwan Plomp. Rotterdam. Holland. The Netherlands.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that info. I've been eyeing a Poet for a week or two online, but seeing the comparison pic and reading your review confirms the FedIV as a better choice for me.

-Brando

As I understand it, the Christy's Adventurer is the same hat as the modern HJ poet but with a different label.

Iwan Plomp

New in Town
As I understand it, the Christy's Adventurer is the same hat as the modern HJ poet but with a different label.
no ... that whas ... i am duch i realy dont know how to say it in english. but no.. not the same. and for a update on the poet. after one time the sweath band is already totaly warpt. i am sorry i ca not translate all what i think in english.

but i realy feel that the hat i bought here:http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/...ete/Herbert-Johnson-Indy-Poet-Fedora-Hut.html is super bad... and the cristys is a totaly diverent hat.and company.but much cheaper. and better quality..

RBH

Bartender
no ... that whas ... i am duch i realy dont know how to say it in english. but no.. not the same. and for a update on the poet. after one time the sweath band is already totaly warpt. i am sorry i ca not translate all what i think in english.

but i realy feel that the hat i bought here:http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/...ete/Herbert-Johnson-Indy-Poet-Fedora-Hut.html is super bad... and the cristys is a totaly diverent hat.and company.but much cheaper. and better quality..

I think you said it well.
Welcome to the Lounge.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Biltmore Ark

A little graduation present - to myself!:D
My first felt, and boy she's a bute. Nothing like my cheap Jaxon woolie. I feel like I'm finally part of the club.:cool:

And what a difference it makes when a hat actually FITS! I absolutely love this lid.

I haven't seen many Biltmore pics on the Lounge, so I'll remedy that here. (sorry for the terrible lighting)

And finally, yours truly. Ready to hit the town.

And I couldn't have done it without all the help from my fellow Loungers. Thanks guys. You're the best.

--

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You're living up to your name, DudeInBlack! Got a cool black fedora to complete the suit. That one looks nice, I like the shape and pure black aesthetics of the felt and ribbon.

Iwan Plomp

New in Town

here another link. maybe the Poet is not so bad as i tought. i think its much more expansive then what i got it for. hmmm...:http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/poet_hat/

T Rick

Practically Family
Pt. 1 of 2

Champs! Thursday, got a nice surprise when not one, but two great vintage Champs arrived via Priority Mail to my door. Both from eBay (different Sellers), they were not expected until the next day (one) and possibly the next week (the other).

Further nice surprise was the condition, both excellent, and the fact that they both were just very slightly large (no worries shrinking the sweat to my head a little).

standard.jpg

We'll start on the bottom, my first Pork Pie (and oddly, my first black fur felt), and an impulse buy (really, would I wear a Porkie? :eusa_doh:). After seeing it, I really think I will (time will tell).

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

They weren't kidding with this one, it's a bit on the "fuzzy" side, I'd guess it may be what they call a velour finish. Very pleasing to the touch.

standard.jpg

I really like the band on this one, wide and a nice detail to it.

standard.jpg

The inside is nice too, in really good shape. I think this one will be a keeper, it has already molded to my head from wearing it around the house, and it doesn't look half bad (really never pictured myself wearing one of these!).

standard.jpg

Part 2 coming up...

T Rick

Practically Family
Champs, Part II

standard.jpg

Second is the nice steel blue/gray Featherweight. Nice lightweight unlined fur felt, an alternative to the straws for warmer weather I hope. It's also already pretty well molded to my head. It was also my first experiment with my new steamer, as one part of the narrowly bound brim was a bit wonky from being stored poorly. This is the before, I will put up an after picture in another thread when I wear it, but the steam worked the treat and the brim is now fine.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Another couple of things addressed with the steamer, two small "kinks" in the lines of the teardrop (at twelve and three o'clock in this pic), both easily smoothed with a bit of steam.

standard.jpg

Inside is clean, with the requisite "buttery" leather sweat band. Truly a beauty!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Milt's sold someone a great hat, seems unlikely the owner wore it much (if ever). My gain, love finding vintage items that are in such pristine shape!

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
@Neophyte: Thank you kindly, sir. I love how sharp the snap is.

You're living up to your name, DudeInBlack! Got a cool black fedora to complete the suit. That one looks nice, I like the shape and pure black aesthetics of the felt and ribbon.

I'm a man who works best with less. And nothing does simplicity better than black.
Bit of a pain to keep clean though.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
T Rick: Very nice Champs, I especially like the Featherweight.

Great catch, Perry, that Dobbs looks swell!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24