Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm stoked about this baby from the bay! It's in pristine condition, save for a smudge or two on the liner, and though it's labeled as a 7 1/4, it seems to have been made exactly for my 7 1/8 long oval head-- sometime around 1923-1934 (the original box included from Southcomb Hats, Baltimore, had an eight cent Grant stamp as postage), making this the oldest in my collection as well.
I particularly enjoy the tassel attached to the sweatband's bow.
kaufmannderby0202.jpg

kaufmannderby0172.jpg

kaufmannderby01322.jpg

kaufmannderby0142.jpg

kaufmannderby0152.jpg

kaufmannderby0212.jpg

I'm stoked about this baby from the bay! It's in pristine condition, save for a smudge or two on the liner, and though it's labeled as a 7 1/4, it seems to have been made exactly for my 7 1/8 long oval head-- sometime around 1923-1934 (the original box included from Southcomb Hats, Baltimore, had an eight cent Grant stamp as postage), making this the oldest in my collection as well.
I particularly enjoy the tassel attached to the sweatband's bow.

That is a real beauty and in pristine condition. I really like the profile, sweatband design and cool sweatband bow. Is there any address listed for Southcomb Hats? I live near Baltimore so I am interested in Baltimore hat connections.

Eagle Straw Works

Yeddo style boater from San Francisco. Unfortunately it will not be a wearer... too small. The seller's measurement of 22" was an inch or so generous for this true 6 3/4. Still, a nice early example with a beautiful liner imprint. 2.8 ounces.

Only reference I can find to the maker is an 1890 want ad from the San Francisco Morning Call.

eagle5.jpg

eagle4.jpg

eagle3.jpg

eagle2.jpg

eagle1.jpg

chronicle2.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Great hats with interesting features.
Perry, I love the Bold Look binding on that one.
Bowlerman, that sweat is fantastic.
Alan, I've always been a fan of the textured liner. Any info on the AB&Sons part of

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks to all who posted about my Kaufman derby! The sweatband is indeed amazing-- cool embossments that I assume were used to elicit extra comfort.

I'll reiterate, Alan-- what an amazing boater. I've never seen anything like it. Is that Shelob sitting in the middle? ;) so cool.

Josh- have you posted yours before? I'd love to see those pics too. I'm not turning up much about them with google yet.

Steve- I believe I do have the address of Southcomb Hats. I'll edit this post soon when I upload a photo. there.

kaufmannderby01022.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Outrageous hats gentlemen!

Hatto - you shouldn't be allowed to pillage our area's stores for nice hats without organizing going for a beer with some of the locals!

Alan - I've never seen anything like that boater. Shame it's not going to fit you, you'd be rather distinguished wearing it.

Bowlerman - wow, you are on a roll, two great hats this week!

Alex - that furry Stetson is rather cool. Do you have any more pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn