Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThriftyBusiness

New in Town
Stetson Mallory

Here is a light grey size 6 7/8 Stetson Mallory I got on eBay
It's a little deformed on one side but when I put it on:
DSC04647.jpg

DSC04649.jpg

DSC04650.jpg

DSC04651.jpg

DSC04652.jpg

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04656.jpg

DSC04659.jpg

DSC04660.jpg

I like the amber lining.

I know what you mean. And I wish the old boy was sharing more with us about his enterprise.
+1!!!!
So not only does he have all the hatter tools to block & flange & finish hats, he also "hand felts" from the raw fur & dyes the felt bodies? http://www.finefurhats.com/technique.html
After visiting Winchester & HatCo factories, I'd love to see more on Dennis' enterprise. I was always amazed by stories of John B. felting out in the old West, especially after seeing Winchester factory.

RBH

Bartender
+1!!!!
So not only does he have all the hatter tools to block & flange & finish hats, he also "hand felts" from the raw fur & dyes the felt bodies? http://www.finefurhats.com/technique.html
After visiting Winchester & HatCo factories, I'd love to see more on Dennis' enterprise. I was always amazed by stories of John B. felting out in the old West, especially after seeing Winchester factory.

This is almost to good to be true.
Let us see more.

This might explain it.
He has a processor.

http://www.finefurhats.com/forsale.html

Kinda like Winchester is.......

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I also have acquired a Grey 6 7/8 Beaver Hat Major, which I've never heard of so again I call upon the loungers expertise if they would be so kind to help me out.

Hey Thrifty, if 6 7/8 is your hat size you'll be able to live up to you name and get yourself some nice hats at great prices!

I assume that Beaver Hats is the same company as Beaver Brand that Fedora Store sells? If so they are pretty nice hats - there are some pics here on the forum of a Silverbelly Beaver Brand that Bowlerman owns which is a real beauty.

Although I prefer wider brim hats (just sold my last 2 inch brim one) yours looks to be fine - enjoy wearing it!

ThriftyBusiness

New in Town
Thanks DJH! I'm a very odd hat size I lay somewhere in between a 6 7/8 and a 7 so I can get hats at good prices. I just got to watch how many hats I get in one setting. :p
I enjoy the stingy brims a lot, and the stetson mallory is my first wide-ish brim hat and I think it will look good on nice occasions. Got to get them cleaned up though, any good place in Ohio? LOL! Thanks again.

This is almost to good to be true.
Let us see more.

This might explain it.
He has a processor.

http://www.finefurhats.com/forsale.html

Kinda like Winchester is.......
As I read it, the processor just takes the pelts & returns the fur, same as Winchester getting those bags of fur from Europe. JMHO
Maybe they go a step further since Winchester has all those machines to get the raw fur cleaned before blowing the felt body....

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Just received the Stetson Retro & Stetson Whippet from Del Monico. For $50 for the Retro, it's not a bad hat at all. It's exactly what I wanted, a decent hat to wear to the beach.
I was a little hesitant to purchase the Whippet due to what I read about it in past threads. It definitely has the the lower crown height and taper, but being the Whippet lover that I am, I threw caution to the wind and bought it. I can't say that I'm disappointed. It's certainly no vintage Whippet, but it's a nice hat that looks good on me and I will be happy to wear it in the fall.
I also just wanted to add that Del Monico Hatters is just a great place to order from. The person I talked with on the phone was very nice and didn't make me feel like I was just taking up his time. They shipped the hats well packaged and quickly.

As I read it, the processor just takes the pelts & returns the fur, same as Winchester getting those bags of fur from Europe. JMHO
Maybe they go a step further since Winchester has all those machines to get the raw fur cleaned before blowing the felt body....

When I visited TONAK this past April I saw the complete felting process (felt and hats are made in the same factory complex) starting from the rabbit and hare pelts. I wish I could have taken pictures or made a video but they wouldn't allow it. They also sell large amounts of rabbit (including all white ones) and hare pelts which they source out of the Czech Republic (some are TONAK owned farms), Ukraine and Russia along with processed fur.

Wish you could've too!
At Winchester & in HatCo video. there is a process that takes a new felt body that can be torn by hand & shrinks it to a much smaller size & tougher. Wonder how a self-felter accomplishes this"

When I visited TONAK this past April I saw the complete felting process (felt and hats are made in the same factory complex) starting from the rabbit and hare pelts. I wish I could have taken pictures or made a video but they wouldn't allow it. They also sell large amounts of rabbit (including all white ones) and hare pelts which they source out of the Czech Republic (some are TONAK owned farms), Ukraine and Russia along with processed fur.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
[...] there is a process that takes a new felt body that can be torn by hand & shrinks it to a much smaller size & tougher. [...]

There is a scene of this being done by hand in the DVD called Making a Stetson c1925. It's really fascinating to watch.

Wish you could've too!
At Winchester & in HatCo video. there is a process that takes a new felt body that can be torn by hand & shrinks it to a much smaller size & tougher. Wonder how a self-felter accomplishes this"

They were a bit paranoid. :) They also wouldn't show me their dying operation.

I have a video of a old hat maker from Austria that makes his own felt from processed fur. I will send you the link in a pm. It's in German but you can see the steps. He has his own tiny felt factory. I was lucky enough to visit his shop back in Feburary of 2010.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Terry,
I got a new Stetson Whitehall Genuine Shantung Panama straw this summer in "grey mix," though it seems more blue than grey to me.
I grabbed it cuz it reminded me of hats I remembered guys wearing when I was a kid in the '50s.
I have worn it a lot this summer and I really like it.
I actually spent a little on decent straws down at Wichita Hat Works this year and since Kansas is breaking heat records this year, I am sure glad I've got them.

The Sand Ridge looks cool ... what sort of straw is it?

Sam

Vfan1983

New in Town
Hey guys. I just won my first fedora off eBay on Friday and I got it in the mail yesterday. It's a Royal Stetson and I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks could help me get an approximate date on it. From my own research I'm guessing it's from the '60's, but I'm pretty much a novice so any input would be greatly appreciated. Also just to note, they grey is a bit darker than it appears in the pictures.

100_1861.jpg

100_1862.jpg

100_1863.jpg

100_1865.jpg

100_1873.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I've been wearing fedora's for nearly 7 years, but this is my first vintage one. I'm a novice when it comes to dating hats, so I'll leave it to you fellow loungers to figure out how old it is.
CIMG1367.jpg

CIMG1370.jpg

CIMG1373.jpg

CIMG1374.jpg

CIMG1375.jpg

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Terry,
I got a new Stetson Whitehall Genuine Shantung Panama straw this summer in "grey mix," though it seems more blue than grey to me.
I grabbed it cuz it reminded me of hats I remembered guys wearing when I was a kid in the '50s.
I have worn it a lot this summer and I really like it.
I actually spent a little on decent straws down at Wichita Hat Works this year and since Kansas is breaking heat records this year, I am sure glad I've got them.

The Sand Ridge looks cool ... what sort of straw is it?

Sam

I'm not sure Sam but I'm assuming it's some kink of synthetic. It is a nice looking hat (I think). You can also wear it with the front turned up which actually looks pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou