Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stan & Van Cotton Cap

P1020673.JPG
P1020674.JPG

scooter

Practically Family
A couple new hats here that I picked up a short while ago. The first is an Adams Pacesetter, kind of a khaki brown color the label calls Serpent, interestingly enough. That would be one of cats, Sasha, as my supporting cast.
IMG_0077.JPG

The second would be a Champ Californian, which is rather an olive drab more green hue, and unfortunately fell victim to moths at some point, as seen in the second and third pics. I'm thinking I can just replace the ribbon with a slightly wider one and cover the moths handiwork.
IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is a good picture of something I've been wondering about for a while. A couple of my older, thicker, denser hats have a divot like this.
I have always assumed they were moth bites, but there is something about them I like. You don't see divots like this in newer (50s and newer)
hats. See those sharp edges? No fraying at all. Straight and smooth.

I wonder if these are manufacturing errors, and not insect damage?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
No, definitely moth or other "bugs".
I have a couple of hats that got damaged after I owned them. One has a perfectly round pocket but not all the way through. The other has a few surface tracks that are little troughs. I have never caught a moth near my hats or found a larva eating on them.
I have had a Pendelton wool coat that also was chewed on in the same way.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It may not be new, but it's new to me, a vintage Dobbs I recently bought from Ordinary Guy:
DSCN3288.jpg
I really like that one, blackthorn. Can you describe the color in detail? I ask because I have a Lee Trinity that looks to be a similar hue, a dark brown-grey that reflects some purple in direct sunlight, and I adore the felt color. It's a little too big for me so I sometimes look around for a hatter that carries this color, but find its subtleties hard to describe and recreate.

On that note [and off topic] I also tried on a really fantastic specimen of a Black velour Kevin McAndrew fedora with about a 2 1/8" cavanagh edge this afternoon. Drat the fact that it was also too big and more than I really wanted to pay for it! A very fine hat, for sure. That hurt a little.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
That is really nice, I like the cream white color. I have not yet owned one but this makes me want to start searching for one. Where did you find that, Cookie?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I really like that one, blackthorn. Can you describe the color in detail? I ask because I have a Lee Trinity that looks to be a similar hue, a dark brown-grey that reflects some purple in direct sunlight, and I adore the felt color. It's a little too big for me so I sometimes look around for a hatter that carries this color, but find its subtleties hard to describe and recreate.

On that note [and off topic] I also tried on a really fantastic specimen of a Black velour Kevin McAndrew fedora with about a 2 1/8" cavanagh edge this afternoon. Drat the fact that it was also too big and more than I really wanted to pay for it! A very fine hat, for sure. That hurt a little.
Bowlerman, I would call it a deep chocolate brown. I had to use sunlight to make it show up because in indoor pics, the flash just gets eaten up.

Van De Laak

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy