Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
WHOA!! That hat came out great, Steve! It looked like a winner from the auction pictures, but after a little elbow grease, it just looks phenomenal. I love the back bow treatment, but especially because the frayed ribbon has a "v" cut to it. That wide overwelted brim treatment is very cool too. It looks to be from around WW1. It actually reminds me a lot of this 1913 Mallory Ad:

Josh, Thanks! It does look the hat in the 1913 Mallory Ad. The Elegant & Leger (Casual) also fits the theme.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Hi

Ordered one, they have a 5.5 inch open crown and a 4 inch brim. They have Chocolate, Silverbelly, Silvermist, and another color (Brain Fart). I ordered one in Silverbelly. I hope they look like the ones they have online for $360 and up (way up). According to
http://www.canadiancowboy.com/hats.html
20x is 75% beaver felt. Sounds too good to be TRUE.

later

I REALLY want to know what you think when it arrives. I'm guessing today (Saturday) or MOnday.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Dermotta Wien Homburg, size 58cm, gray. The seller and original owner are the same as the Hückel (Weilheim) Chevreau with a date stamp of 12/55. This is a high quality hat with a very nice felt (other colors mixed with the gray) and finish. Also in excellent condition.

6283981588_5d6a0729d5_b.jpg

6283980702_5a2b4a922d_b.jpg

6283983210_1f88365134_b.jpg

6283528017_d757734ec2_b.jpg

Steve, now that is just sublime.

bloodandmood

New in Town
Found this Resistol Kitten Finish at a vintage store in Burbank this week. Only $40, not too bad. Fits like a charm. Not sure of the date on it... looks a bit too clean to be from earlier than the mid/late 1960s.

DSC_2313.jpg

DSC_2301.jpg

DSC_2321.jpg

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Yeah, it's really too bad that Resistol no longer offers fedoras, I'd buy one in a minute! Stetson does, but even though they're "sister companies", the Stetsons just don't fit the same.

Nice hat, blood&mood...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 7XCB Employee Presentation Hat

P1020963.JPG
P1020961.JPG

P1020960.JPG

A very firm piece of felt. Quite a bit of curl in the 2-1/8" brim--real snappy. Definitely no mode edge here. The binding is executed more neatly than typical moderate priced factory examples.

Corky

Practically Family
My new Open Road - Halloween Edition

I acquired a new Open Road in Silverbelly a while back, but never got around to wearing it.

That Swoop on the down turned brim which is so popular around the Lounge doesn't seem to work for me.

So while watching The Duke in Fort Apache on TCM last week, when Henry Fonda chewed out his officers - I got an idea:
[Col. Thursday is addressing the officers]
Lt. Col. Thursday: Gentlemen, I did not seek this command, but since it's been assigned me, I intend to make this regiment the finest on the frontier. I fully realize that prolonged duty in a small outpost can lead to carelessness... and inefficiency and laxity in dress and deportment. I call it to your attention that only one of you has reported here this morning properly dressed. The uniform, gentlemen, is not a subject for individual, whimsical expression. We're not cowboys at this post... or freighters with a load of alfalfa.

HatB5.jpg

I was inspired to block the new Open Road into something a bit more memorable.

Front view:

HatB1.jpg

Side view:

HatB2.jpg

Bottom view: (I always remove the liners from my felt hats -- it makes them cooler in California's summer.)

HatB3.jpg

Top view: (The classic teardrop block, I think Duke's hat in the photo above was blocked in a Diamond.)

HatB4.jpg

I have blocked a number of older, lesser hats into this same Rifleman's Roll in the past, but this was my first experiment with a new top of the line 4 X felt hat.

I am considering replacing the thin ribbon with a rawhide saddle string of the same width.

One can still wear the hat with the brim snapped down, but the effect is that of a beat-up a flat brim. It definitely lacks the celebrated Swoop.

This brim treatment seems to have the additional benefit of eliminating the Indiana Jones comments.

Anyway, Happy Halloween to all!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner