Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Knox Fifteen Tom'n'Jerry

P1030352.JPG
P1030353.JPG
P1030354.JPG
P1030355.JPG

From a numerically challenged seller. It turns out to be a size 7 and the 3.5" brim is just under 2-5/8". Appears to be a glued overwelt-poor man's Cavanagh edge. Nice not quite suede soft finish with abit more moth light snacking than described- mostly on the underside and small bites. Mid 50's.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
I can see them fine on Picasa and the sharing is set correctly, but nothing linked today is visible on the FL posts. The links are identical to those used in the past. Any ideas?

Cutting and pasting your links into another IE browser window brings up an "Error 404" response. Something is not right with Picasa's sharing?

Robert, I found this on the web. Give it a try.

"I had my permissions set correctly, but Google's software
was rejecting access. The solution was to change
the permission on my photos from "to anyone with the link"
to "public", and then back. "

B

Last edited:
Panama body - untrimmed, unblocked - old?

Anyone have any ideas about this? It looks like it was made last week. I'm not sure if the brim can be finished in the U.S? A nice piece of weaving in its present form - perhaps it should stay that way.

rawpanama1.jpg

rawpanama2.jpg

rawpanama3.jpg

rawpanama4.jpg

rawpanama5.jpg

rawpanama6.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I was watching that on Ebay, very nice, Alan. My feeling is that a rematador might be needed to back-weave that brim. Perhaps, though, it could be trimmed and then binded with ribbon? that for sure will prevent unraveling... Just a thought.

I was hoping you might share your thoughts, Ale... does the age seem possible? Were these once imported in this form to be back woven in the U.S? Or is it a souvenir?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I was hoping you might share your thoughts, Ale... does the age seem possible? Were these once imported in this form to be back woven in the U.S? Or is it a souvenir?
It seems from your photos to have a nice patina. However it also looks brand new. The straw looks thick, do you see any vueltas? The weave pattern is not something I have seen done either in Cuenca or Montecristi. I wonder if this hat was actually woven by Panamanian weavers... I'm trying to read the little leaflet and, along with the two places in Ecuador, there seems to be one from Panama. Am I right?
Did you unroll it? I've never heard of hats being back-woven here in the USA and yes, in Montecristi you can buy unfinished bodies like this but they aren't sold particularly as souvenirs. This hat is so interesting!

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Wow, very interesting, and very nice, Alan. Looks to be an exporter's sample from, of all places, Panama! :eusa_doh:

Definitely has some good age to it, I think, and if it were me I would leave it as is, an example of Panamanian toquilla weaving.

It seems from your photos to have a nice patina. However it also looks brand new. The straw looks thick, do you see any vueltas? The weave pattern is not something I have seen done either in Cuenca or Montecristi. I wonder if this hat was actually woven by Panamanian weavers... I'm trying to read the little leaflet and, along with the two places in Ecuador, there seems to be one from Panama. Am I right?
Did you unroll it? I've never heard of hats being back-woven here in the USA and yes, in Montecristi you can buy unfinished bodies like this but they aren't sold particularly as souvenirs. This hat is so interesting!

Thanks for your comments, Ale and Al. If you open the leaflet images in a new window, they should show at full resolution and be readable. The seller is Panamanian and perhaps this weaving is as well. It does look different in weave than the Ecuadorian hats that I own. There is of course no guarantee that the leaflet came with this hat originally. The hat does appear as new and the bamboo container doesn't show any signs of great age.

I did peek on the inside of the body... it would take steam to open it fully and I haven't tried that as of yet. I did notice a vuelta the sideof the hat that appears to be untrimmed.

My inclination is to leave the hat in this form. I'm not sure how one would go about finishing it without additional weaving work other than by cutting and ribbon binding the edge, which I don't think I would like. It is a very evenly woven hat of medium-fine weave but I have a few other finer panamas to wear during the handful of hot summer days. Perhaps I can show it to Graham and get his thoughts during a future trip to Chicago.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Guyer Philadelphia

P1030380.JPG
P1030378.JPG
P1030381.JPG
P1030385.JPG

Generous 2-3/4"+ brim with binding that seems to be over a doubled or felted edge. High quality fairly dense and weighty felt. Picasa operating normally again[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters