Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Randall. The brim is 1 7/8", which is a touch narrow for me, but it turned out really nice after the ironing. I also pushed up the back crease to a tear drop which straightened out the sides a little; it changed the whole look of the hat from when I got it.

tealseal

A-List Customer
A new hat, rather different that the usual!

A friend of mine returned recently from Spain, and brought me this treat! A traditional black Basque beret made by Signes, one of Spain's most storied hatmakers. It's quite a thrill to wear. Enjoy the pictures!

Top:
img3082t.jpg

Inside, with the liner:
img3083t.jpg

Close-up of the label:
img3088k.jpg

Sweatband detail:
img3092c.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
So here's an interesting hat that is rather different to my usual styles.

It's a Bailey of Hollywood western/outback style, made of some kind of man-made straw material (I think). I won this on The Headwear Association's Facebook page.

I've worn it out a couple of times, I think it is pretty good as a ventilated hat for walks on warm evenings.

D316334-L.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Alan, congratulations on your latest find. It's a great feeling to find an earlier hat in such great condition. The possibility of wearing pre-WWII hats is something very special, isn't it?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
That is a splendid Homburg, Alan. Glad to see it ended up in the hands of a lounger who appreciates such things, and it looks better on you than it would have on me anyway! Congrats.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Cavanagh Milan

Got this great vintage Cavanagh Milan from Robert today. I absolutely LOVE the quality of this hat! Crown is 4 1/4 at front crease, 4" at the back. Brim is 1 7/8". I'm not usually one to go for stingy's under 2", but when I iron the brim flat on the sides it gives it a really nice profile above my face.

This pic was taken by Robert before he shipped it off to me...

P1050036.jpg

These pics were taken tonight after a steam and iron, which gave it a really clean break...

photo2-15.jpg

photo1-14.jpg

photo4-5.jpg

The color is amazing in person; it's almost iridescent in the right light. The quality of the weave is superb, very tight. Will probably swap the ribbon for a solid color down the road. But until then, I am very excited to wear this during the rest of the summer!! Thanks again, Robert!! :thumb:

Alan, congratulations on your latest find. It's a great feeling to find an earlier hat in such great condition. The possibility of wearing pre-WWII hats is something very special, isn't it?

Thank you! It is indeed a special pleasure.

I haven't bought many hats in the last several months, but I did win an auction for a 1940s St. Regis a couple of months ago. It was surprisingly stiff - so much so that I never brought it home. It was still in my office for comparison with the today's arrival. The earlier homburg retains all the qualities of a soft fedora with an upward brim. The St. Regis is much stiffer. It would require a steam bath to hold side pinches. An interesting comparison.

Jared and Jeff - thanks for the thumbs up!

Additional pictures posted in the pre-1940s Stetson Dress Hats thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo