Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I sure love what my wife finds for me....she is a sweetie and a saint!

Noggin shot....and then I get this one here also....

My very first "cap", thanks to randoochie (hey Randall, I LOVE IT) Now, to find a nice Brit made 3 speed......(weeeee haaah)! OH sorry these are coming out sideways...my bad on the camera setting!

region4

New in Town
Update, I searched all through the Stetson Liner thread and couldn't find one that matched. Perhaps it's a Stetson division, such as Mallory, after the acquisition? I'm sure there's someone who would know better, but the beaver and eagle make me think Stetson has some influence... I could be wrong tho. :D

Are there any markings on the sweat?

Thanks m0nk. When I first snapped it up, my hunch was that it might be a Mallory as it looked just like a black version of a Mallory Ten that I own, but then it would have said "Mallory Ten" on the sweatband, silly me. The sweatband itself is black and narrow, unlike the wide brown band of my Mallory, with just the words "Beaver Felt" imprinted in gold type on the left side and nothing else.

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
Leather outback hat purchased at Saratoga Saddlery in Saratoga Springs, NY. This hat is top quality - much better than anything made by Henschel.

hat_zps52c7914a.jpg

Here is a link to the hat's maker. All hats are handmade in the United States.

http://www.headnhome.com/hatstore/

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Daniel, both hats look great! I have a crook in my neck now, 'cause I wanted to be sure, but I can say with certainty, the cattleman's crease works well on you! Kudos to your hat-finding sweetie! :D

Mystic

Practically Family
Thanks m0nk. When I first snapped it up, my hunch was that it might be a Mallory as it looked just like a black version of a Mallory Ten that I own, but then it would have said "Mallory Ten" on the sweatband, silly me. The sweatband itself is black and narrow, unlike the wide brown band of my Mallory, with just the words "Beaver Felt" imprinted in gold type on the left side and nothing else.

That liner logo looks like a combination of Mallory and Stetson with a little something else thrown in the make-up......

I also have a mallory Ten and it has the same, or as best I can make out, circle figures across the top of the logo in the liner.
But, that's the only part that matches anything in this hats liner.

Josh and/or rlk would be a good place to go for info about this liner. If manfred hasn't seen it.....it is a rarity.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1930s - 1940s Stetson Special, I purchased this from Denton!

This hat feels AMAZING! It is SUPER soft, can take any bash with EASE! I will probally steam it, to make it hold, but dry-bashing is not a problem. The brim even snaps into place.

The liner is in amazing quality, but has yellowed over the years (I don't mind... just adds character!)

The hat is in AMAZING condition, but I will be getting the sweatband re-stitched, due to it comping apart in one area, but not a big deal!

I will try to take daylight photos, as these don't do the hat justice!

00315.jpg

00416.jpg

03113.jpg

01112.jpg

01913.jpg

02011.jpg

02214.jpg

02510.jpg

02711.jpg

00915.jpg

Mystic

Practically Family
1930s - 1940s Stetson Special, I purchased this from Denton!

This hat feels AMAZING! It is SUPER soft, can take any bash with EASE! I will probally steam it, to make it hold, but dry-bashing is not a problem. The brim even snaps into place.

The liner is in amazing quality, but has yellowed over the years (I don't mind... just adds character!)

The hat is in AMAZING condition, but I will be getting the sweatband re-stitched, due to it comping apart in one area, but not a big deal!

I will try to take daylight photos, as these don't do the hat justice!

00915.jpg

Hey, Splinter, Looking Good ! :thumb:

I love your exuberance over this hat....:dance:

That's the face of a VERY Happy camper !!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a good hat for Splinter. The dimensions are great for him, color good, and he carries off well the wide ribbon, which emphasizes its vintage. If the felt is good too, then he bought a "home run" in my book.

+2. Pre-war Stetsons in good condition are always an exciting find... congratulations. Most of the Specials posted have been homburg styles. They were marketed in the later 1930s as a $5 hat but had an earlier life at a higher price point. You might find a store price tag attached behind the sweatband.

Enjoy!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
+3 Congrats splinter although I should pass my along my condolences since your now officially a sick puppy. Vintage fever can be a serious condition!

Denton

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Mystic! Yeah, I am pretty excited! I have just been walking around the house with it on, lol.

This is my first vintage hat, and will not be my last!

I am delighted to see pictures of the hat in your possession. It was not easy for me to let this one go, but I can see that I did the right thing in selling it to you rather than trying to stretch it to fit my head. Enjoy it!

Annixter

Practically Family
I picked up this early 50's Royal Stetson off the Bay from a seller who described it as an "old brown-gray colored hat in need of light cleaning." I knew that was a very nice way of saying a filthy gray fedora, but the price and size were right (it's marked long oval but fits as standard). Also, it has a rear bow which I don't see often on 50's fedoras other than pork-pies.

The hat had bad sweat gunk imbedded in the felt, especially at the bottom and top areas of the ribbon, and the liner was nasty. So always wanting to take apart a fedora but never having a legitimate excuse, I removed the ribbon and liner, washed both, and sponge-cleaned the felt. After that the felt received a light sanding and brushing. I sewed in the liner and ribbon, steamed it, and shaped it. For the most part, the discoloration lifted leaving a nice dark gray, but there are some areas where the sweat bleached out the gray, mainly at the crown/brim break, but really noticeable without really looking for it. The liner is permanently stained, but overall it is a nice Stetson for daily use.

100_3318_zps09641297.jpg

100_3328_zpsbbcd9e4c.jpg

100_3333_zpsd15f7f00.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot