Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Always a fan of the Milan! Grabbed this one on the Bay last week. Beautiful shape. Purchased as a gift for an unsuspecting young fellow, who I hope doesn't happen to peek into this thread before he receives the hat. How'd I do?
IMG_2175.jpg IMG_2170.jpg IMG_2180.jpg IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2168.jpg IMG_2172.jpg

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super low crowned, extremely stingy Stetson Sovereign 20 Mode Edge.
Brim = 1 3/4"
Crown (when popped open) measures ~5" in height.
Very comfortable due to being a generous 7 5/8 LO.
IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

MrSpiffy

New in Town
New hats! Thoughts?

So, recently, I've been interested in getting into the world of haberdashery. I don't have the kind of money to just replace my entire wardrobe, nor do I have a need to dress to the nines each and every day. However, I do want to start upping my game a bit. And what better way to start than with a good hat?

My first "real" hat was sort of a discovery while I was roaming around at Target. I tried it on, and I really liked the look of it. But it's nothing more than a cheap, wool, unlined cap. Think of it as my gateway into hats...

Then, my wife and I dropped into a hat shop in the city. I tried a number of hats on, and came to a few conclusions:
  1. Mid-width and super-stingy-brimmed fedoras do NOT look good on me.
  2. I love caps!
  3. And there are definitely some hats that do look good on me (I think).

I ended up leaving the hat shop with two hats, and my wife bought one. Here's what I came home with:

An inexpensive, stingy-brimmed fedora!

And a leather 8-panel cap! (I really, really love this cap!)

And, more recently, while on a business trip in Dallas, I stopped into the Hatco store (Stetson outlet store) in Garland, TX. I couldn't help but come home with something! I sent photos of several hats to my wife, and she helped me pick out my first summer hat. Not only is it my first straw hat, it's also my first Stetson! I feel so grown up now... lol! (Must be why I look so serious here...)

What do you guys think?? Comments? Other recommended styles/brands?

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I'm not a fan of caps, but if you like it, that's all that matters. The Stetson is sharp.

And since you asked, your next step should be an Akubra. I've got 3 and hoping for another soon.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
The Stetson looks very good on you. The leather cap is also nice, although for some reason I feel like it should be accessorized with goggles.

Cattus is right that Akubras are fine hats and good value for the money, whether they are fedora "city hats" (like the Sydney, Stylemaster, or Federation) or the "country" Australian bush hats (ala Crocodile Dundee). I would try one of the fedoras with a little wider (not stingy) brim.

Stetson makes a large line of straw and felt hats, many in attractive colors. However, they are more tapered and lower-crowned than most Loungers prefer. I would recommend fur felts rather than wool. And Stetson's higher-end hats are priced so that a custom job would be about the same. But many people do like the Stetson Temple. I personally own a Stetson and an Akubra. I like the shape of my Akubra, but the Stetson gets more compliments for some reason.

Your post says you're from Wisconsin. If you are in the Milwaukee area, you might want to take a drive down to Chicago. Several of the best hat stores in the US are in the Chicago area (including Optimo). You could try on a variety of styles and get a feel for what you really like.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I would say that the stetson was the best do to the brim width fits your face better. The stingy cloth fedora is just bad the pattern of the cloth just does not help and the size of the brim does not balance your face making your jaws look big. The cap has no drape to it at all and just sits flat on the head. You would want a forward drape of the fabric to give the cap some balance.
I would stop by The Brass Rooster in Milwaukee by for going all the way to Optimo
As someone getting into wearing a hat you would be scared away by the prices.
Also as you see in my picture I switched to a different style of glasses that went better with hats than the style you are wearing which I use to wear.

Banky

One of the Regulars
There are several of us Milwaukee boys here on the lounge, Welcome. Definitely come see us down at the Brass Rooster. John and Kate are some of the coolest people you'll meet and can help put a great lid on you.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Robert, I was wondering, do you ever wear a hat more than once? Seriously jealous.

Thanks all. Honestly, there are a number of hats that get repeated use and quite a few that are more collection than wearers. Some of the more delicate and ancient ones only come out for special occasions with good weather conditions. If they've survived this long I don't want to be the one to destroy them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy