Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luscombe

New in Town
Steve,
Thanks for the compliment. I have been on a hunt for the right style for me. I really like the look of the Raiders Hat. The proportions work well for me.

I have a couple other hats, a vintage and a few moderns but none come close to this one in fit and comfort. I like the looks of some of the vintage hats like Dobbs and Stratoliner but with my in between size, I have difficulty getting them to fit well.

Based on this experience, I suspect that my next hats will be custom. Lots of good hat makers to choose from on this BB.

phebus

One of the Regulars
Hi,
Just received this hat that I won on Ebay.
It was advertised as a wool hat, but appears to be fur felt to me.
It was also advertised as 1950's but I was assuming by the black sweat band it is no older than 1960's, maybe newer than that?
Does anyone know anything about Gorley hats? I did some googling but came up with nothing.

It was dusty but looks pretty good after some brushing. I could find no moth damage.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I might have said I didn't need anymore hats, but who could resist a $30 Playboy on eBay?
Still a little wet from the rolling pin crease treatment.

smugshot_2848576-L.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Luscombe, looks great on ya!

Phebus, very nice. I think 60s-70s.

David, $30? Wow, what a steal. Great lookin' lid!

New to me from a fellow lounger. 1930s Mallory in blue with a heather finish. This hat is like butter. One of my favorites!

01115.jpg

02611.jpg

More photos can be seen in the Mallory Mile.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. The hat looked pretty crappy in the eBay photos - it even arrived in a shoebox for good measure! Amazing what 10 minutes with a little steam and a brush can do.

Splintz - fantastic looking Mallory!

TPD166

One Too Many
I just received this Stetson Standard Quality today and I am very pleased! This may be the oldest hat I own. It has an approx. 5”+ crown, 2-5/8” ribbon bound brim, unlined, very soft, lightweight felt, and an un-reeded leather sweat. It is in very good condition, except most of the sweatband stitching is loose. Originally purchased at Haygood’s Dry Goods in Floydada, Texas.

TPD166

One Too Many
I got this Resistol 3X “Las Vegas” last week – added a horsehair band and did a little work on the brim – otherwise, it was good-to-go when it arrived.

TPD166

One Too Many
This one is not really “new” – back in January I bought a black Resistol “beater”/project hat (I think it was 5X) because of the very tall crown, but it also had a very wide brim. I took it to David at Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX and asked him to refurbish it, trim the brim to 2-3/4” (from probably 4” to 4.5”), bind the brim, and add a nice matching thin ribbon. I picked it up last week when I was home in Texas for a visit and it is now a “new” hat – cleaned, new sweat and lining, and all the changes I requested. It could not have come out better – another fantastic job by Texas Hatters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR