Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Fourth and last purchase which concludes the acquisitions service for winter-spring 2022.
Arno Barbisio 9b.jpg
This too was bought for the color and also because I really like the Barbisio production.
Arno Barbisio 9.jpg
Barbisio size 60 or 7 1/2 in the USA in one color.
Barbisio Arno Etichetta interna.jpg The felt is soft and light, called as "Arno" the river that passes through Florence with a ribbon of the same color.
Arno Barbisio 7.jpg
From the shape and the lining it looks like a Barbisio of the late production of the house of Sagliano Micca.
Arno Barbisio interno totale.jpg
The measures of the "magic blue" are: the brims are 5 cm. the ribbon with a very nice bow is 4 high and the open crown is 13cm.
Arno Barbisio 5.jpg
This hat has a special appeal to me because it comes in a favorite color of mine.
Arno Barbisio 2.jpg
I hope to find something interesting during the summer months, but sparingly

1960s (guessing mid-1960s) Stetson The Sovereign Twenty with mode edge. The brim is 2” wide and the open crown is approximately 5 5/8 inches. I don’t know if it’s more telling for what inflation did to $20 or how Stetson’s hat making declined, but this hat is nothing at all like the quality of a Twenty made just ten years earlier. It seems to be made better than modern Stetsons, but the felt is very similar to current Royal DeLuxe hats. No label behind the sweatband and the liner is glued in. This hat will not be staying.

CCD9272B-14F7-4D93-8E80-E1EF0155A0B1.jpeg
CAD34E02-26ED-4883-B796-19C7B3553906.jpeg
2E364A6A-2A60-44CB-B01C-86325157FDAD.jpeg
4F5B7E39-6EDB-4F61-B8D1-73FB9CA237A3.jpeg
A6D255EE-16AB-4C09-A02B-95E7A889993E.jpeg
F2A9BFE3-7184-4C62-96D9-3EE3BFC96F30.jpeg
67DA38B9-D541-4E75-99B4-CB9B0916BDEA.jpeg
495131D2-F282-4D66-9332-CE81C5741792.jpeg

It’s really not a bad hat when compared to modern hats, but it’s nothing at all like the vintage hats I like so much. It kind of makes me sad to see and feel the decline of American hat making.

Here’s a black Dobbs Homburg (1970s?) that I found on eBay. It arrived in a box half the size it should have been, but that wasn’t the biggest problem:

E805DF60-4FCE-4908-9843-334DC732D921.jpeg
CDB32BF6-A58E-4051-925D-302C8A2787BC.jpeg
9E88F722-2126-4184-8D3D-F091C4D30F85.jpeg

I’ll get a full refund, including shipping and taxes, but it’s a shame to see even a more recent hat end it’s days like this. Who crams a damp hat into a plastic bag then forces it into a shoe box before shipping across country?

UPDATE:
The seller gave an immediate refund. She said it had a slight smell so she washed it before shipping it. What can you do?

Last edited:
Here’s a black Dobbs Homburg (1970s?) that I found on eBay. It arrived in a box half the size it should have been, but that wasn’t the biggest problem:

View attachment 427106 View attachment 427107 View attachment 427108

I’ll get a full refund, including shipping and taxes, but it’s a shame to see even a more recent hat end it’s days like this. Who crams a damp hat into a plastic bag then forces it into a shoe box before shipping across country?

UPDATE:
The seller gave an immediate refund. She said she it had a slight smell so she washed it before shipping it. What can you do?
Wow. That's just so wrong that I can't even give your post a "like" Brent. Maybe if you washed it again to get rid of the mold, then put it in the dryer...nah, never mind.

Wow. That's just so wrong that I can't even give your post a "like" Brent. Maybe if you washed it again to get rid of the mold, then put it in the dryer...nah, never mind.

Well, the seller was very embarrassed and gave an immediate full refund. When people admit to their mistakes it’s always easy to forgive them and not take it personally. I REALLY don’t need another black homburg so no real harm done. I might see if I can clean it up just to see.

Mid-1930s (?) Knox. Size 7-1/8 . 2" raw-edge brim and 5-3/4" open crown. Frayed ribbon. This one was a bit of a disappointment as the auction only had two exterior photos and one close image of the store name embossing. I asked for more info and photos (asking about a size tag or factory sticker and any other marking on the sweat band or interior felt). A response that just said there were not any other marking is all I got back -- no disclosure about the unreeded sweat band that was hanging by a thread. I got it cheap enough, but sure wish it was in better shape for a future owner. No significant mothing anyway. ;)

IMG-3654.JPG

IMG-3656.JPG

IMG-3657.JPG

IMG-3658.JPG

IMG-3660.JPG

IMG-3661.JPG

IMG-3662.JPG

IMG-3663.JPG

IMG-3664.JPG

IMG-3665.JPG

Last edited:
Okay, so it's not the sort of thing we usually see around here, but it's nicer than I was expecting:

s1fHM0o.jpg

Bailey Hats "Billy" in black. Toyo braid (55% Polyester, 45% paper straw), 4-1/2" crown height, 1-5/8" brim width. This being what most would consider to be a "straw" hat, I expected it to be more rigid than it is but it's actually rather soft and conforms to my head easily. The stingy brim doesn't seem to offer a lot in the way of protection from the sun, but this hat is so comfortable that it just might become my favorite...for a little while, anyway. ;)

Mid-1930s (?) Knox. Size 7-1/8 . 2" raw-edge brim and 5-3/4" open crown. Frayed ribbon. This one was a bit of a disappointment as the auction only had two exterior photos and one close image of the store name embossing. I asked for more info and photos (asking about a size tag or factory sticker and any other marking on the sweat band or interior felt). A response that just said there were not any other marking is all I got back -- no disclosure about the unreeded sweat band that was hanging by a thread. I got it cheap enough, but sure wish it was in better shape for a future owner. No significant mothing anyway. ;)

View attachment 427147

View attachment 427148

View attachment 427149

View attachment 427150

View attachment 427151

View attachment 427152

View attachment 427153

View attachment 427154

View attachment 427155

View attachment 427156
Pretty color combo

The Shoe

One Too Many
1960s (guessing mid-1960s) Stetson The Sovereign Twenty with mode edge. The brim is 2” wide and the open crown is approximately 5 5/8 inches. I don’t know if it’s more telling for what inflation did to $20 or how Stetson’s hat making declined, but this hat is nothing at all like the quality of a Twenty made just ten years earlier. It seems to be made better than modern Stetsons, but the felt is very similar to current Royal DeLuxe hats. No label behind the sweatband and the liner is glued in. This hat will not be staying.

View attachment 427098 View attachment 427099 View attachment 427100 View attachment 427101 View attachment 427102 View attachment 427103 View attachment 427104 View attachment 427105

It’s really not a bad hat when compared to modern hats, but it’s nothing at all like the vintage hats I like so much. It kind of makes me sad to see and feel the decline of American hat making.

Well, the seller was very embarrassed and gave an immediate full refund. When people admit to their mistakes it’s always easy to forgive them and not take it personally. I REALLY don’t need another black homburg so no real harm done. I might see if I can clean it up just to see.

At least the Optimo will put a smile on your face.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Okay, so it's not the sort of thing we usually see around here, but it's nicer than I was expecting:

s1fHM0o.jpg

Bailey Hats "Billy" in black. Toyo braid (55% Polyester, 45% paper straw), 4-1/2" crown height, 1-5/8" brim width. This being what most would consider to be a "straw" hat, I expected it to be more rigid than it is but it's actually rather soft and conforms to my head easily. The stingy brim doesn't seem to offer a lot in the way of protection from the sun, but this hat is so comfortable that it just might become my favorite...for a little while, anyway. ;)
I've got two Bailey Toyo hats. One soft like yours, the other a bit more rigid (but still quite flexible) with a wider brim. I enjoy wearing them both - especially the more rigid one.

I've got two Bailey Toyo hats. One soft like yours, the other a bit more rigid (but still quite flexible) with a wider brim. I enjoy wearing them both - especially the more rigid one.
This, and the hat I just posted in the Hawaiian shirts and fedoras thread, are my first Bailey hats and I'm liking them so far. Hopefully they'll hold up under my clumsiness and unintentional abuse. ;)

The Shoe

One Too Many
This, and the hat I just posted in the Hawaiian shirts and fedoras thread, are my first Bailey hats and I'm liking them so far. Hopefully they'll hold up under my clumsiness and unintentional abuse. ;)
I've got the Hester in sand...

...and the Wilshire in shell(?).

I've had them for three and four years respectively. The Wilshire needs the ribbon to be re-stitched in one place, but the straw on both hats is still going strong. I can't see myself buying another felt Bailey (I used to have a wool pork pie), but would definitely consider another straw one.

Mid-1950s Lee, Blue Label, "Double Brim". Size 7-1/4. 2" brim, 5-1/2" open crown with what Lee calls a Back Shackle bow. Not sure what the "Double Brim" is about. It's doesn't feel like it was folded over (two brims). Maybe thicker? (Edit: Oh ... I found this description in a 1956 Lee ad: "Features light-weight custom center-crease crown and extra-firm raw-edge brim that keeps its distinctive curl intact.") . Some light mothing here and there (of course). The fade would make it go well with your favorite Lee jean jacket.

IMG-3684.JPG

IMG-3689.JPG

IMG-3690.JPG

IMG-3693.JPG

IMG-3692.JPG

IMG-3694.JPG

IMG-3695.JPG

IMG-3697.JPG

IMG-3696.JPG

IMG-3698.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads