Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mighty44

One Too Many
View attachment 453137

J.C. Penney Co - Marathon Hats
Seafoam green/grey unlined felt
Approx 4 inch crown as shaped
Maroon/Navy pug style band
2 1/2 brim with triple stitched overwelt

The travel partner of yesterday’s Marathon.. another Marathon but quite a bit different in styling. Stepping into a bit more of 1940s styling with its wider brim and less substantial crown. A beautiful seafoam green/grey unlined felt and features a very cool duo-tone maroon and navy pug style hat band. And it still has its basting stitches tacking the band in place.. which is very neat. The 2 1/2 brim is finished in what may have been Marathon’s take on Stetson’s wafer edge. A triple stitched dual layer overwelt. It appears as if the welt was sewn and then trimmed as if you look directly at the edge you can see the two layers. If I decide I need to, I may see if I can eek out a bit more height in the crown but for now I will keep as is.

View attachment 453138 View attachment 453139 View attachment 453140 View attachment 453141 View attachment 453142 View attachment 453143 View attachment 453144 View attachment 453145 View attachment 453146
That is an outrageously cool hat!

Mighty44

One Too Many
Cool find, David. Can we see more of the inside and out?
Thanks, Steve. Yes! There is no liner but the inside tag reveals it was made by Palco Hats. The felt is thick and soft rather like a 1950s 3X OR I used to own. Nice details on the overwelt brim and bow. Looks like it has hardly been worn. The brim is slightly stingy at 2 1/4 but just within the acceptable range for me.
David

3506C801-D041-489F-A3A1-17056B25A83E.jpeg
67469986-35B7-4EA1-8162-0A6ACA42769F.jpeg
93D8FB87-6582-4936-80C6-81AD48C6808C.jpeg
3E0A13B1-CD12-4E19-984D-8E93DFB783CB.jpeg
C1EE0360-0580-4B27-8F7C-B4261F51EB16.jpeg

View attachment 453137

J.C. Penney Co - Marathon Hats
Seafoam green/grey unlined felt
Approx 4 inch crown as shaped
Maroon/Navy pug style band
2 1/2 brim with triple stitched overwelt

The travel partner of yesterday’s Marathon.. another Marathon but quite a bit different in styling. Stepping into a bit more of 1940s styling with its wider brim and less substantial crown. A beautiful seafoam green/grey unlined felt and features a very cool duo-tone maroon and navy pug style hat band. And it still has its basting stitches tacking the band in place.. which is very neat. The 2 1/2 brim is finished in what may have been Marathon’s take on Stetson’s wafer edge. A triple stitched dual layer overwelt. It appears as if the welt was sewn and then trimmed as if you look directly at the edge you can see the two layers. If I decide I need to, I may see if I can eek out a bit more height in the crown but for now I will keep as is.

View attachment 453138 View attachment 453139 View attachment 453140 View attachment 453141 View attachment 453142 View attachment 453143 View attachment 453144 View attachment 453145 View attachment 453146
Some very cool Marathon you've picked up, Joe. Looks like the brim edge in this one was folded over, stitched and then cut. Never seen that before.

Some very cool Marathon you've picked up, Joe. Looks like the brim edge in this one was folded over, stitched and then cut. Never seen that before.
Thank you Stefan. I agree.… I think it is the only reasonable way it could have been done. I don’t really love the way it makes a thicker look. But I do think it is really cool and unusual.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
From time to time the Italian hat market reserves unexpected surprises, especially when there are finished hats that have never been put on the market. This has already happened to me with Borsalino and this time it is the turn of two Barbisio built by the Cappellificio Cervo
Barbisio mattone H 6.jpg
Each of the two has a paper label, difficult to photograph, which shows the production data and tells us that the two hats were produced on July 16, 2008
Barbisio mattone H 9.jpg
What denotes these two new purchases is the shape and color.
Barbisio mattone H 3.jpg
They are two small homburgs, very similar to the hunting hat that King George of England found to his taste in Bad Homburg, starting the production of an icon in the world of hat.
Barbisio mattone H 1.jpg
The dimensions are: curled brim at 5 cm, the ribbon that matches the color of the felt is 4 cm high, finished with a light fur, as well as the one that borders the brim. The lowest point of the crown is 10 cm. and the hat can be rounded or sharper, depending on your taste, the felt is super malleable.
Barbisio mattone H 7.jpg
This felt has the color of a "burnt brick", difficult to find in Italian production.
Barbisio mattone H interno.jpg
The lining bears no branding or shop names as well as the sweat band which only has a small branding Barbisio Qualità Extra
Barbisio mattone marchio.jpg
It is a 60 cm. or 7 1/2 US size and it is unworn.
Tomorrow its brother in green for our pleasure

From time to time the Italian hat market reserves unexpected surprises, especially when there are finished hats that have never been put on the market. This has already happened to me with Borsalino and this time it is the turn of two Barbisio built by the Cappellificio Cervo
View attachment 453676
Each of the two has a paper label, difficult to photograph, which shows the production data and tells us that the two hats were produced on July 16, 2008
View attachment 453677
What denotes these two new purchases is the shape and color.
View attachment 453679
They are two small homburgs, very similar to the hunting hat that King George of England found to his taste in Bad Homburg, starting the production of an icon in the world of hat.
View attachment 453681
The dimensions are: curled brim at 5 cm, the ribbon that matches the color of the felt is 4 cm high, finished with a light fur, as well as the one that borders the brim. The lowest point of the crown is 10 cm. and the hat can be rounded or sharper, depending on your taste, the felt is super malleable.
View attachment 453682
This felt has the color of a "burnt brick", difficult to find in Italian production.
View attachment 453683
The lining bears no branding or shop names as well as the sweat band which only has a small branding Barbisio Qualità Extra
View attachment 453685
It is a 60 cm. or 7 1/2 US size and it is unworn.
Tomorrow its brother in green for our pleasure
Ah, I should have known that's where they went! Very interesting hat(s). To be honest from seller's pictures I thought they were much older.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Second of the two Barbisio "homburg" It is a 60 cm. or 7 1/2 US size and it is unworn as its yesterday brother.
Barbisio verde Hom 1.jpg
Also in this a paper label, shows the production data and tells us that the hat was produced on July 16, 2008
Barbisio verde Hom 6.jpg
The dimensions are: curled brim at 5 cm, the ribbon that matches the color of the felt is 4 cm high, finished with a light fur, as well as the one that borders the brim. The lowest point of the crown is 10 cm. and the hat can be rounded or sharper, depending on your taste, the felt is super malleable
Barbisio verde Hom 5.jpg
The Cervo hat factory has made these hats since it inherited (1981-2) the Barbisio brand keeping it alive until a few years ago, modeling hats in the tradition of the hat factory of Sagliano Micca. The felt is a pleasant green with the ribbon and trim almost matching the color felt.
Barbisio verde Hom 2.jpg
This too features an unprinted lining with brand name and shop name, so it was built but never released.
Barbisio verde Hom interno.jpg
Only the logo with a small suit stamp is present on the sweatband
Barbisio verde Hom marchio.jpg
With regret and a bit of nostalgia, I note that the Italian production up to about fifteen years ago was still of excellent quality.

Thoroughbred (Beaver Brand) One Hundred Percent Pure Beaver Fur (I've seen this as a 20X, but I don't find that marked on this hat). A dark gray-green that has faded some where it probably was hanging on a wall in the sun -- you can see a shadow of the ribbon strings.

View attachment 454042

View attachment 454043

View attachment 454044

View attachment 454045

View attachment 454046

View attachment 454047

View attachment 454048

View attachment 454049

View attachment 454050

View attachment 454051

These BB 100% beaver hats punch above their weight and I’m always looking for another. I love the color of this hat…another 7 1/8…shocking! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ