Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shoe

One Too Many
A couple of new Akubras.
The black Leisure Time for Etsuko completes her set of the three colours this hat comes in, and an Acorn Fawn Stylemaster for me.
F15E6B37-3AF1-4776-B134-3EE3F45AF90F.jpeg

The plan was to remove the lining and to use the Stylemaster as a warmish weather hat, but I’m not sure yet, whether I will.
2D4D9497-E634-421A-B1E5-101001A78025.jpeg

I think I will extend the pinch a bit further towards the back of the crown…
36198B84-2088-4108-9272-1E473E4789D9.jpeg

I’m not sure the feather will stay. I’ll give it a chance, as none of my other hats have feathers.
Excuse the PJ shots!

StoryPNW

Practically Family
A couple of new Akubras.
The black Leisure Time for Etsuko completes her set of the three colours this hat comes in, and an Acorn Fawn Stylemaster for me. View attachment 455732
The plan was to remove the lining and to use the Stylemaster as a warmish weather hat, but I’m not sure yet, whether I will.
View attachment 455733
I think I will extend the pinch a bit further towards the back of the crown… View attachment 455734
I’m not sure the feather will stay. I’ll give it a chance, as none of my other hats have feathers.
Excuse the PJ shots!
Looks good, I'm a fan of the Akubra too, I have a Stylemaster in carbon. Do you have a Fed IV? That is the next Akubra I think I'd like to get.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Looks good, I'm a fan of the Akubra too, I have a Stylemaster in carbon. Do you have a Fed IV? That is the next Akubra I think I'd like to get.
I have the Fed IV in brown - my Indy hat. It’s great, but truth be told, I prefer the Campdraft. I prefer the snap brim with the binding.
But I took the excellent advice I received to “buy both and save on shipping because, sooner or later, you’ll end up with both, anyhow!”

A couple of new Akubras.
The black Leisure Time for Etsuko completes her set of the three colours this hat comes in, and an Acorn Fawn Stylemaster for me. View attachment 455732
View attachment 455733
I think I will extend the pinch a bit further towards the back of the crown… View attachment 455734
Excuse the PJ shots!
Two great new hats. That fawn is a sharp looking color on you Gary.

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/npswapa/extContent/wapa/coast_guard/cg1.htm

I am not sure…. I think I may have seen some ads dated late 30s. Maybe a good question for @DaveProc and his superpowers
Joe and @StoryPNW the Gay Cavalier ended @ 1940

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-dobbs-diner.18579/page-106#post-2727970

and was replaced with the Gay Prince in 1941

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-dobbs-diner.18579/page-106#post-2728247

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Occasionally a risky purchase with little hope turns out to be a hidden gem
Huckel Eta 5a.jpg
This is the case with this hat bought without knowing much about the size and conditions. The impulse prevailed.
Huckel Eta 4.jpg The package arrived in a bar, I picked it up and stopped to open it in a small public park and this hat came out with an almost absurd shape as it was sold as female hat
Huckel Eta 2.jpg
Going home I fixed it as best I could and something new came out of it.
Huckel Eta 3.jpg
Huckel ETA - Seal Velor made in Czechoslovakia. Size 6 or 59 cm. 7 3/8 US
Huckel Eta etichetta carta.jpg
The velour is dark brown and very soft to the touch. Sold in Le Havre - France.
Huckel Eta interno.jpg
The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are five centimeters, the open crown is 14 cm. and the ribbon is 4cm high.
Huckel Eta 4a.jpg
The hat is in excellent condition and hardly worn and, above all, it is my size!
Huckel Eta 7a.jpg
To get news on its history, I am waiting for Steve's visit, who will be in Verona shortly and so with him, the greatest expert in Central European hats, I will have all the details :)

That’s interesting. I associate formal attire with more austere plainness and embellished items as less formal. Sort of like a plain black balmoral dress shoe compared to a long wing full brogue wingtip.

I think the name, coupled with the stitching, has me thinking it would be a hat a "Dandy" might wear, along with some more colorful clothing (with FLAIR). I always think of them as needing a great big feather so it looks like something one of the Musketeers would wear.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 455800
This is the case with this hat bought without knowing much about the size and conditions. The impulse prevailed.
View attachment 455801 The package arrived in a bar, I picked it up and stopped to open it in a small public park and this hat came out with an almost absurd shape as it was sold as female hat
View attachment 455802
View attachment 455803
View attachment 455805
View attachment 455804
The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are five centimeters, the open crown is 14 cm. and the ribbon is 4cm high.
View attachment 455806
The hat is in excellent condition and hardly worn and, above all, it is my size!
View attachment 455807
To get news on its history, I am waiting for Steve's visit, who will be in Verona shortly and so with him, the greatest expert in Central European hats, I will have all the details :)
That is a great looking Hückel, Daniele. Sometimes, our gambles pay off. Glad this one did for you.

Looking forward to hearing what Steve has to say about it.

I think the name, coupled with the stitching, has me thinking it would be a hat a "Dandy" might wear, along with some more colorful clothing (with FLAIR). I always think of them as needing a great big feather so it looks like something one of the Musketeers would wear.
He’s got a point about the feather… both of mine came sporting rather conspicuous feathers.

Joe,
Somewhere in the Lounge I posted GP ads chronologically from the first year. I'll see if I can find them and post the link. But I think they were an off-shoot of the 1930s Dobbs Gay Cavalier

Thanks so much Dave. That is helpful

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
There is so little known about the Swann hats, would you think 40s is a good guess on the date for my new hat?
Swann Hats were made by Swann-Abrams. The company was founded in the 1850s and lasted into the second half of the 20th Century. There is quite a bit of information on them, when I have some time I will dig some of it up. It looks 1940s to me, particularly with the lack of a plastic tip liner, but it is only a guess.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
This guy was poorly represented up on the ole' ebay .. I recognized the styling on sweat as well as where hat was sold from. I'm guessing it's an old No1? Felt is really wonderful and is very thin, soft and more dress weight like. First Stetson for me with white combination tag. Nothing identifying hat as a Stetson on sweat so I'm wondering if hat was refurbished at some point hence white tag? What looks like a tear in sweat's actually just a crease. Hat must've lived a bunch of years with stuffing behind sweat which is in nice shape.
IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 455630

Late 1950s Mallory Aristocrat Quality
Extra Light Grey/Tan Felt
Approx 4 1/2 crown as shaped
1 3/4 Black Grosgrain Ribbon
2 3/8 Brim with 3/8 Contrasting Binding

I took on this Mallory Aristocrat as a project. Looking past how dirty, stained and moth nibbles it showed in it photos.. (including one that appeared to go right through the front of the crown) … I saw one of my favorite brand hats… a Mallory (though it was listed as Vallory) in a very cool color combo. I thought it would make a nice project to clean up. The first thing I noticed, what I had assumed to be a hole in the crown was actually some stuck on crud. I was able to scrape most of it off and diminish its appearance. I then gave it probably the heaviest brushing I had to do to date (read: SCRUBBING) and was able to clean it up fairly well without going deeper. What you see here was just brushing… airing out in the sun and reshape by hand.

I was originally estimating based on the size tag and sweat… mid to late 1950s. I did find a sheet of newspaper folded up behind the sweat. Unfortunately they had cut the date off the paper. It was mostly help wasted ads… but I did find an obituary section with Nov 1959 listed. Which would maybe give some credence to the later end of that guess.

It can still use further cleaning to possibly remove some of the discoloration. There are some moth divots here and there… but nothing too drastic. I am actually amazed though I was able to get it in wearable condition with just brushing and sun.

View attachment 455632
View attachment 455631 View attachment 455633 View attachment 455634 View attachment 455635 View attachment 455636 View attachment 455637 View attachment 455638 View attachment 455639
A beauty. Nice catch, Joe!

View attachment 455800
View attachment 455801 The package arrived in a bar, I picked it up and stopped to open it in a small public park and this hat came out with an almost absurd shape as it was sold as female hat
View attachment 455802
View attachment 455803
View attachment 455805
View attachment 455804
View attachment 455806
View attachment 455807
Oooh, that's very satisfying for sure, Daniele. Excellent find.

This guy was poorly represented up on the ole' ebay .. I recognized the styling on sweat as well as where hat was sold from. I'm guessing it's an old No1? Felt is really wonderful and is very thin, soft and more dress weight like. First Stetson for me with white combination tag. Nothing identifying hat as a Stetson on sweat so I'm wondering if hat was refurbished at some point hence white tag? What looks like a tear in sweat's actually just a crease. Hat must've lived a bunch of years with stuffing behind sweat which is in nice shape.
View attachment 455888
View attachment 455884
View attachment 455882
View attachment 455880
View attachment 455881
Fantastic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko