Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Very nice hat. It's a shame sellers aren't all honest about what they are selling, especially regarding hats since they aren't high-dollar items usually. If I had used the same description on my Wormser that the original seller did ("no moth evidence, size 7 1/4"), it would have sold for twice what it did. Same for a porkpie I paid $30 for but when I disclosed issues, sold for $5. On the other hand, one super-great purchase wipes out a whole bunch of mistakes quickly.

Yours is a beauty - great color, and I'm sure it's great quality. Since I'm a documented homburg-abuser, I'll go ahead and admit that if in your shoes I'd finish the job on that hat - I would even remove the edge binding. Talk to Visigoth.

Garrett said:
This arrived from the bay and I realized that it was actually a conversion from Homburg to Fedora. I should've been paying closer attention in the auction photos. Opinions on if this works or not?

IMG_2045.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Agreed on Chinaski's hat - what a nice find. Isn't that more like late '40s?

Gene, I must not be calculating wpi correctly. As far as shaping, it's very tough to test-fit at the moment because of the bend around the crown, but I think it will fit. I need to figure out how to do something with it myself - I think paying $100 or so to get it re-blocked and end up with possibly a still-dirty hat that's too small, isn't worth even attempting.

HarpPlayerGene said:
Fantastic looking Stetson, Chinaski. Green hats are great.

---------

"bulerin'" - That's funny. lol

Scott, you scored a pretty nice Panama there. It's in the 600 weaves per inch range. Hopefully it can be shaped up.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lanson Hubbard Boater

So this lovely vintage boater arrived the other day.

pic15062.jpg

pic15063.jpg

pic15064.jpg

pic15065.jpg

pic15066.jpg

pic15067.jpg

The seller made it out to be a 6 7/8 to 7 in CM size but when I put it on and it slid all over the place I looked under the band to find the original size tag!

IMG_2057.jpg

Was really hoping I could wear this one on occasion

buler

I'll Lock Up
Portis 4X Beaver Blend

This Portis showed up yesterday. Its a Beaver Blend, 4X, hand felted edge. Size 7 1/4 long oval. Just a little loose on me. The felt is really nice. Its a very deep brown, flash washes out the color a little.

B

portis_beaver_1.jpg

portis_beaver_2.jpg

portis_beaver_3.jpg

portis_beaver_4.jpg

portis_beaver_5.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Diamante Twenty Five

Went to a huge outdoor flea market today. Didn't see a lot of hats. Tons of people were wearing straws. I didn't leave empty handed though. Picked up this Borsalino Diamante Twenty Five. This thing is so soft you could blow a crease into it. Might be a little too stingy for my taste.

B

borso_25_1.jpg

borso_25_2.jpg

borso_25_3.jpg

feltfan

Garrett said:
pic15066.jpg

pic15067.jpg

The seller made it out to be a 6 7/8 to 7 in CM size but when I put it on and it slid all over the place I looked under the band to find the original size tag!
Hey Holmes,

It appears your elastic was seething too much!

I wonder if that can be repaired?

Borsalino

This is a new old stock Borsalino made for the German (Qualität) market (guessing mid 60s to early 70s). It has some very pliable / lush dark green felt (soft to the touch) and green sweat. Stingy with taper but I actually find I wear more shorter brims because they fit my life style better.

3675457511_bc499f61a4_b.jpg

3676271248_6aa906d3f8_b.jpg

3676271440_c70d3a6319_b.jpg

3676271728_7203bb3bea.jpg

BobC

I won this hat on the bay a few weeks back. I was quite pleasantly surprised when it arrived. The seller listed it as a gray Borsalinos, but in the pictures it looked brown. When the hat arrived I realized I hat bought a green Borso for a gray Borso price. Since then it's been to Optimo for a clean and reblock.

It looked like this when I got it.
IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Now that its been to Optimo it looks like this.
IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

I emailed the seller to let her know it was green and she thought it was quite hilarious that I thought the gray hat she sold me was green. This is my first green hat....totally by accident!

feltfan

Okay, now I'm mystified.
What is the difference in price between gray and green Borsalinos?
I had no idea there was a color-based scale.

And why did you send that hat to Optimo? Looked great as it arrived.

BobC said:
I won this hat on the bay a few weeks back. I was quite pleasantly surprised when it arrived. The seller listed it as a gray Borsalinos, but in the pictures it looked brown. When the hat arrived I realized I hat bought a green Borso for a gray Borso price. Since then it's been to Optimo for a clean and reblock.

It looked like this when I got it.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
There are a few of us here on TFL who've made a big deal out of green fedoras - sometimes because they really are cool and sometimes just to kid around - so they have become somewhat sought after, and they are not nearly as common as greys. This could theoretically drive up the price, especially in certain sizes if Lounge members got into a bidding dual.

That is a nice hat Bob - before and after. Congrats!

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Greetings. I have introduced myself elsewhere on the FL, but this seems like a thread that people read and I have something to post on it. :)

I recently purchased this Open Road-esque (is it or ain't it?) "Royal Stetson" on eBay. Below is a shot that was taken out impulse and I thought turned out rather well.

June%2029%20003.jpg

A good first felt hat, I think.

EDIT: I bought three around the same time and got them all in the mail today...I like this one the best so I will call it my "first," technical accuracy notwithstanding.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
June%2029%20003.jpg

Chili<
Great "first" hat! Welcome to the lounge.
That is a great shot! You are very fedoraphotogenic.

I am very pleased to see someone "with low miles" who wears fedoras so well.
We need good guys wearing great hats around here.

Warbaby

One Too Many
BobC said:

Beautiful hat and a great shade of green. I don't think I've ever seen a green fedora, but now I know I really need one because I just picked up a green SB peaked lapel pinstripe suit (pix elsewhere after it comes back from the cleaners) and it just cries out for a green fedora. And maybe some green lizard skin shoes...:eek:

BobC

feltfan said:
Okay, now I'm mystified.
What is the difference in price between gray and green Borsalinos?
I had no idea there was a color-based scale.

And why did you send that hat to Optimo? Looked great as it arrived.

I figure this hat would likely have gone for twice what I paid had it been listed as a green Borso.

I sent it to Optimo for a clean and reblock and a new sweat. It was just a tad small for my LO noggin, and about a three inch section of stitching on the sweat had come loose.

Thanks Tom, Garrett, Gene and Warbaby. I thought the situation worked out quite well since I ended up not really knowing what color the hat was going to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo