Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
I love the looks of that one Gene!

Thanks, me too! For a paper hat it's not bad at all. I guess it's the difference between 'then' and 'now' as far as quality goes. Hard to tell but the leather sweatband, the design of the type on it, and the diamond pattern vent holes suggest '40s or '50s to me. But of course, ALL these hats are from the '40s, right!? ;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
skwerl-hat said:
hmm interesting, keep the knowledge flowing im enjoying this.

so are you saying rlk, that the brim width for my style of hat from the time it appears to date from is unusual?

the hat hasnt arrived yet so we'll have to see what it looks like in person.

Actually, I think it very difficult to date the Cavanagh even seeing the liner, but would speculate on brim modification(cut down and bind) as the reason the crown looks large to you. The proportions are off for the conservative Cavanagh that made the same hat styles for a long period. If you like it as it looks now its a great hat for you.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Leone Capelli Milan from Levine

After much hesitation, I bought this back in May to have something a bit dressier for my son's wedding in June. A Milan by Leone Capelli,
from Levine Hat Company in St. Louis. I'm very, very happy with it. I think it worked very well for the wedding (candid photo below),
and I'm amazed that it leaves my head feeling cooler than any of my other hats, including a Montecristi (makes sense I guess),
and a coarser, more loosely woven Cuenca.

MilanViews2.jpg

Milan.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Actually, I think it very difficult to date the Cavanagh even seeing the liner, but would speculate on brim modification(cut down and bind) as the reason the crown looks large to you. The proportions are off for the conservative Cavanagh that made the same hat styles for a long period. If you like it as it looks now its a great hat for you.

Keep in mind that, while very conservative, Cavanagh didn't make just a single style. In 1954, there were nine different brim widths and just as many different crown styles available in their snapbrim hats.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Keep in mind that, while very conservative, Cavanagh didn't make just a single style. In 1954, there were nine different brim widths and just as many different crown styles available in their snapbrim hats.

Brad
Do any of those appear to have a brim this narrow with a crown of this size at that time? I've seen(or ads) narrower brims(common early 60's) but the crowns seem to be in proportion(discounting earlier 30's hats).

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mach Lachlan

Excellent shape grey Mach Lachlan. Has the thickest felt I've come across so far. 2 1/4" brim with raw edge. 2" ribbon. Dark butterscotch sweatband with light embossed makers name and embossed top edge, non-reeded. Reddish-brown paper size tag. Did I mention how THICK the felt was?

B

mach_1.jpg

mach_2.jpg

mach_3.jpg

mach_4.jpg

mach_5.jpg

mach_6.jpg

mach_7.jpg

mach_8.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
After Gene fixed the brim on my only panama, I decided to take a chance on what I have always wanted but thought unwearable on my head. An optimo crown panama. I contacted Bob who responded quickly, he did not have anything in my size but still managed to make or locate one. It is just an inexpensive one but I really like it! I have done nothing to the brim because it has a snap brim feel to it.

I don't know if he had a little stiffener put in or what but this is the way to go for us extra long ovals. :D

I like this one enough that I am thinking of getting another just like it but with a different color ribbon!:D

Panama Bob's pics.

op5.jpg

op3.jpg

op4.jpg

And on the noggin.

GEDC0801-1.jpg

GEDC0802-1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
billyspew said:
Looks good on you Dman.
Thanks!
carouselvic said:
Nice one Dinerman. Is that a real reed sweat?
It certainly is.
buler said:
Great looking hat Dinerman. How soft is the felt on that one?
It's fairly stiff. Very dense, with a beautifully smooth finish. Amazing that it seems that the "select quality" was Stetson's less expensive offering at the time. A '40s or '50s stetson of anything but their pure beaver couldn't touch this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR