Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billysmom

One Too Many
Borsalino Alessandria

Found at a local antique mall this afternoon:

Alesandria.jpg

DSCF1582.jpg

DSCF1583.jpg

It had a distinctly Fort Worth attitude hanging in the back of the booth. That will change as soon as the steamer warms up!

More to be posted at the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

Sue

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
billysmom said:
Found at a local antique mall this afternoon:

Alesandria.jpg

It had a distinctly Fort Worth attitude hanging in the back of the booth. That will change as soon as the steamer warms up!

More to be posted at the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

Sue​

Oh Sue, what a lucky lady you are! Congratulations!:eusa_clap​

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Portis Supreme Breeze

Interesting Portis - 1940's, 2.5" bound-edge brim, taupe-lavender with taupe-green ribbon. Appears to want a telescope-like bash, brim snapped with slight curl. Don't know if this is right, but it's what it settled into:

The liner is soaking in Woolite.

PortisSide.jpg

PortisFront.jpg

PortisSweat.jpg

PortisLiner.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Interesting Portis - 1940's, 2.5" bound-edge brim, taupe-lavender with taupe-green ribbon. Appears to want a telescope-like bash, brim snapped with slight curl. Don't know if this is right, but it's what it settled into:

The liner is soaking in Woolite.

PortisSide.jpg

Wonderful hat, Scott!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
Wonderful hat, Scott!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Thanks Sue. I only received it today, so still messing around with it. At first it looked like a terribly-bashed Stratoliner, but when it fought my fedora crease and wanted the telescope, I compared it to my Disney Telescope and found the same taper. After more piddling, it's almost like a very soft-brimmed Homburg - snaps down naturally all the way around, but only if you flip up the edge of the brim slightly. With the front pushed down a little, it looks very interesting.

ScottF said:
Thanks Sue. I only received it today, so still messing around with it. At first it looked like a terribly-bashed Stratoliner, but when it fought my fedora crease and wanted the telescope, I compared it to my Disney Telescope and found the same taper. After more piddling, it's almost like a very soft-brimmed Homburg - snaps down naturally all the way around, but only if you flip up the edge of the brim slightly. With the front pushed down a little, it looks very interesting.

Cool hat! Really like the color and the twisted ribbon with loop treatment. :eusa_clap

leprechaun

New in Town
My mother surprised me with a treasure of my late father's. She gave me his Christies' of London Bowler. Came with original box and even the stock label that was attached to the lid of the box in the store. It was purchased at Brodt's (423 Eleventh St. NW) in Washington D.C. in 1955 (very soon after he arrived in the U.S. from Scotland).

S5006526.jpg

S5006525.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality, as the camera is a POS and my skills are weak.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
leprechaun said:
My mother surprised me with a treasure of my late father's.
S5006526.jpg

You may think of your picture-taking skills as weak, but with this lid, your hat-fu is strong.

leprechaun said:
My mother surprised me with a treasure of my late father's. She gave me his Christies' of London Bowler. Came with original box and even the stock label that was attached to the lid of the box in the store. It was purchased at Brodt's (423 Eleventh St. NW) in Washington D.C. in 1955 (very soon after he arrived in the U.S. from Scotland).

Great story! My good friend's great uncle apprenticed at Brodt's back in the first part of the 20th Century and owned Vienna Hats also on 11th St (this was the hat makers / shops area in DC).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Cool hat! Really like the color and the twisted ribbon with loop treatment. :eusa_clap

I've continued to work on it, giving it brushings until my arm is worn out - it's a beautiful lavender under the ribbon, and it's beginning to show up better. The loop thing is mother of pearl.

I've run into a sweatband problem - 3rd time I've had this problem: the leather sweat is soft and seems okay, but when I applied Lexol to the top of the sweatband, it dries at the top and the sweatband separates into two layers - it appears that each side of the sweatband responded differently to absorbing the Lexol. I'm considering working some glue between the layers with a toothpick. The last two times this happened, the sweatband had to be thrown away, but fortunately I had only applied Lexol to the treated side and to the very top of the un-treated side, so the bottom is fine.

Just something to think about.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow! Leave for a weekend and come back to pages of great new hats from every corner! I caught mine on e-Bay Thursday night; a mint (I hope) Portis. Pics when it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot