Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preferred selling platform

The Don

New in Town
Hey folks,

I see listings from Ebay, Grailed, Poshmark, and possibly others, but;

What is your favorite platform to sell from?

Also, any thoughts on which platform has the best protection balance between buyer and seller would be awesome.

I feel like this should be in a FAQ or something.

Thanks!

The Don

New in Town
I’m not terribly happy about Ebay’s policy of closing inactive accounts. I never sold anything and am not the typical US Consumer, so mine got closed and apparently within days someone from Barbados reregistered the username. I opened the account in circa 2005.

sigh

Claybertrand

One Too Many
The Fedora Lounge is the best "platform" (altho its really just a marketplace like Facebook) IF you can find a buyer here. If not, eBay is the best. They have the best customer service and response time when you have an issue. The others seem to charge the same fees but do not have nearly the same infrastructure in place like eBay does. Nor do they reach the same broad base of prospective buyers. The other platforms are flimsy in comparison. I should also mention, I am not a fan of eBay but its a necessary evil.

Albe64

One of the Regulars
Vinted is a great platform for Europe...friendly, cheap and efficient. Otherwise I prefer Fedora

Chucklando

Familiar Face
eBay has great buyer and seller protection, but the taxes and fees kill me. I much prefer a community you can trust and buy/sell directly, I’ve had success with that on other forums.

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
Ebay has most eyeballs and protects the seller from fraud the best. I would only do a trans here with those that have references and ppff. It seems scammers can easily chargeback regular paypal funds by filing a bogus claim. Then they keep the item and their refund.

The Don

New in Town
It seems scammers can easily chargeback regular paypal funds by filing a bogus claim. Then they keep the item and their refund.
Yep. That’s the kind of thing I’d like to avoid.
I’m all for reasonable protections for both parties. But, I came across a few reports of that exact thing happening because PP leans more toward the buyer.

Could that be why Ebay no longer deals with PP?

MattieXMoto

One of the Regulars
Yep. That’s the kind of thing I’d like to avoid.
I’m all for reasonable protections for both parties. But, I came across a few reports of that exact thing happening because PP leans more toward the buyer.

Could that be why Ebay no longer deals with PP?
And keeping fees for themselves.

Just make sure pp gift for here but require references. Or ebay.

trapp

Practically Family
I've sold many jackets here on the lounge, on eBay, and on Grailed. They all work and in 15 years I have never had a single transactional issue (knock on wood) with buying or selling jackets on any of these marketplaces / platforms. I prefer the lounge for jackets because I can sell at a lower price while still enjoying the same return from the sale. It's also fun on the Lounge to see when a jacket works out, or even if it doesn't, and I can watch it's life cycle as it slowly moves through the hands of various members looking for the perfect fit :)

Dansoldschool

One of the Regulars
Post here and on eBay but as it was mentioned in beginning, it sells on ebay.
Would love to sell here more.
With a German account there are quite some fees to sell to foreign account, even more if it’s a different currency than Euro.
But here I would not sell to unknown/new person with PP G&S because of these chargebacks. So trust and PP F&F it’s here.

thatdrewman

New in Town
I am curious if people trade here, do the seller ship first or the buyer pays first?

Currently dealing with a trade on FB market place

dminnick95

New in Town
I am curious if people trade here, do the seller ship first or the buyer pays first?

Currently dealing with a trade on FB market place
Haven't sold on here, but have sold and purchased through ebay and reddit. Buyer always pays first as far as I know. If you don't trust the situation and aren't willing to take the risk, don't do it.

thatdrewman

New in Town
Haven't sold on here, but have sold and purchased through ebay and reddit. Buyer always pays first as far as I know. If you don't trust the situation and aren't willing to take the risk, don't do it.
Thanks brother! If you deal on Reddit, there’s no buyer/seller protection though right?

dminnick95

New in Town
Thanks brother! If you deal on Reddit, there’s no buyer/seller protection though right?
That is true. On reddit I've used paypal, both F&F and G&S. I've even traded items, both of us shipping the item to each other. I've only done a handful of deals like that on reddit, but have been buying/selling on ebay for at least 2-3 years. Recently, I've been hearing about how sellers are really never very well protected.. Even if you do everything by the book, a buyer can do a chargeback on their payment and screw you. That is fairly scary, but I think it is more rare in communities like this and with the items I sell. People that are deep into hobbies similar to what this community caters to generally don't seem like the type to scam.

Again, I would always caution you to listen to your gut. From either standpoint, whether you are selling or buying, if you don't like the vibe you are getting from the person then don't do it. You said you are on FB marketplace which should allow you to check out their profile right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk