Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Presidential Advisors, Step Up!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With the developments and comments on the recent thread Dress Like You Want to Be President, I think it would be interesting to brainstorm a little on our own. The members of this board pride themselves on good taste, good style and good manners, so I believe we ought to start a wave of commentary regarding politicians' styles and fashions.

Be creative with this thread; let's pretend WE'RE the advisors hired to aid the poor politicians in their quest for the Office.

What should these politicians wear? Should it be standard for everyone? What strengths/weaknesses would each candidate play? Could some of these guys pull off something unique and still have a hope to win? Can you recommend everything from suit to cufflinks and from hat to shoes?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a DB suit when he is trying to get across a message of power and importance would probably the most important advice I could give to 'my' candidate. To me the peaked lapels and DB style convey a sense of "I mean business".
Now, if the candidate is going to be discussing something that is not overly serious he should wear something a bit less 'formal' or powerful, like a gray SB suit.

Nothing overly flashy but he shouldn't constantly wear dark blue with a power tie.
Just my .02.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
We've gone increasingly toward the 'government drone' look so much in recent times that a candidate that refused to wear the 'boring dark ill-fitting suit with solid color or inoffensive pattern tie' uniform and stuck to light earth tones with good tailoring would make the rest of the candidates look like stooges. Tans, grays, browns, maybe even the occasional green(avoiding pastels) would work beautifully to make the opposition appear regimented and dull. No pinstripes - to easy for the press to tear apart as 'gangster'. Large, subtle checks (small checks or patters stand too much chance of causing moire patterns on TV screens). Nothing high contrast, which would distract the viewer. Instead, well-coordinated ensembles that carry an overall palette, in varying shades without going too light or dark.

Cufflinks would have to be subtle, either blending into the shirt or slightly contrasting. Nothing says 'rich and disconnected from the common man' like the glint of a bit of jewelry from the end of your arm; chrome, silver, gold, large jewels are a no-no. No huge watches(chronographs, divers, etc), either. Square-faced watches blend better with the wrist and the straight edge of the jacket and shirt's cuff. A small tank watch would work fine as long as it's not too flashy. Class or fraternal rings would be a gray area, if the candidate insisted, they'd stay. Wedding bands only, for the most part.

The Kennedy formula is now something that should be steered away from, as EVERYONE is using it. You want to stand out from the crowd, be memorable without being obnoxious. If a candidate refused to wear the usual dark suit and power tie uniform in a debate, and stuck to their guns about it, it would be big news for days. As long as it was tasteful and not overbearing, the press would have a hard time pinning a fault on the candidate other than their refusal to march in lockstep with the usual boring formula, and the increased attention would be a boon.

Caledonia

Practically Family
You could have every candidate look at the last 20years of British political fashion (male and female)?

And don't do that!

Marc Chevalier said:
The question is, how will candidate Fred Thompson convince his hot blonde wife to wear frumpy "First Lady" duds?
He won't, nor should he--I'd think the Thompsons are the type who'd work best in "business casual", trying to connect with the average person. Yes, they're both lobbyists and Fred's a "name" actor and lawyer, but his folksy, plain-speaking style and too much "pomp and circumstance" clash. Don't know much about her background, but I'd think they should dress to "play to their strengths"--like a sartorial version of the "pickup-truck campaigning" that got him into the Senate.

That "play to your strengths" angle is what I'd tell any candidate--for a former general playing on foreign-policy strength, I'd recommend colors and cut reminiscent of the uniform without actually being current-issue.

Just more idle musings of a confirmed headcase.

Sonoma Jack

New in Town
As an advisor, all I care about is which early primary my candidate has to win or do well in. If it's a New England state then my candidate had better dress simply and conservatively (though Hillary chomping a ball gag seems somehow fitting). If I saw my candidate sporting a $10,000 Kiton, I'd kill him. And watches--it had better be a Timex chronometer.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The Fred Thompson dilemma:

Some conservative voters may disapprove of the fact that he has a sexy 2nd wife who's considerably younger than he is ... and that the pair have a very young child.

Meanwhile, some (male) voters may very much approve of the fact that this old guy landed himself a sexy, much younger wife ... and even made a kid with her lol

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I would tell my candidate to avoid a few things (beside the current standard, drone look):

1. No sport coat/trouser combos. If it doesn't look totally disorganized, it looks a little too casual. I realize that may seem obvious to must of us, but it shouldn't go without saying.

2. Avoid gray suits (currently). I think a gray suit would represent the conservative businessman, a corporate man, and in this current political arena that may just be a stigma. When most current Presidential winners are filthy rich, white men, portryaing yourself as another filthy rich white man may not work so well. Besides, it's boring!

3. Avoid Peak Lapels on a SB suit. I love peak lapels but as others have said, and I agree, it's a bit flashy and a bit too rich for most guys' blood.

I don't think "the common man" necessarily wants a slob in office and I believe most people, even blue collar, hard working, common men know when a suit doesn't fit. I imgaine most "common men" would actually jump at the chance to vote for a sharp dressed guy. (Hey, it's not like half of the people vote with their brains anyway.)

I think a SB, notch lapel light navy, brown or maybe hunter green would work. I would avoid a waistcoat but I see nothing wrong with suspenders. And seeing as so many of the candidates like to take off their jackets and roll up their sleeves, anymore, it would be a nice change to see some straps around the shoulders. I suppose a shirt with stripes would be in the same arena as a suit with stripes, but at least get another color. Pastel shirts would be my guess (think light pinks, greens and yellows). If you looked terrible or couldn't coordinate it, white shirts are fine by me. Get a nice patterened tie (I think a loud pattern could work, just as long as it was tasteful). Heck, they might even try a tie clip, looks relatively casual and laid back, but still kinda dressy. Skip the french cuffs and go with a regular button. Wear a watch with a leather strap, and I think a square face is a good suggestion; it's simple. And depending on the suit, I see nothing wrong with a pair of cordovan cap-toes or wingtips. If you have to settle for black, skip the wingtips and maybe do captoes. No plain shoes, too boring.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Nice thread. You guys have many good suggestions. However, I would like to disagree with just a few of them.

No grey suits.

Aw, come on now. It’s not all that bad is it? I admit that grey can be boring, but it doesn’t always have to be. Grey is a very appropriate color because of its admitted business classifications and overtones. A grey suit screams, “Business”, I agree, but that is precisely why it is so valuable and necessary to wear on some occasions. I feel that wearing a grey suit just requires a little pizzazz and some flair so that it isn’t “boring”. I would certainly wear a grey suit and would also recommend them for all presidential candidates given the setting of the event that one is attending and the discussions taking place there.

a candidate that refused to wear the 'boring dark ill-fitting suit with solid color or inoffensive pattern tie' uniform and stuck to light earth tones with good tailoring would make the rest of the candidates look like stooges.

I agree Wingnut. It is too bad that other people don’t see it that way. I don’t know why some things seem so completely obvious to us and yet completely escapes the attention of the rest of the known world.

I would avoid a waistcoat but I see nothing wrong with suspenders. And seeing as so many of the candidates like to take off their jackets and roll up their sleeves, anymore, it would be a nice change to see some straps around the shoulders. I suppose a shirt with stripes would be in the same arena as a suit with stripes, but at least get another color.

I agree about the shirts Undertow. I think that the shirts are one of the most neglected items of wear for politicians. However, suspenders are a touchy thing to me. If you are fit, then suspenders look good, yet if you are out of shape and portly then I think suspenders only highlight the fact that you are out of shape. It’s like a muscle tee shirt to me. Either you can, and should, wear one, or, you should wear something else completely. I feel the same way about overalls. It takes a good body to wear some things in my view without negative connotations because of all the ungainly chaps who also choose to wear such items of clothing on a regular basis.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Tricky. She doesn't look like the Jackie K. type. Instead, think "tanning salon owner." :)

Don't get me wrong. I'd be perfectly fine with such a First Lady.

You look like you may have spent a little time at her salon...:D :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
The Fred Thompson dilemma:

Some conservative voters may disapprove of the fact that he has a sexy 2nd wife who's considerably younger than he is ... and that the pair have a very young child.

Meanwhile, some (male) voters may very much approve of the fact that this old guy landed himself a sexy, much younger wife ... and even made a kid with her lol

Had he dumped the first wife for the second, he'd have a major problem, but he didn't. But, as a few people have alluded to, what voters might find acceptable or admirable in anyone else, they might not expect from a president.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot