Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Barber Shop

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
Seraph, you are lucky your Walgreens still carries it. The local Walgreens here has stopped carrying it. I go to a barber who is young but does the old school way of cutting and will use this product on me. It really does a trick on a sideparted contour and leaves a really nice shine that leaves me looking like I just stepped out of 1956. I never got asked as a kid, my barber would always always ask "Okay Dad comb it Wet or Dry"- my dad always replied "wet of course". My barber charges $25, that includes the hot towel and lather/straight razor around the ears and neck.
The Walgreens that I spoke of has since moved to a new location down the street and no longer carries Wildroot. I have since found the 15 oz. bottle for sale at Bowmanbeauty.com for $5.95, not a bad price.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Thanks that is a pretty good price. I was just trying to avoid paying shipping. I don't know what it is about the stuff. I have other hair products but I always love coming back to this. Not only does it keep the hair slick and shiny all day, but it leaves itsofter and healthier as well.
The Walgreens that I spoke of has since moved to a new location down the street and no longer carries Wildroot. I have since found the 15 oz. bottle for sale at Bowmanbeauty.com for $5.95, not a bad price.

leo

One of the Regulars
...Now my regular barber is a Jordanian immigrant who owns a shop in Falls Church. It's a much smaller-scale operation, with four chairs. The other barbers are also middle-eastern, probably family. When they answer the phone there, the say, "Barbershop"...

Wow, small world! I wandered out of the Hats forum for a change and found this. I have used the FC shop, actually named Barbershop, for about three years now. In fact i get free haircuts there...you buy five and get one free ;-) He's fast and does a good job. The rest of the crew is decent also.

I've visited Jordan a number of times and I recently told him that I missed Kenefeh (a Jordanian desert pastry) and could not find it anywhere in the area. He slipped me a name and number that turned out to be a tiny middle-eastern pastry shop that will make it for you if you ask!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I live in a small town called Woodbury. Although I don't go to him, there is a barber in my town. The same building he is in, there is a drugstore called Canfield Corner with an abandoned soda fountain. They seem to use it as storage. I wonder why they don't restore it. Sorry for going off-topic.

filfoster

One Too Many
Cincinnati testimonial here. I found a guy, Frank Whitson, near the Courthouse on Main who has a 'regular' barbershop and can give good shave (0nly did that once as a bucket list thing).
The barbershops of my youth have all gone-places where old men spent hours smoking and b-s'ing, reading old Field and Stream and Argosy magazines with cheesy ads in the back.
In my little town, Williamsburg, there were two. Studie's and Happy's.
Studie gave me my first haircut, sitting on that board accross the chair arms. I got a stick of Beemans' gum after. Happy wasn't really, I guess, because he shot himself after he retired.
Happy's shop sold hunting and fishing licenses.
I wear a flat top or a severe fade most of the year (the avatar is my winter self)and can go three or sometimes four weeks between cuts.

The Wildroot and Lilac Vegetal and the pink jars of pomade for the 'butch' are great memories.

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
The barbershops of my youth have all gone-

A couple years ago I found out that that my grandfather's barber, who'd cut my own hair as a child (since about age 5) was amazingly still in business some 40 years later. The place held such fond memories for me, going there almost weekly with my granddad, that on my 45th birthday, as a present to myself I drove over an hour to get a haircut and shave from him. I was a bit disappointed that at some point he'd relocated to a newer building about two doors down from his old shop, but other than that everything else was the same. Best of all, he and I spent my entire visit reminiscing about my grandfather, whom he remembered well.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I have a wonderful old style barber shop that I have been going to for years. I try to get the same barber, but some days that is just not possible. However, no matter what barber I get I can tell them tapered sides and back #2 clipper, just enough to comb over on the top and I receive a very good haircut. A couple of the barbers will still shave my neck with a shavette, a couple will use the clipper on my neck, and one (a Korean woman) will give a scalp and shoulder massage with the cut. I wish they would use Clubman as their aftershave, however the Osage Rub that they use is most refreshing.

hatguy1

One Too Many
915810a3b901cdba311903cd0576e437.jpg

Passed thru Joplin, MO recently and stopped in for "the works" (shampoo, straight razor shave, hot towels and haircut) at the V's location there. Matt gave me a great cut and an awesome shave.

Man, my head ain't ever had it so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92b67087b78463a4f3835f67308daf16.jpg

Seemed like a good place to post this. This is the chair in what's left of my granddad's old barbershop. It sat off to the back of his house on his farm. He's been dead for nearly 30 years, but my uncle lives in his old house and has kept the old shop pretty much intact. All his old tools of the trade are still laying on the shelf just where he left them.
fbb90a5f72efffbf4c31760c7aec3984.jpg

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I'm luck enough to live an town that has old school Italian barbershop. However, they are restricted somewhat to the tools they can use due to laws here in Ontario but it's still a great experience nonetheless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy