Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Suit Care (Vintage and Modern)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Excellent advice from all...just a quick follow up to a previous post. DO avoid the adhesive type lint rollers and using tape in a pinch. My understanding is that with every use they transfer the adhesive from the roller to your clothes. Not only does this break down the fabric, it also defeats the purpose. Over time, more lint will stick to your clothes because they have picked up the adhesive.

Andykev said:
Men's shirts, DO NOT PUT IN CLOTHES DRYER. What wears out clothing? Heat and friction (when you wear), and you guess what the dryer does........yup!
I gently machine wash with MILD and LESS soap. Treat collar with soil remover as that is my worst part of the shirt to have looking nice. Then I remove from machine propmtly, and hang on a plastic hangar to drip dry. Then a very cool ironing to remove wrinkles. I don't have a steamer yet..but that is far better than the iron.

Gee, I wouldn't know about all that. The wife does all that stuff. What's an iron? What's a dryer? :p

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
AVOID THE HEAT

jamespowers said:
Gee, I wouldn't know about all that. The wife does all that stuff. What's an iron? What's a dryer? :p

Regards to all,

J

The point is "what's and iron...what's a dryer"? They apply heat and friction!
That is why I DO NOT put my dress shirts in the dryer, and ONLY cool iron the wrinkles as absolutely necessary.

Your wife must be doing it right, because you always look sharp when we meet for lunch :cool:

Yeah she does a good job so I do not concern myself with it. ;)
You have a point about buying the best shirts because they do last longer. Cheap shirts fall apart at the seams and the buttons fall off one at a time over a period of months. I like the Broadcloth and the Pima myself but some may find them a bit too thick for wearing in warm weather. The Pima isn't so bad though.

Regards to all,

J

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hey, don't feel bad. I wasn't on the Lounge in 2005, and I just red all the posts here. VERY informative. Can't help on the clothes brush question, tho.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I wondered the same thing myself...I've been using a hat brush, and I considered using a shoe brush. Both are horsehair. My suspicion is that a badger (bristle) brush would be better.

Jovan

Suspended
Matt Deckard said:
Same advice. Hang it up.

Buy a heavy weight material. The higher the number such as super 100 or super 150, the faster the suit will wrinkle up and wear out. It's is just another way to say the material is super thin and not durable. Buy a suit that you know can take a tumble... it may be hotter to wear, though that's why jackets can be removed.

Dry cleaning is harmful, dulls the colors and shorten's the lifetime, problem is that if your suit just needs a presisng it's hard to find someone who will simply sponge and press a suit nowadays. Wet cleaning is a new service that is coming into it's own in California and works better than dry cleaning... no harmful chemicals and the clothes get cleaner. If you have a place near you that offers wet cleaning, do that instead.

If you do bag your suit for storage, find a bag with ventilation so air flows.
Good advice.

Also, with regards to the quality of a suit, one with floating canvas instead of fusing will last much longer too.

Sylvester D

Familiar Face
Hey
Any advice on cleaning dress shirts?

As a lawyer, I wear a suit and a dress shirt everyday during week. I usually wash them first and then bring them to cleaners because i found out that the cleaners did a poor job of cleaning the whites.

Does the advice against drying cleaning suits too often appy to shirts??

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Sylvester D said:
Hey
Any advice on cleaning dress shirts?

As a lawyer, I wear a suit and a dress shirt everyday during week. I usually wash them first and then bring them to cleaners because i found out that the cleaners did a poor job of cleaning the whites.

Does the advice against drying cleaning suits too often appy to shirts??

Even when you send your shirts out to the cleaners, they're laundered--not dry cleaned. The process isn't nearly as hard on shirts as dry cleaning is on suits. However, what is hard on them is starch and the machine pressing that most cleaners subject shirts to. You're better off laundering them at home at doing your own ironing, if you have the time. And you must wash them regularly--you don't want dirt to accumulate in the shirt, especially in the collars and cuffs.

Wash in cool or warm water, then air dry until just damp. Do not put them in the dryer, as it is harmful to shirt fabric and promotes shrinking. Iron the shirts with a hot iron and plenty of steam, then hang them up to finish drying.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mr New Age

jamespowers said:

Regards to all,

J

James,You must have an ama! Congratulations!

In which colony are you presently residing?:D

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Suit brushes

Saw the post on Kent Brushes. However what about a travel brush? something thin and flat?

And does the same rule for shoes brushs allpy to suits? black for black / grey / blue. And a brown for browns?

Thanks

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
JerseyJones said:
I wear my suits every day for work, so I tend to murder them a bit faster than most. The steam and brush help a lot though, as does a tape roller for lint et. al. Febreeze has also been a good friend to freshen them up in a pinch, though I am not so inclined to use it on my lighter cololored suits.

K

Actually the tape roller is a bad thing. The glue comes off and damages the fabric. Obviously it takes a lot of cleanings for this to happen, but why not just avoid the problem by using a good, soft clothes brush?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cleaning Shirts

Orgetorix said:
Even when you send your shirts out to the cleaners, they're laundered--not dry cleaned. The process isn't nearly as hard on shirts as dry cleaning is on suits. However, what is hard on them is starch and the machine pressing that most cleaners subject shirts to. You're better off laundering them at home at doing your own ironing, if you have the time. And you must wash them regularly--you don't want dirt to accumulate in the shirt, especially in the collars and cuffs.

Wash in cool or warm water, then air dry until just damp. Do not put them in the dryer, as it is harmful to shirt fabric and promotes shrinking. Iron the shirts with a hot iron and plenty of steam, then hang them up to finish drying.

My dry cleaners (not for me - other rich bar stewards) suggest dry clean to remove skin oil etc and then wash them.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although I only dry clean when absolutely necessary, or in the case of a new purchase from a thrift store prior to tailoring, I do occasionally utilize my dry cleaner for pressing only.

I can't currently afford a steamer. Is it "bad" for the suit to have a simple pressing?

Marcus

A-List Customer
How about for 100% wool? I have been working on putting together a WW2 USMC impression and finally got a hold of the service alpha uniform. It's in great shape however it has that "old" smell to it. Would the steaming technique take care of that or should I dry clean it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred