Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Displays of Affection

NicknNora

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
I don't mind at all when I see public display of affection (with limits of course). On the contrary, it makes me happy to see people loving and caring about each other. :D

On the other hand, it bothers me no end and makes me kind of sad when couples fight, scream and hate each other in public ... :(.

That's how I feel about the whole thing! :)

It bothers me too when I see people mistreat each other in public. I'd much rather see PDA. Hey, maybe if there was more PDA there would be less fighting in public. :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
You know I have never seen the nurse as an active participant, or it being mutual just kinda caught up in it. Her body language doesn't speak to me that way, just that she was more startled then anything.

The lady who lays greatest claim to being the nurse says the sailor just came up and grabbed her - and since it was VJ Day, she let him do it.

I think I would have, as well.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think seeing people who are in Love expressing themselves in a tasteful manner is the stuff of life.
inlove.gif

Imagine having that wonderful gift bestowed upon you and another, how beautiful. Now imagine that you cannot express that love in a most gentle kiss.
I would rather die than be constrained by the repressed whims of another or society as a whole. :)

"Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives." C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963),;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
Imagine having that wonderful gift bestowed upon you and another, how beautiful. Now imagine that you cannot express that love in a most gentle kiss.
I would rather die than be constrained by the repressed whims of another or society as a whole. :)

That's very beautiful :) Affection is indeed a wonderful thing.

Public lust, however...

NicknNora

A-List Customer
After reading this thread it appears to me that the definition of inappropriate "public lust" is really in the eye of the beholder. Some people feel that even a passionate kiss is too much while others like me have no problem with it. Some people might draw the line at heavy groping while others don't mind the groping if it doesn't last for a sustained period of time. I guess I'm much more inclined to live and let live then to get bent out of shape because people I don't know aren't adhering to my personal views on what is "acceptable" conduct in public. As a rule unless they are breaking the law then I just get on with my own business and ignore them. If I'm in the position where I can't ignore them (hasn't happened yet) and they are really overdoing it to the point of discomfort then I'd do what others have suggested. I'd say, in a light tone, you guys really need to get a room. If they ignored the polite suggestion then I'd just chalk it up to the fact that they don't give a hang what strangers think of them. lol

cupcake

Familiar Face
As I was walking my boyfriend to work the other morning (while holding hands) an old couple were walking the opposite direction doing the same. We both smiled at eachother and I had the fuzziest feeling. It's nice to knwo that even as we age we can still show love and affection toward eachother.

On the other end of the scale, a few months ago after a show a group of friends and myself went and grabbed dinner at a late night restaurant (i t was about 1am). There was a couple in one corner practically having sex! The girl was straddled on his lap while he was groping away and sliding his hands up her dress. All we could do is sit in shock. If I saw this in a sleazy night club I'd just pass it off as well, being in a sleazy night club but this was a RESTAURANT! The waiters didn't even ask them to stop/leave. It was quite a bizarre sight to see.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
RondoHatton said:
There has been on the vintage circuit here a chubby gold digging grifter who publically frottages the sugar daddies she grooms like a chihuahua in heat.

I love Rondo Hatton! He was so scary as the Creeper in the Sherlock Holmes movie, The Pearl of Death

RondoHatton.JPG

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Outdoor "relating" is lots of fun, as long as it's just barely out of the eyesight and earshot of others. Under dark bridges at night; behind a curtained booth; on a rooftop; that sort of thing. The risk of being caught adds spice to the "relating".

Alon

One of the Regulars
I think there is nothing lovelier than public displays of affection. Provided the couple is saving the best part of the evening for the privacy of their own bedroom (or kitchen or dungeon or hotel room), I see nothing wrong with it. I not only think more public displays of affection will help shake off the much-needing-to-be-shaken-off bonds of Puritanism that plague American society but, frankly, I enjoy watching!

:D

Foofoogal

Banned
Outdoor "relating" is lots of fun, as long as it's just barely out of the eyesight and earshot of others. Under dark bridges at night; behind a curtained booth; on a rooftop; that sort of thing. The risk of being caught adds spice to the "relating".

When I was in Paris last Summer it was truly one of the things I enjoyed seeing. Smooching along the hidden stairways, and even on benches in the cemetery. It just sort of went with the ooh lala of the city and its persona.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Have a listen...

The combination of this topic and the theme of the lounge reminded me of this swell parlour song called "Oh! What a difference since the Hydro came!" in which the singer is lamenting the introduction of electric lights, which no longer allow lovers privacy in public places.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the whole song, but here's a sample:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Differen...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1251577849&sr=8-1

MissWink

New in Town
cupcake said:
On the other end of the scale, a few months ago after a show a group of friends and myself went and grabbed dinner at a late night restaurant (i t was about 1am). There was a couple in one corner practically having sex! The girl was straddled on his lap while he was groping away and sliding his hands up her dress. All we could do is sit in shock. If I saw this in a sleazy night club I'd just pass it off as well, being in a sleazy night club but this was a RESTAURANT! The waiters didn't even ask them to stop/leave. It was quite a bizarre sight to see.

I've seen something similar in a restaurant, while celebrating my sister's birthday! She was not amused...nor either one of us. It was just embarrasing and akward to see.
It's a mystery to me how people can behave like that in a restaurant.

Tiller

Practically Family
It's all a personal choice really. For me I don't mind seeing people hold hands, kiss, or have there arms around each other. One the other hand if they are practically about to have sex in the middle of the mall I think things have gone a bit far. At other times though it seems people do it out of desperation, a "hey look at us" kind of thing beyond just a loving feeling. The whole "exhibitionist" aspect of some public displays of affection (or of lust as some have called it making a distinction) seems to border on a fetish that some people seem to have. There's a difference between being a couple in love, and doing things that would make a Victorian prostitute blush imho.

On the other hand I'd be fine living in a world where smokers could smoke anytime they want, as long as the owner of the building didn't care. Which seems to anger most people. I wouldn't mind if someone started smoking a cigar in a crowded mall, well others would shriek in terror at the social faux pas. And I'm sure many of the people who would hate the cigar smoker would included people who would be fine with a couple making out with each other and groping each other on a bench in the mall.

So it depends on who you are, and what your comfortable with.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Tiller said:
On the other hand I'd be fine living in a world where smokers could smoke anytime they want, as long as the owner of the building didn't care. Which seems to anger most people. I wouldn't mind if someone started smoking a cigar in a crowded mall, well others would shriek in terror at the social faux pas. And I'm sure many of the people who would hate the cigar smoker would included people who would be fine with a couple making out with each other and groping each other on a bench in the mall.

So it depends on who you are, and what your comfortable with.

Though i don't want to derail the conversation to the subject of smoking, i think there is a material difference between the two. No matter how inappropriate i feel someone's displays of affection to be, it really is not going to harm me. On the other hand, while i have no moral issue or what have you with others smoking, i do find that it quickly irritates my eyes, and on more exposure my throat (not to mention the longer-term issues). So i feel that, while possibly less "inappropriate," smoking encroaches on others' in a physical way that makes it a very different case.

Alon, what a great song!

guellimus

New in Town
I've seen two different opinions on this thread, one by Foofoogal and the other by Nicknora, and I gotta say I sorta agree with both.

In regards to Foofoogal, some of the PDA you see, like in a big city like Paris for her, or for me Istanbul or Rome, can add to the charm of the city. Walking down an old street and seeing two lovers embracing really adds to the whole experience.

In most situations, a little PDA is not a bad thing, like a couple holding hands as they walk, or sitting on a bench just watching the world go by; I think it reinforces that there is a little romance left in a world that sometimes makes you doubt it.

However, there are two instances of PDA that I cannot stand:
1) Overly affectionate PDA. I've found this type of PDA usually occurs in awkward high school kids around the ages of 15-17. If you ever want to see what I mean, go to a mall food court, or a moderately priced, slightly hip, fast restaurant on a Friday night and look for the at least one teenaged couple that are slumped down in a booth, making out between bites of food. It's almost impossible to not find at least one couple like this.

2) PDA in the most inappropriate moments. This one can actually be done by just about any age group, and when you see it occur, it first invokes a laugh, then a general feeling of annoyance. A prime example is a couple that attends college with me. I see them at least once a week in the school fitness center, working out together. This in itself is perfectly fine and a pleasant way to both spend time together and stay in shape. However, holding hands inbetween sets and reps is, in my opinion, really stupid.

guellimus

New in Town
I've seen two different opinions on this thread, one by Foofoogal and the other by Nicknora, and I gotta say I sorta agree with both.

In regards to Foofoogal, some of the PDA you see, like in a big city like Paris for her, or for me Istanbul or Rome, can add to the charm of the city. Walking down an old street and seeing two lovers embracing really adds to the whole experience.

In most situations, a little PDA is not a bad thing, like a couple holding hands as they walk, or sitting on a bench just watching the world go by; I think it reinforces that there is a little romance left in a world that sometimes makes you doubt it.

However, there are two instances of PDA that I cannot stand:
1) Overly affectionate PDA. I've found this type of PDA usually occurs in awkward high school kids around the ages of 15-17. If you ever want to see what I mean, go to a mall food court, or a moderately priced, slightly hip, fast restaurant on a Friday night and look for the at least one teenaged couple that are slumped down in a booth, making out between bites of food. It's almost impossible to not find at least one couple like this.

2) PDA in the most inappropriate moments. This one can actually be done by just about any age group, and when you see it occur, it first invokes a laugh, then a general feeling of annoyance. A prime example is a couple that attends college with me. I see them at least once a week in the school fitness center, working out together. This in itself is perfectly fine and a pleasant way to both spend time together and stay in shape. However, holding hands inbetween sets and reps is, in my opinion, really stupid.

Well, that's my two cents on the matter anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace