Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

Lenore

Practically Family
Story said:
Interesting sidebar, 14 slides of gangster hideaways
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/06/26/travel/escapes/20090628_gangster_slideshow_index.html

What's wrong with the caption to #10?
28744985.JPG

I'm thinking it has something to do with the shell casings... but I'm no gun gal so I wouldn't rightly know.... I'll ask my husband.

Of course the "X marks the Spot" books were out several years before the raid on Little Bohemia and had to do mostly with the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and Capone if I'm not mistaken...

vintage68

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
Those ain't .45 casings. Look like rifle casings.

You run into this in advertising quite a bit. People who don't know the material or the gear put things together that don't really go together in real life.

That's a Thompson, or "Tommy Gun" and they used .45 ACP, same ammo as is used in modern day .45 1911 semi-auto handguns.

vintage68

Practically Family
Allow me to offer the first Lounger review.

Saw the first 11am showing here in Reno. I for one REALLY liked it.

Loungers will love the period details like the clothes, the hats, and the weaponry (if you go for weapons). I'm sure there will be details to nitpick, but I really thought Michael Mann did a terrific job.

Be forwarned, its VERY violent. But it is, afterall, a gangster flick.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

They also showed two previews for Lounger enjoyment: Shuttle Island and Amelia, about the life of Amelia Earhart. Woo Hoo!! Two more movies to look forward to.

mikey517

New in Town
I saw it at the 10:30 AM showing in Middletown, NY. There was a decent sized audience for a Wednesday morning.

I enjoyed the movie, but I think I was expecting a bit more. It was beautifully filmed....captured the texture of the times...but there were some liberties taken with the history. (See the movie to understand - don't want to give anything away)

Johnny Depp & Christian Bale are great in there respective roles, and the supporting cast helps bring the story of Dillinger to life.

There were times however - for me at least - when I felt the script dragged just a bit.

All in all, I would recommend this movie.

And as Vintage68 said, the previews for Shutter Island and Amelia look great....ca't wait to see Shutter Island (release date is October 09)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
One of you ladies HAS to swipe this pic and crop it for your Avatar! :eusa_clap
rofl.gif
There's that @#!%!!ing '36 Chevy again...
mikey517 said:
there were some liberties taken with the history.
Like stretching the story into 1936? Is Dillinger mowed down by Secret Service men who spot him in the crowd at a whistlestop for FDR's re-election campaign? Is the Biograph Theater showing After the Thin Man instead of Manhattan Melodrama? Does Johnny take his squeeze to the Congress to dance to Benny Goodman?

Or, as I suspect, is no attempt whatsoever made to justify the car?

You mess with the Thirties, ladies and germs, you're messin' with me. And I don't hold with it.

anon`

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
You run into this in advertising quite a bit. People who don't know the material or the gear put things together that don't really go together in real life.

That's a Thompson, or "Tommy Gun" and they used .45 ACP, same ammo as is used in modern day .45 1911 semi-auto handguns.
Well, sort of. Not to be too nitpicky, but not every Thompson fired .45 ACP.

Though admittedly, no Thompson would've accepted that brass (at least, not to my rather limited knowledge) =)

Jeebus... this makes two movies in a single calendar year that I want to see in a theatre, now!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I saw it today at the first showing (12.50). Really good. I am looking forward to another viewing (I always enjoy Mann films more on subsequent viewings - so much detail).

The final third of the movie was the finest in my opinion. There was a really clever and moving use of real footage of Manhattan Melodrama.

Brilliant.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Oh - I put on my iPod Otis Taylor's "Ten Million Slaves" and had it blaring on the car stereo on the way to the theater - got me into the mood big time!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhiO8rT_LnA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhiO8rT_LnA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

mikey517

New in Town
Fletch.....like Baby Face Nelson being shot at Little Bohemia and dying before Dillinger.....

..and as I sit here, I realize I wouldn't mind seeing this flick again....

vintage68

Practically Family
mikey517 said:
there were some liberties taken with the history. (See the movie to understand - don't want to give anything away)

Of course there were liberties taken with history. This is drama. If you want history watch a documentary, or read one of the many histories like the excellent book the movie took as inspiration, written by Bryan Burrough.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
great; could have been better

Just got back from this.

I loved it, but I do think it could have been better. I know there are others who thought it dragged at some points, but personally I thought it should have been longer. Maybe it's just me, since I've read the Bryan Burroughs book, so I know all the details. I completely understand it's Hollywood and they take have to take some liberties--

*****spoilers*****

--honestly I was expecting those liberties to be that they would somehow insert Billie Frechette into the finale in place of Polly Hamilton rather than Dillinger's gang getting killed in the reverse order of how it. I was surprised I was wrong. I still liked it, and all the performances were great. I realize the film is already fairly long, but I thought if the actors had more time and more of the rich history to work with in incorporated into the already-great script, it could have been truly stellar.

I wonder if there will be a longer directors' cut? Oh, and interestingly, the girl friend I watched it with is actually related to the girl who plays Polly Hamilton! She didn't even know she was going to be in it.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I haven't been to see this movie yet. But tonight I did see Manhattan Melodrama on TCM, along with a couple other gangster movies. Seems he took his chances to go to the movies and see Myrna Loy. I don't blame him.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
It was an excellent period contribution by Mr. Mann....yes, some historical liberties were taken, but hey, that's Hollywood; it has always been thus.;)

At 2 hours and 23 minutes long, it seemed like it was only 1 hour...I could have used more! Attention to detail and ambiance is Mann's hallmark, and he delivered, as he always does in his period pieces.

I think Depp probably portrayed JD with more classy panache than he actually had in real life; Bale was an admirable Purvis, though a bit stiff (typical G-Man form). The supporting cast were stellar (especially Stephen Lang), and it was refreshing to see and hear Diana Krall (even if for a short time). Th SMG action was really intense and cool to watch (I'm a Thompson nut;) ); Baby Face Nelson was portrayed just over-the-top enough to make him believable, even if his end was historically inaccurate.

The ending is...well, I'll just say....haunting and memorable.

I will definitely see it again; it will take a few viewings to soak up all the details!:)
Rob

(And my movie-going FL partner Samantha (retrogirl1941) was dressed to the nines in 30's attire...she looked exquisite! Great work, Sam!)

vwguy

New in Town
mikey517 said:
I saw it at the 10:30 AM showing in Middletown, NY. There was a decent sized audience for a Wednesday morning.

I enjoyed the movie, but I think I was expecting a bit more. It was beautifully filmed....captured the texture of the times...but there were some liberties taken with the history. (See the movie to understand - don't want to give anything away)

Johnny Depp & Christian Bale are great in there respective roles, and the supporting cast helps bring the story of Dillinger to life.

There were times however - for me at least - when I felt the script dragged just a bit.

All in all, I would recommend this movie.

I agree on all accounts. The local hype and my own expectations made it hard for the movie itself to live up to it all, but I was left w/ the feeling of wanting more. One of my friends made the comment it seemed like they were trying to make the movie be too many things & didn't quite succeed at any of them. Great acting, great costumes and hey, I spotted myself twice in the airport scene ;)

Since I went to a showing for the local extras, half the crowd was dressed up which was very cool. Here's a pic from last night:

pep5-1.jpg

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner