Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Levallois said:
Mann movies aren't blockbusters. "Heat" did even worse than Public Enemies when it was released but made up for it in DVD sales. I am told that for a movie to make money, it must take in twice what is cost. Rumors were that PE cost about 100 mil to make and it's taken in 206 mil domestic and foreign (more foreign money than domestic!). Couple that with what will be healthy DVD sales and Mann will continue to make movies for us to enjoy (or not).

John

Don't forget he also did the fantastic "Crime Story" TV series!

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
True history holds the keys to amazing stories. A shame that some feel a true portrayal holds little interest for the American public.

The last I checked Scorsese hasn't laid many “period” eggs.

Exactly. I remain hopeful there will be less period films made that play loose and fast with the facts. A film should be guided by the directors personal vision, don't get me wrong. Artistic license is fine by me -- when done well. Martin Scorsese's "The Aviator" is a good example of a period film that melds artistic license with historic fact admirably.

I can't see how tacking on these worn out Hollywood clichés about how "The Stern, Forthright Lawman Always Gets His Man In The End", "Crime Doesn't Pay" and "True Love Is Eternal" make for a better story, when the real story was compelling enough already.

Speaking of Scorsese, I hear he is going to be directing a Theodore Roosevelt biopic. Another producer has been working on an Elliot Ness film, centered around Ness' involvement in the Cleveland Torso Murders, which took place after Capone. So for now, at least, it is safe to assume that we will indeed be seeing more "Films with Fedoras" in the future.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Meh...it is what it is...pure, artistic-license entertainment...nothing more, nothing less.

I personally don't rely on Hollywood to ever provide a decent/reliable/factual biopic of anyone historical...the purpose of a movie like Public Enemies is to open the door for further interest in learning about the characters, and the true historical facts behind the movie...:)
Rob

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ghostsoldier said:
Meh...it is what it is...pure, artistic-license entertainment...nothing more, nothing less.

I personally don't rely on Hollywood to ever provide a decent/reliable/factual biopic of anyone historical...the purpose of a movie like Public Enemies is to open the door for further interest in learning about the characters, and the true historical facts behind the movie...:)
Rob

Well, I tend to agree with that, Hollywood has always missed the mark on historical type of pictures. But, I think some missed out more than others… Wouldn’t you agree?

A door opened is great for others to look into history, but the sad thing is, if that happens, then people will say: Wow, this is amazing, why wasn't this in the movie?

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I agree, FM...but, for some reason, the Hollywood mentality has always been: "Who's gonna believe what really happened? We've got to make it phenomenal, or no one's gonna come to the movies." :)
Rob

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
This is a stick-up...

Nonchalant - I can't see how tacking on these worn out Hollywood clichés about how "[B said:
The Stern, Forthright Lawman Always Gets His Man In The End[/B]", "Crime Doesn't Pay" and "True Love Is Eternal" make for a better story, when the real story was compelling enough already.

There was a story in that movie? I thought it was just a bunch of adrenaline pumping, endorphin boosting film clips, all randomly strung together.

A movie can be fiction or non-fiction, biographical or non-biographical. But all movies must be documentaries in that they present elements of fact or fiction, that build up to communicate a coherent idea.

I'm not sure what this movie was trying to communicate.

Was it entertaining? It sure was for me! I loved looking at the well dressed people. All the shooting and action got my adrenaline going. And during the movie I could indulge in identifying with the characters when they did cool things, or said cool lines.

But when the big ending that tied everything together turned out to be "Bye-bye Blacky", I felt like I was the one who had just been robbed!

Tony

p51

One Too Many
I never thought I’d be writing this, but even though it bends the history to the breaking point in a few places, I loved this movie and regret not seeing it on the big screen. I’ve watched the DVD many times already.

Levallois

Practically Family
I finally got the Blue-Ray version and I thought the picture quality better than the threater which added to my enjoyment of the film this second go-round. I also really liked the extras that came with the disc that explained gangster technology and how the film was made.

John

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Ghostsoldier said:
I agree, FM...but, for some reason, the Hollywood mentality has always been: "Who's gonna believe what really happened? We've got to make it phenomenal, or no one's gonna come to the movies." :)
Rob

Which is why the last Titanic movie did not show the men allowing women and children to get to the lifeboats first (which is what actually transpired), but had "gentlemen" pushing females and kids aside in order to get spots. ("Today's public won't believe that, James...") And there was no yeoman who blew his brains out because he couldn't control the crowds properly...

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Nonchalant said:
Speaking of Scorsese, I hear he is going to be directing a Theodore Roosevelt biopic.

That's correct; it's going to be based on Edmund Morris' The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt which is one of my favorite biographies. I was really looking forward to this release until I heard Scorsese had cast Leonardo Dicaprio as TR. Now I'm not as enthusiastic.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
conrad5157 said:
That's correct; it's going to be based on Edmund Morris' The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt which is one of my favorite biographies. I was really looking forward to this release until I heard Scorsese had cast Leonardo Dicaprio as TR. Now I'm not as enthusiastic.

Yeah, I can't see DiCaprio as TR, but then I've been surprised before...

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://au.sys-con.com/node/1234288

The 1930s Ford Model A (Lot #1309) used by the notorious gangster John Dillinger and later in the blockbuster 2009 movie about his life, will be sold at No Reserve during the 39th Annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale on Jan. 18-24, 2010 at WestWorld. The Ford, which carried "Public Enemy" number one to safety in 1934 while Dillinger sprayed pursuing cops with his Tommy gun, will cross the block as the world watches on SPEED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24