Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pumpkin

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
One for our American friends, from a Brit.

What pumpkin recipies would you recommend for a small dinner party?

Sweet and savoury, please.

And a question of idiom: Why do people say "As American as apple pie" when pretty much every apple-growing nation has apple pie (Britain, France, New Zealand and China as well, I shouldn't wonder).

Why not "As American as pumplin pie" ?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Whatever you make, use a fresh pumpkin. Stab a few holes in it and bake it at around 300 or 350 until it's a little spongy (maybe an hour). Let cool, and scoop out the meat. It's way, way better than the canned goop.

Take the seeds, rinse, soak them in salt water overnight, drain, rinse, and slowly roast them at a low temp.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Don't forget your favorite seasoning salt for the seeds!

I have a recipe for pumpkin bread pudding if you're interested, but I'll have to post it from home

Rock31

Familiar Face
HepKitty said:
Don't forget your favorite seasoning salt for the seeds!

I have a recipe for pumpking bread pudding if you're interested, but I'll have to post it from home
!

If you don't mind, could you post the recipe when you get a chance? Thanks

HepKitty

One Too Many
Pumpkin Bread Pudding

2 1/4 c half & half
2 c pureed pumpkin
1 c light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
splash of Amaretto (HK's contribution to the recipe, you won't regret this)

mix well and add:

10 c .5" bread cubes (whole wheat is ok)
1/2 c golden raisins (definitely optional. I don't think I've ever included them)

fold gently

bake in 9"x12" glass pan for about 30 minutes at 350F

Cricket

Practically Family
I received my Food Network magazine in the mail last week. I remember seeing several pumpkin recipes.

Here are a few that caught my eye.

Pumpkin seeds with a kick
1/3 cups pumpkin seeds, cleaned and rinsed
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Combine the pumpkin seeds with the garlic powder, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper on prepared baking sheet and toss to combine. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until seeds are crispy and light golden brown. Remove from the oven and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon to release any seeds that have stuck to the baking sheet, and cool completely before serving.

Roasted seeds will keep in an airtight storage container for up to 1 week.

Cricket

Practically Family
Here are those other two:

Pork and Pumpkin Chili
3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 12-ounce bottle Mexican lager
Kosher salt
2 to 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
3 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin (about 1 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
2 medium white onions, diced
1/4 cup chili powder, plus more for sprinkling
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
Lime wedges, for serving
Directions
Combine the pork, beer, 3 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, skimming the foam off the surface. Add the chipotles and 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, cover and cook about 30 minutes.

Mix 3 tablespoons pumpkin, the sour cream and salt to taste in a bowl; cover and chill.

Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, poblano, onions and 2 teaspoons salt; cook until soft, 15 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, the chili powder and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add the remaining pumpkin and cook 5 minutes.

Add the tomato mixture to the pork and simmer until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes. Add the greens and cook 10 more minutes. Season with salt. Ladle the chili into bowls; top with the pumpkin cream and more chili powder. Serve with lime wedges.

And this one could be cute for entertaining. Using small pumpkins as bowls.

Squash soup with pumpkin
For the Bowls:
4 small baking pumpkins (such as hooligan or sugar pie), acorn squash or sweet dumpling squash
2 teaspoons sugar
Kosher salt
For the Soup:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 small onion, chopped
Kosher salt
2 sprigs thyme
1 medium butternut or kuri squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons
heavy cream (optional)
Freshly ground pepper
For the Toppings:
Pepitas (hulled green pumpkin seeds)
Sourdough and/or pumpernickel croutons
Paprika, chili powder or Spanish pimenton
Crisp prosciutto, serrano ham or bacon
Fried onions
Fried sage or parsley leaves
Directions
Make the bowls: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Use a paring knife to cut a large circle around the stem of each pumpkin (make a zigzag cut, if desired). Remove the lid and scoop out the seeds and fibers. Sprinkle the inside of each with 1/2 teaspoon each sugar and salt. Place the pumpkins and lids on a baking sheet; roast until tender, 20 to 35 minutes, depending on their size.

Meanwhile, make the soup: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon salt. Strip the thyme leaves into the pot, increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and sugar and cook, stirring, until glazed, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender, crack the lid to let steam escape and puree until smooth; return to the saucepan (or puree directly in the pan with an immersion blender). Stir in the heavy cream, if desired.

FNM_100110-Cover-021_s4x3_lg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo