Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puzzled

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Can't understand why all the jacket makers don't post the actual measurements of their jackets.

One other puzzler is the difference between Vanson and Aero in terms of their required measurements for building a custom jacket. Vanson has you take a great multitude of measurements while Aero doesn't even bother to ask for your shoulder edge to shoulder edge measurement! I don't know how you can build a custom jacket without knowing the client's actual shoulder width! What am I missing?

Ted

Dav

One Too Many
I would have to agree on the shoulder measurement, my highwayman is a good fit in the chest and waist but as I don't have rugby players shoulders it could have done with a silghtly narrower shoulder seem, although I did request it to fit wth a jumper underneath so I have no complaints. I just feel if that measurement had been asked for it would have been an even better fit.I suppose the answer is for me to go to the gym.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Real Custom jackets

I just read through Langlitz's catalog. They ask for 19 pieces of fitting information before they will build your jacket. Vanson's requirements are similiar. I think this is the hallmark of what constitutes a custom jacket maker.
I believe if a jacket company (Aero) only asks you for a few basic measurements they are essentially selling you an "off the rack" jacket. Granted while they may swap liners and closure styles (zips or buttons etc.) to your tastes you're still getting a non-tailored jacket. For me a "premium" jacket is one that has been cut specifically for your measurements and the only way to do this is to request those measurements as required by the likes of Langlitz and Vanson.

I'd like to buy an Aero but unfortunately I don't think I can count on getting a good fit based on their measurement requirements. If I'm going to pay Aero prices I want a tailored jacket, not one that may or may not have shoulder seams hanging an inch below my shoulders. :(

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Why not take your own detailed measurements and send them to Aero? I don't think they've ever ignored additional data provided by their customers.

On my last order with Aero I sent them at least two measurements that they don't "require" via their order form. I even sent pictures with a measuring tape attached to another jacket so that they could see my reference points. They incorporated those measurements into my jacket just fine.

[For the record, that Aero had to go back to the factory but it wasn't because they messed up the measurements from those photos. They hit those measurements dead-on.]

For the record, I have a custom Vanson as well. My Vanson dealer measured me for my Vanson and determined the "off the rack" size 40 Vanson Comet fit me with the exception of my torso being 1" longer than their OTR. As such, I was able to save the expense of getting a full blown custom Vanson. Vanson charges for custom work a la carte (e.g. $20 to remove a pocket) so in actuality the Aero jackets may be a better deal because you can customize to your heart's content for the base price, whereas with Vansons you have to pay "by the drink" (up to a certain point).

Edit: perhaps new customers to Aero would be well advised to take a bunch of measurements and send them to Aero with a statement as to how they would like their jacket to fit. For myself, now owning two Aeros, I would certainly send them as much information as I could on my next order. I highly recommend going to a website that specializes in MTM (made to measure) suits and taping one's self to get a set of "stock" measurements on file. You never know when they will come in handy. I sent my hip measurement from a MTM suit to Aero for my most recent order so even measurements "below the waist" can be useful!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Ace Rimmer said:
Why not take your own detailed measurements and send them to Aero? I don't think they've ever ignored additional data provided by their customers.

On my last order with Aero I sent them at least two measurements that they don't "require" via their order form. I even sent pictures with a measuring tape attached to another jacket so that they could see my reference points. They incorporated those measurements into my jacket just fine.

[For the record, that Aero had to go back to the factory but it wasn't because they messed up the measurements from those photos. They hit those measurements dead-on.]

For the record, I have a custom Vanson as well. My Vanson dealer measured me for my Vanson and determined the "off the rack" size 40 Vanson Comet fit me with the exception of my torso being 1" longer than their OTR. As such, I was able to save the expense of getting a full blown custom Vanson. Vanson charges for custom work a la carte (e.g. $20 to remove a pocket) so in actuality the Aero jackets may be a better deal because you can customize to your heart's content for the base price, whereas with Vansons you have to pay "by the drink" (up to a certain point).

Edit: perhaps new customers to Aero would be well advised to take a bunch of measurements and send them to Aero with a statement as to how they would like their jacket to fit. For myself, now owning two Aeros, I would certainly send them as much information as I could on my next order. I highly recommend going to a website that specializes in MTM (made to measure) suits and taping one's self to get a set of "stock" measurements on file. You never know when they will come in handy. I sent my hip measurement from a MTM suit to Aero for my most recent order so even measurements "below the waist" can be useful!

You would think that Aero would take pains to point this infomation out to prospective customers rather than hoping the customer will automatically assume all of the above extremely useful information, .....very odd, ... as my dear old grandma used to say, "why hide your light under a bushel", ...that's marketing 101 for heaven's sake! One would think/assume that if Aero can or will cut a jacket as derived from 15 plus measurments they would indeed advertise as such.

Not sure but I think $250 is the most Vanson charges for full custom (please correct me if I'm wrong) therefore $489 for their Model B + $250 = at least $100 less than Aero

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Bonneville said:
You would think that Aero would take pains to point this infomation out to prospective customers rather than hoping the customer will automatically assume all of the above extremely useful information, .....very odd, ... as my dear old grandma used to say, "why hide your light under a bushel", ...that's marketing 101 for heaven's sake! One would think/assume that if Aero can or will cut a jacket as derived from 15 plus measurments they would indeed advertise as such.

Not sure but I think $250 is the most Vanson charges for full custom (please correct me if I'm wrong) therefore $489 for their Model B + $250 = at least $100 less than Aero

Roger that, and your grandmom was right. I only learned by reading this forum and from experience ordering from Aero myself. [huh]

My best guess is that Aero figures that people "fudge" measurements. With the recent trend towards "vanity sizing" in men's denim, I can understand if this is the case. I am a true size 32 but generally wear size 30 pants. I once tried on a pair of APC jeans that was size 28 (!!!) that fit me -- and it was not a tight fit. Some people generally don't like to admit that they're a size "whatever" so they are probably more likely to submit inaccurate measurements, which results in a jacket that doesn't fit.

So Aero figures let's just take some basic measurements and build in some room. At least that is my guess, it is obviously not official Aero policy as I do not work for them.

I don't know how much Vanson charges for custom work these days. My Comet was ordered in 2005 and I know they have raised prices across the board since then. To be fair, the prices for Aeros are usually quoted for horsehide so the comparison with Vanson cowhide should be adjusted accordingly.

Edward

Bartender
End of the day, Aero are a business and they clearly receive more than enough custom to be happy with, so obviously their business approach is working for them. My impression is that what they offer as standard is essentially an off-the rack approach to sizing, which they are prepared to adapt further at customer's request. Not true bespoke no, but then I've never seen them claim to do that. Of course, they also offer a very different product than Langlitz. Every Langlitz I've ever seen was specifically intended as serious motorcycle protective wear, a context in which exact measurements and a much neater fit are more highly prized, it seems to me. Horses (quite literally in this context lol ) for courses....:)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Bonneville said:
I just read through Langlitz's catalog. They ask for 19 pieces of fitting information before they will build your jacket. Vanson's requirements are similiar. I think this is the hallmark of what constitutes a custom jacket maker.
I believe if a jacket company (Aero) only asks you for a few basic measurements they are essentially selling you an "off the rack" jacket. Granted while they may swap liners and closure styles (zips or buttons etc.) to your tastes you're still getting a non-tailored jacket. For me a "premium" jacket is one that has been cut specifically for your measurements and the only way to do this is to request those measurements as required by the likes of Langlitz and Vanson.

I'd like to buy an Aero but unfortunately I don't think I can count on getting a good fit based on their measurement requirements. If I'm going to pay Aero prices I want a tailored jacket, not one that may or may not have shoulder seams hanging an inch below my shoulders. :(

Aero definitely isn't selling "off the rack" jackets, nor did they sell me one. I had to provide all sorts of measurements to them mainly because of my surgically-repaired abdomen/tummy area. As Ace said, you can always provide them whatever measurements you want plus the ones they specifically ask for.

I'm truly happy with the good work that Will did in making me a custom Aero NYPD jacket that fit me perfectly... definitely the best fitting jacket I've ever owned. :)

Navin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy