Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

quality of Orchard M/C leather jackets?

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
Im not looking for complete mil accuracy, since I have to order a long anyway, being rounder than tall. :)

My Schott 184 is too short, but otherwise a great jacket, but its shortness drives me up a wall, so im looking at some Orchard M/C A-2 jackets (that's how they are listed, anyway) on FleaBay.

How are these jackets, quality wise? I know they won't be an Aero, or GB or Cooper, but since this one comes in my size (54) I figured that I would jump on it. What are they made from, and is there anything cool to know about them as a whole?

here is a completed listing for one of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-2-USAF-Le...ultDomain_0&hash=item4ab26a8992#ht_500wt_1203

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
better than you think

the orchards i believe were made under military contract, though later ones may be mil spec but not specifically under contract...i have gotten a couple and had seen the contract number in the label, tho i don't want to go dig it out right now (mine's a mint condition 46 if anyone's interested).

they are very good and proper, and from what i've read they were produced at the same union nj factory that made uswings and your schotts, tho the design is pretty much the same as the uswings mil spec models. the early coopers are nothing to hold up as a good jacket. they are revered more for being one of the first contracts back when a-2s came back...but they are thin and baggy jackets with 70s style big disco collars.

i'd go for the orchard, especially if you can find it in your size.

Yep, Coopers just look like crap. Sorry to offend any Cooper lovers, but maybe some of the original jackets were nice. Nothing I've seen on the 'bay or other places has shown me anything but less than mall quality/appearance.

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
That's great news. I feel better now. I did a little research on them, and found that they were on a list of original manufacturers for G-1's, but I had hoped that they hadn't gone the mall coat route, or worse, the Schwinn route, and sold their name to someone else. Will the jacket be on par with my Schott?

CAS

Last edited:

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
-and, do they run 'small' or tight, i.e. ordering a size up from my normal size would be good, or are they cut more 'civilian' now since the company doesn't have the contract anymore?

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
Orchards were made under a single contract for a very limited time period (1992, IIRC). They're by far the "rarest" of the modern era contract A-2s.

The vast majority of what you see on eBay are current-production commercial jackets that use the same old contract number and NSN as their government contract from 20 years ago on the tag. I don't know if it's the same company or not.

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
I don't have enough experience with the two jackets (the mil contract vs the current production) to really know just by how they look and feel. I'd think that any auction from Orchard themselves would be an indicator that it's not a 1992 government contract jacket.

There was quite a bit of discussion about the current Orchard jackets over on vintageleatherjackets forum back in the 2009 time frame, as (I think) they were re-introducing their product and were selling it at a pretty low price (around $100 IIRC).

Anyway, many of the "reviews" of these new jackets commented that the quality was just "all right", and some complaining of a chemical smell, etc, when the jackets arrived. Others were very happy with the jackets, especially given that they were a "budget" or "knock-around" jacket.

The only USAF-issue Orchard I have seen in person appeared very nicely made, totally comparable in quality and fitment to the Saddlery (Cooper) issue jackets of the day. Some people have reported that the Orchard jackets fit a little better than the Saddlery jackets, too. If I saw a real USAF issue Orchard for a fair price, I would definitely pick it up.

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
Okay. The name of the seller is orchardmotorcycledist.inc, and they are based in Long Island NY. Is there anyway to tell, when I get it, if it's 'real' or not?

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
Okay. The name of the seller is orchardmotorcycledist.inc, and they are based in Long Island NY. Is there anyway to tell, when I get it, if it's 'real' or not?

By "real" do you mean made for the 1992 (?) USAF contract?

Even the current made jackets are "real" Orchard jackets - they're just not issue items.

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
Sorry! I just don't want a lousy 'retread' type jacket, kind of like the Schwinn bike I looked at a few months ago, where someone bought the name and continued on.
Im not one for the jackets with the fake patches, or the artwork, unless it was actual vintage. I just want a nice, solid jacket, with some history behind it. Im getting rid of a Schott 184SM because of length, and id like to replace it with something as nice, despite not being able to put down on a Schott right now.

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
SCORE! Alles! Alles, alles, alles......!

I just got email back from the seller of these jackets. Single piece back, no side entry pockets, and seller confirms that they are made by Branded/Orchard M/C. Wo0t! So, ill take some pics when I get it, but based on that they are freely replying to me and offering information I think they are legit.

I should have it today.

Last edited:

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have an Orchard midweight HH A-2 bought from Orchard, as an acknowledged "2nd" via ebay around 2009, and have always liked it a lot. Some of the stitching is errant and it is not "finished" and "detailed" like the higher end A-2s that are often discussed here, but the hide is nice, it's a tough useful jacket, fits well, and was a great deal. I might have paid $50.

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
I finally got it. Whew......It shipped on the 9th from Long Island NY via priority mail, and then sat in one of their postal depots for 2 freaking week. I was pissed. Anywho, here are pics. Its very supple-the drop/crumple test resulted in a nice liquid pile of leather. My Schott would have stood up on its own, and my horse Indy still does. This jacket is satin lined, very soft, with full leather unlined pockets and no hand warmer pockets. The collar is snap down, the wind flap has no snaps, Ideal branded zipper, 1 inside pocket. The grain is nice, but I don't know what it is made out of. It feels like my deerskin leather driving gloves, to be honest. I really like it, but I don't know what it is made out of. Its so soft. It doesn't resemble my Schott at all, or my Indy-it feels a lot like the mall Avirex I had once, so soft that it is crumple-able. It came packed in a medium sized flat rate box-a whole jacket, 54 L, in a tiny box that size.

JacketBack.jpeg

fullJacket.jpg

Tag.jpeg

jacketInside.jpg
underSleeve.jpeg

jacketGrain.jpg

JacketZipper.jpg

JacketDrop.JPG

Last edited:

eckhartus

Familiar Face
Hi,
I have an Orchard 1/2 Belt jacket in steerhide which is of an excellent quality. The leather is very thick and supple thus very pleasant to wear. I think it's a good maker.
Regards

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
This one is great, I was just expecting something more like my Schott, in that it can stand up on its own. This jacket I can wear, rather than having it wear me. Can goat and steer be this soft?

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
Confirmed. This is 2.5 oz cow. So, seem to have gotten a nice, actual Orchard repro, from Orchard/Branded Garments, with most of the standard spec stuff to separate it from a 'mall' jacket (no side pockets, single piece back, etc) for 250.00. I don't follow prices, but considering what my Schott cost I think I did pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy