Question about a Stetson

Discussion in 'Hats' started by GWD, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Pat_H

Pat_H A-List Customer

Is there anywhere to go to find out what the cost of a Stetson cowboy hat was early on, say from the introduction of The Boss Of The Plains up until World War One?

2. Pat_H

Pat_H A-List Customer

Thanks.

I'm curious about the overall price of the hats, which I'll have to adjust for inflation of course, and their relationship to the overall cost of a person's wardrobe. I know that people generally had fewer changes of clothes back then (or certainly pre modern washing machine), so figuring it out is a little bit of a chore.

For that matter, if a person wanted was looking at a good working hat (speaking of cowboy hats), and comparing it to the cost for a good working hat back in the day, how does that pan out? Its not instantly apparent.

3. Pat_H

Pat_H A-List Customer

Following up a bit, I found some ads from 1915 where Stetsons started at about $3.50 and ranged up to about $6.00. In today's prices, that's actually a price between $88.00 and $152.00. But the hats themselves aren't described, so I don't know if those are cowboy hats or otherwise men's dress hats.

4. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Well....

If we are looking at early teens and twenties, check out this thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1900s-stetson-catalog-reprint.94429/

Here's a dealer price list from 1922:
    [​IMG]

The styles we today would call cowboy hats would have been made in certain grades of felt. Select and Excellent quality we see a lot in bowler and derby hats. I don't recall seeing it used in a western style hat. More often we see No. 1 Quality (which was widely used in many styles) and above. The genuine Boss Raw Edge hats were "not made in less than Nutria quality" though they also offered "an imitation of these shapes in the No. 1x and No. 1 qualities."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. Pat_H

Pat_H A-List Customer

Am I reading this right that a No. 1 Quality hat cost $60.00? That would have been over $900 in contemporary greenbacks.

6. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

These are dealer price lists showing wholesale cost per dozen.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  7. Pat_H

Pat_H A-List Customer

Thanks!

8. Lew Decker

Lew Decker New in Town

Just curious if anyone has purchased a Nobel Stetson.
    And if so do you have any pictures of it from the front?
    All pictures i've found are only side pics.
    I'm not a fan of a tapered crown and would like to make sure.

9. Use Google to find The Fedora Lounge and then us the google tool to search within the site and select images.

7C580830-8667-4CC9-A8DD-19DA1768A6DB.jpeg

We have a Q&A thread if you have more questions.

10. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

Try this link it has a front view of the Stetson Nobel: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/page-46

I hope that helps you.
    Steven

dkstott likes this.