Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about shoes?

Blueberry

New in Town
I have Alden and Johnson and Murphy shoes. I like the leather soles and the feel of them. However many in my office put the rubber on the bottoms completly. They say they are more comfortable and save you from ever replacing the soles.

Is there any truth to this? Some say that the leather breathes and when you put rubber on the bottom you feet get warmer. What do you normally do and why?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Rubber soles are only good for one thing - traction. On my dress shoes, I'll never own a pair with purely rubber soles again. I haven't noticed a comfort difference. For me, the rubber soles wear out just as fast, if not faster, than the leather soles.

One bad thing I've discovered is that I have one pair of shoes that I can't wear to the grocery store, as the shopping cart wheels generate so much electricity that builds up in me, and when I touch anything metal - POW! A damned painful shock on every aisle. Doesn't happen when I wear my leather soles.

Brad

LetterJ

New in Town
Given how much of the year is icy and snowy here in MN, I usually go with rubber soled shoes to ensure traction and keeping my orientation vertical.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I prefer leather soles. When I took a pair of shoes to the local shoe repairman he reccomended rubber be added to the soles because they last longer, but I asked for leather ones anyway. Could one buy rubber for the soles back in the 1920's to the 1950's?

sfend002

Familiar Face
I have been thinking about this recently as well. I will admit to just about killing myself in the snow and ice in the winter in leather sole shoes slipping all over the place in a top coat and suit.

I have seriously considered making my next pair rubber soled. A significant decision (for me) at the price good shoes cost.

I know some that opt for rubber soles on rainy days or other bad weather and it seems to make sense. I hate the idea of shoes just for that.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
sfend002 said:
I have been thinking about this recently as well. I will admit to just about killing myself in the snow and ice in the winter in leather sole shoes slipping all over the place in a top coat and suit.

I have seriously considered making my next pair rubber soled. A significant decision (for me) at the price good shoes cost.

I know some that opt for rubber soles on rainy days or other bad weather and it seems to make sense. I hate the idea of shoes just for that.

For bad weather I wear my everyday rubber soled Rockport dress shoes. Rain is very unforgiving on new leather. I prefer to wear my leather soled shoes to my college classes and sometimes I have had to walk 6 avenue blocks in the rain. I noticed that my shoes with broken in leather are tougher against water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80