Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about thickness of sheepskin jackets.

Agouti

New in Town
I recently purchased a b3 "style" jacket, not authentic in any way, it has the flash pockets, but it's real shearing (I cut off a small portion and burned it), and fits me pretty well. It's quite warm, and the outside is soft, but it seems so... thin. The only experience with leather I have is with thick cow leather, and I have to ask: is this normal? Should sheepskin be thin like this?

Tadite

Familiar Face
The skin itself is usually reasonably thin sued. Sheepskin can be surprisingly tough but it isn't in the same league as horse hide or top grain cow. That's why you see shearling lining.

A genuine sheepskin jacket is just a sheep's hide turned inside out. Otherwise the inside of the hide is finished..or coated and turned to the outside..with the shearling or wool on the inside. Most quality shearling is 1/2" or more likely 3/4" thick. Thinner shearling is more 'floppy'..where normally it should be puffier..fluffier..with more body.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart