Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fedoraguy68

New in Town
Hi all - just signed up to this amazing forum!

I recently purchased a Fed. IV Deluxe by Akubra - beautiful piece. I am leaving next Tuesday to spend 2 solid weeks in Cancun, Mexico. My concern: will this hat tolerate the extreme sun and heat from the Mexican sun? Having just purchased it I don't want it faded or shrunken on this vacation. Last year I took a "similar" (non-Akubra) rabbit felt "Indy Hat" to Mexico and it came back with a green tint to it... like, REALLY green!

So - any thought or suggestions on this topic? Any experienced Federation owners ever come across a "hot sun" issue? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

PS - I contacted Akubra / Hat's Direct and they assured me the sun "shouldn't" damage the hat in only two weeks.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
What Hats Direct told you is correct.

Akubras are tough hats, built for the outback. That having been said, no hat is immune to fading from sun exposure. Older hats will many times have darker felt under the ribbon. That having been said, any significant color change in two weeks time is abnormal, I'd suspect.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's beginning to get warm again in the southern parts, so I'd suggest you simply take advantage of Cancun and go out and get yourself a nice straw. There are a lot of tourist places, but if you ask the concierge at your hotel, or anyone else, I'm sure they'll steer you in the right direction. I've always found Mexicans to be extremely hospitable people. I understand why you want to bring the Akubra (I've got three), but it would be like wearing a Mackinaw in Miami.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
my advice is don't bring a FedIV to Mexico ... not because it may fade in the sun... which I don't think it noticeably will... but I think it will be far too heavy for weather you will experience.
we lose most of our body heat through our our heads and the Fed will trap it causing unnecessary perspiration.
you may end up fanning yourself with it more than wearing it

get yourself a nice Panama if you don't have one and enjoy many margaritas

Last edited:

javadave61

Practically Family
It will hold up far better than you will. :) It will be a very warm lid. It will hold it lots of heat. I second the straw suggestions.

By the way, what color is the Fed IV? I'm guessing, the darker it is, the hotter it will be.

Up here in the NW, land of grey and rain I have lots of opportunity to wear a fedora so I use any excuse to wear my straws. Take this opportunity and follow the advice above.....get a straw and enjoy!

RJR

It will hold up far better than you will. :) It will be a very warm lid. It will hold it lots of heat. I second the straw suggestions.

By the way, what color is the Fed IV? I'm guessing, the darker it is, the hotter it will be.
Agree,straws are perfect for the Yucatan.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure the sun/heat/humidity wouldn't do a thing to it. Without getting into panama straw or shantung roll-ups and if you only had to take ONE hat I wouldn't take a particularly finely woven or delicate panama but something a little sturdier like a coarser hardy hemp straw.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I just returned from Chichen Itza, Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel a couple of days ago. I wore my gray Moonstone CampDraft for much of the trip. I would not think that any amount of sun would turn an Akubra's color, but suntan lotion is everywhere.

The hats do stand out in a crowd, but then that was part of the point for me.

Bon voyage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto