Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maduma

New in Town
I am looking for sources of good quality rabbit and beaver felt hat bodies and cones as would like to experiment with making my own Indie Raiders type fedoras. I have located some block suppliers but am having difficulty identifying the right hat body suppliers as I am not sure about felt weight etc, any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Living in Spain you should look at FEPSA in Portugal. They make very fine felt bodies. They have a webstore, but with a very limited range. If you can't find the right body for your purpose (and you probably can't), they have a minimum of 25 bodies per type/color. You will probably be looking for a beaver body, weighing about 110-150g - depending on size

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Thanks guys! I had no luck with finding a website for Tonak. Any idea how I can reach out to them? Maybe they have product here in the U.S. (a distributor maybe?) I did work with Winchester back in the day and will contact them. BTW - no problem if I need to pounce the felt. I've done that in the past. (It's manual labor but worth the effort, right??) Much appreciate the feedback!

ruvort

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys! I had no luck with finding a website for Tonak. Any idea how I can reach out to them? Maybe they have product here in the U.S. (a distributor maybe?) I did work with Winchester back in the day and will contact them. BTW - no problem if I need to pounce the felt. I've done that in the past. (It's manual labor but worth the effort, right??) Much appreciate the feedback!

I know this is an old thread... but I think this is the website you were looking for: https://www.tonak.cz/hatbodies-en/?search=offset:0|articlesCount:0|category:13|page:1

KCarroll

New in Town
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, if so I apologize. I'm trying to find the best place to buy beaver hat blanks. I've been googling for an hour now with little luck! I've heard Winchester Hat Co. out of Tennessee is a good one, I reached out a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from them yet. Any other good ones for western hat making? Thanks in advance guys!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, if so I apologize. I'm trying to find the best place to buy beaver hat blanks. I've been googling for an hour now with little luck! I've heard Winchester Hat Co. out of Tennessee is a good one, I reached out a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from them yet. Any other good ones for western hat making? Thanks in advance guys!

There are three factories that focus on western hat bodies. Winchester, Hatco, and Fepsa. Hatco does not sell to the public, Fepsa takes large enough orders, and Winchester... call them again as they do take time now and again to get back to people. Being in the US, the ease of meeting them with a small flight is worth the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCarroll

New in Town
Ah, that makes sense as to why I've turned up little information. I appreciate the reply, I'll give Winchester Hat Co. a call tomorrow. Thanks again!

I heard (unverified) that Winchester isn’t taking on any new customers. FEPSA will sell single hat bodies, but the shipping is expensive and the website isn’t user friendly, at least not if you don’t speak Portuguese.

Have you considered the nutria hat bodies that recently showed up on Etsy from a seller out of Australia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I heard (unverified) that Winchester isn’t taking on any new customers. FEPSA will sell single hat bodies, but the shipping is expensive and the website isn’t user friendly, at least not if you don’t speak Portuguese.

Have you considered the nutria hat bodies that recently showed up on Etsy from a seller out of Australia?

I have a handful of those. I do wish it was more in vogue to make them. We just need a facility to render the fur off of them here in The US

Last edited:

KCarroll

New in Town
There are three factories that focus on western hat bodies. Winchester, Hatco, and Fepsa. Hatco does not sell to the public, Fepsa takes large enough orders, and Winchester... call them again as they do take time now and again to get back to people. Being in the US, the ease of meeting them with a small flight is worth the business.

I appreciate your reply. I haven’t considered Nutria yet but I’ll go check them out now. Thanks for the lead!

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I heard (unverified) that Winchester isn’t taking on any new customers.

Pretty much spot on. It took my daughter, who is a hatter, a year to get an account. I do know that they are about to go on their summer furlough in about a week and I'm certain they are working hard to fill outstanding orders. I can't recall the dates exactly but I do have the postcard they sent me at the house. (I'm typing this from my day gig) :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ