Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One of the Regulars
Reading all these threads about custom beaver hats always whets my appetite for a deluxe hat. If it wasn't for the year wait I would probably sign up for an Adventurebilt. Am I correct in believing that Fedora gets his hat bodies from Winchester Hat co in Tennessee, and that this company is owned by Stratton hats? So if I were to order a Stratton 30X beaver hat, I'd be getting a hat with the quality (although perhaps not the workmanship) of an AB? Stratton's prices seem rather reasonable compared to what Stetson et al charge for pure beaver hats. I'm more in the market for a western hat than a fedora anyway. :D

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I can't speak for Stratton and what the 30x would represent but in theory, you are right. Stratton owns Winchester so it stands to reason. Just be careful of the X system. A question to ask would be, "Does that represent beaver quantity or finish characteristics?"

barrowjh

One Too Many
I visited Winchester's factory a few months back, and they were definitely involved in a great deal of military (drill sargent?) hats at that time. So, it is likely that they do a lot of law enforcement also. However, I doubt they would put much beaver in them at all. They explained that 'all-the-same' fur will not felt, so any felt will have some sort of mix of fur hair, but that can be accomplished through 2 different grades of hare rather than mixing in expensive beaver ($255 per kilo at that time). I would expect their service hats to be made from a strong mix of hare, but I am just speculating.

majormoore

Vendor
They use a differant hat body for those uniform hats and the drill sgt. hats. The western hats they make I am almost 100% sure is made from the same western hat bodies western hatters get.

Mike Moore

barrowjh said:
I visited Winchester's factory a few months back, and they were definitely involved in a great deal of military (drill sargent?) hats at that time. So, it is likely that they do a lot of law enforcement also. However, I doubt they would put much beaver in them at all. They explained that 'all-the-same' fur will not felt, so any felt will have some sort of mix of fur hair, but that can be accomplished through 2 different grades of hare rather than mixing in expensive beaver ($255 per kilo at that time). I would expect their service hats to be made from a strong mix of hare, but I am just speculating.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Been buried under hat boxes Indycop..:D Plus, I went to Ca. last weekend for grandkids B'day party so my Lounge time is pretty limited.
BTW, you panama went out yesterday.

MajorMoore & Indy are right. The vast majority of Stratton's production is military and Law enforcement and my suspicion is that little if any beaver is used so I would suspect the "X" system refers to finish rather than content. I have no inside info on this, just an educated guess

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
Been buried under hat boxes Indycop..:D Plus, I went to Ca. last weekend for grandkids B'day party so my Lounge time is pretty limited.
Hope you had a good time!!

]BTW, you panama went out yesterday.
:D :D :D :D :D

The Stratton I used when I worked for the sheriffs office was hard as a brick, straw. It was not long oval and gave me a massive headache every time I wore it.:mad:

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies, fellas. :D

Art Fawcett said:
MajorMoore & Indy are right. The vast majority of Stratton's production is military and Law enforcement and my suspicion is that little if any beaver is used so I would suspect the "X" system refers to finish rather than content. I have no inside info on this, just an educated guess

Kabuto said:
Straton's 30X is pure beaver, according to their Web site

Yeah, that's what I was going by. They have a western section as well as the uniform hat section, Art. That's where they offer different grades and 30x is billed as pure beaver.

http://www.strattonhats.com/specsw.html

Do you and Major Moore get your beaver hat bodies from Winchester? I've drooled over both of your websites before today. :)

Indycop said:
You could contact MajorMoore of Buckaroo Hatters. He has some amazing westerns! Just look up some of RBH's posts and you will see the quality

Yeah, I've been very tempted with his work, for sure. I just thought that an off the shelf hat would be quicker. My main problem with a custom is finding pics of what I like for the hatter to work from. If only I could draw. Pity there wasn't someone closer to where I live that I could talk to face to face. I've got a couple of hats that need re-modeling, too. :D

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Do you and Major Moore get your beaver hat bodies from Winchester? I've drooled over both of your websites before today.

Yes, we do 007. thanks for the info on Stratton. I've never visited their website but have a great relationship with the Gen Mgr. of Winchester. He's a straight up guy so it stands to reason that they would use less than deceptive tactics in their "X" system. You just never really know in the hat biz what the hatter means by "1gazillion X".

majormoore

Vendor
I get all my hat bodies from there also, The General Manager is a super nice guy, he and I talk very often, most of the time I stop by and pick up the bodies I want when I am in the area.

Major Moore

univibe88

One Too Many
Art Fawcett said:
You just never really know in the hat biz what the hatter means by "1gazillion X".

On my next hat, can you just stamp "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" all the way around the inside of the hat band? :eek: lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
007 said:
Yeah, I've been very tempted with his work, for sure. I just thought that an off the shelf hat would be quicker. My main problem with a custom is finding pics of what I like for the hatter to work from. If only I could draw. Pity there wasn't someone closer to where I live that I could talk to face to face. I've got a couple of hats that need re-modeling, too. :D
Don't let it discourage you . I could not be farther from Art, he's in Oregon i'm in Florida. But he is very good at exchanging ideas either by email or phone and his hats fit perfect.
MajorMoore is also great with emails and will talk to you by phone. I will have my first work from him in a couple of months, I mean my wife will!:eusa_doh:lol

majormoore

Vendor
Her hat just needsthe hatband we talked about, the lacing has been done to the brim, Luke saw it today when he came over. The color combo she was wanting on this western hat looks good.

Major Moore

indycop said:
Don't let it discourage you . I could not be farther from Art, he's in Oregon i'm in Florida. But he is very good at exchanging ideas either by email or phone and his hats fit perfect.
MajorMoore is also great with emails and will talk to you by phone. I will have my first work from him in a couple of months, I mean my wife will!:eusa_doh:lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
majormoore said:
Her hat just needsthe hatband we talked about, the lacing has been done to the brim, Luke saw it today when he came over. The color combo she was wanting on this western hat looks good.

Major Moore
Sounds exciting!!!:eusa_clap

One of the Regulars
Yes, but their prices went through the roof when the company changed hands a few years ago. Before that it was a great place to go for a quick custom hat, top price $120, specify height, width, colour and when the lid was ready you could drop by and one of the guys would hand shape it for you while you watch. :eusa_clap I've got three. :D
No beaver though, the boss said they didn't offer beaver at that time.

But, now that you mention it, they would probably re-model the ones that need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ