question on sleeve length

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Kris B, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Kris B

Kris B Familiar Face

A question for those who ride daily in their jackets.

I currently have an Lost Worlds Easy Ryder jacket that has a sleeve length of 25.75 which is perfect for the way this jacket is built. It is a full cut jacket with bi-swing back and underarm gussets.

I have an J23 on order which is a trimmer cut without the underarm gussets.

My question is; if the Easy Ryder sleeve length is perfect at 25.75 would you order the J23 with the same length or would you order it with a 26 inch sleeve since it's a trimmer cut and does not have underarm gussets. My main concern is the sleeves pulling up while in the riding positions.

2. Psant25

Psant25 Practically Family

I think 0.25 inches is negligible

I believe stu at LW does not believe in a shoulder measurement

I do find that measurement very helpful. If for example the shoulder was 1 inch narrower I would split that and add 0.5 inches to sleeve. Have discussed that with Langlitz before.

I would think most makers have their pattern for a given average height. So that trimmer type patters would already have slightly longer sleeves.

when in doubt I would ask the maker

brad

jonbuilder and SinSir like this.
  3. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Hey Kris - I like yourself prefer that the sleeves ride up as little as possible. I'd chat with Stu about this, I think you'll be fine but that last 0.5" or so does indeed affect my perception of jacket fit, probably too much.

Good luck and stay well out there! :)

4. KissMyMuscle

KissMyMuscle One of the Regulars

Doesn't the j23 come with a full action back instead of shoulder gusset?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

As others have said, 0.25" is negligible and probably within LW tolerance range.

The J-23 lacks underam gussets but the full action back is very good and the forward reach is great.
    I would order the same sleeve length.

6. Monitor

Monitor

Full action back.

7. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

A quarter of an inch difference is not going to matter much at all. It matters more that it takes up time in your head- don't worry about it.

8. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

J23 has great range of motion with the AB.

I believe that Stuart alters sleeve length in .5” increments from whatever the stock length is for a given style and size. Then factor in variance. I would ask and trust Stuart.

Carlos840 likes this.
  9. I ride a MC all summer. Only brand jacket that I've worn to ride in that the sleeves ride up very little is Vanson. It is not only sleeve length that matters but the cut of the jacket and how the sleeves are set in the jacket pattern. Vanson has perfected theirs for reach...but they are a dedicated MC jacket with most of their styles. Every LW or Aero MC appearing jacket that I tried over the years has pulled up when I ride.
    HD

Fanch, jonbuilder, Ric. and 1 other person like this.
  10. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yep. It's about how integrated the pattern is with body and sleeve as you lean in. I had a jacket with extra long sleeves and they and the shoudlers still bunched up when I raised my arms.

11. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

I agree besides my Vanson, my Langlitz Cascade with forwarding curving Sleeves do not ride up. My Lost World and Aero CXL jacket sleeves do ride up in the riding position.