Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question re Aero Bootlegger from a newbie

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

First post here, since registering yesterday...

I have actually been browsing this site for a while as a guest, but finally decided to register and now post my very 1st thread... actually more like a question:

Does anyone here own the Aero Bootlegger? I am thinking about getting one, but not too sure how it fits (snug vs. generous, etc.)

Would appreciate comments and advice from current-, or past-owners, and especially would be grateful for photos of the jacket being worn to give me a better idea how it fits on a person.

I am thinking of getting it in mid-weight oil-pull horsehide however as I really don't want to wear stiff cardboard for a couple of years...:)

Thanks in advance,
Blethook

Havana

One of the Regulars
I had one in heavy steerhide. I normally wear a 42R in suit jackets and that's what I ordered from Aero. The jacket fit perfectly at the shoulders and on the arms. It was not tight by any means. I would call it "fitted" comparable to a suit jacket - definitely not oversized in any way. It was quite stiff initially but broke in fairly quickly with regular wear. I only sold it because it turned out to be a bit too heavy for my climate. I seemed to get compliments from strangers each time I wore it. Sorry no color pictures.
100_1662.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi Havana,
Thanks for the reply with the photo. Really helpful & much appreciated. Yes, I can see it's not that oversized, though it looks like you managed to wear layers of clothings underneath it.

I think I'll get mine without the epaulette, and I'll have it with a 2-piece back with a single pointy yoke.

Thanks again.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
ANOTHER NEWBIE

I'm in the market for a Bootlegger as well. I plan on a custom made one with parts from other Aero jackets. As a newbie here, who do I need to contact in the U.S. (e-mail) for questions on whether my ideas are feasible?

I'm very, very concerned with size and fit. I totally want it to fit nice and snug like an original - hitting at the waist, tapered arms, etc.

I'm in Iraq for a little while longer, so I have some time to put it together - jus want to get your feedback.

Cheers!

blethook

One of the Regulars
marineabilly said:
I'm in the market for a Bootlegger as well. I plan on a custom made one with parts from other Aero jackets. As a newbie here, who do I need to contact in the U.S. (e-mail) for questions on whether my ideas are feasible?

I'm very, very concerned with size and fit. I totally want it to fit nice and snug like an original - hitting at the waist, tapered arms, etc.

I'm in Iraq for a little while longer, so I have some time to put it together - jus want to get your feedback.

Cheers!

Hi there,

I did ask Amanda about the bootlegger (she's aware that I am used to wearing trim fit A-2s). She said that the bootlegger sizing would be on the roomy side, relatively speaking...and that the armholes would be bigger than those of the A-2s...

I am still interested in them, but I thought I would just wait until they have a spare bootlegger in my size that they can send to me to test just to be sure...

Peacoat

Bartender
marineabilly said:

Cheers!

Send Mark Moye an email. He is in S. Carolina and can answer your questions about making a jacket. He is good to work with and is very accommodating.

aeroleatherusa@aol.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot