Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Matt Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

The buttons can be moved about an inch without disturbing the symmetry of the coat, but do what Spoon says and take it to a tailor. He's the professional; we're just amateurs.

busstonedfx likes this.
  2. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

I'll do that if there's a decent tailor still open for sure.... this coronavirus thing shut my city down... i guess moving the buttons would be a last resort...

there's no rush on this, moving the buttons would have been an instant, cheap fix

with all this time on my hands now after getting laid off, until these coats are dry cleaned, and fit, i seem to still be mentally preoccupied with this peacoat mission, it's like a splinter in my brain, an unfinished project staring at me...

at least i scratched the itch of pea-coat buying- got 2 nice ones.... i won't buy another.. gotta stay off eBay.... but I got to try on 3 different kerseys and a melton in the process!

time to start shopping for a reputable tailor :p

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  3. Peacoat

Something about the symmetry on the size 32 1945 coat just doesn't look right. Those buttons may have been moved to give it a tighter fit. If so, the symmetry and the fit will be improved by moving them back. Let us know how this plays out.

busstonedfx likes this.
  4. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

regretfully, i wound up sending the 32 back... it looked good on me, but i couldn't move in it, and couldn't justify the cost of altering it... nor did i really want to, deep down. i messaged the seller and we worked out a deal, and i sent it back because they had someone else already lined up to re-buy it... i got a '66 in 34r that fits me comfortably that i can move and breathe in while buttoned... i'm happy. Thanks to peacoat, spoon, abba, rds, rich and cornelius for the info and opinions, that's why i love this place
    gonna secretly be looking for a '49 now :p

Cornelius and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  5. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

I was considering bringing another coat I had to the tailor, to mimic these coats....

but I also was considering lining the pocket with flannel/moleskin instead of corduory.

Would one be better suited than the other?

Corduroy is more durable, but flannel is warmer, softer, and more comfortable on the skin?

Is this correct? anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks guys

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  6. Peacoat

Whatever material is in the pocket now is probably the best. The pockets are plenty warm as is, and if it is really cold you would be wearing gloves anyway.

7. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

I wanted to add something to the civilian coat I had- it has some cheap thin cotton pockets (my only gripe)... black courdoury/moleskin would be a pretty signifigant upgrade

for sure the cord in the kerseys is warm, I just didn't know if they chose that because it was the "best", rather than being cost effective for mass production

some random guy on another forum said - "Corduroy tends to be warmer, moleskin tends to be harder wearing." but I was worried about durability too, i am not even sure if i ever touched moleskin before, if i did, i didn't know i was lol so i wanted to see what you guys thought

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  8. Peacoat

I think corduroy is harder wearing. For one thing it's thicker.

9. FUGAZY

FUGAZY New in Town

Hello everybody
    I'm new on this so interesting forum , today i wished to share this peacoat that i found on EBay
    This is a wwII peacoat that has never been worn , i'm surprise how it's possible this is extremly rare ?
    But its price is really too high and the size small for me , if anyone would be interested this is the link
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/143577948979?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true
    Have a good day
    SCREEN SHOT 2020-04-21 à 12.55.43.jpg SCREEN SHOT 2020-04-21 à 12.55.24.jpg

Attached Files:

Cornelius and Kennyz like this.
  10. Peacoat

Nice coat. From the wear indications on the tag, it appears to have no to light wear.

11. daw

daw Familiar Face

Amazing find after so many years. Still, can't believe anyone would part with nearly so much cash to own it.

12. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

No doubt a very nice coat, but with patience and a watchful eye you can find pristine near perfect examples for a fraction of that cost.
    B

13. Peacoat

Yep, that is more than just a little steep.

14. guygardner

guygardner A-List Customer

Picked up this nice vintage USN Pea Coat in a size 36. Judging from the tag, I'm guessing this is a 1952 issue coat?

IMG_0418.jpg IMG_0419.jpg IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0423.jpg IMG_0425.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  15. Peacoat

Yes, that should be a 1952 coat. Good score.

guygardner likes this.
  16. guygardner

guygardner A-List Customer

Thanks. I love the wool on these old coats. I have had a harder time finding a post-war kersey wool coat without damage to the wool (moth bites usually) than I have tracking down a WWII coat in excellent condition.

17. Astroboy

Astroboy New in Town

Hello guys!

My WWII Peacot is showing incredible quality....
    Which company made this?
    Just naval clothing factory?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  18. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

Astroboy likes this.
  19. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/peacoat-dating.35824/
    I am no expert but the tag in your photo is the inspection tag and there should be another tag in the pocket that says manufactured by naval clothing factory. Later peacoat has a different tag that says manufactured for Naval Clothing Factory as well as contract number which may point you to the manufacturer/contractor. As yours are WW2, therefore they are manufactured by Naval Clothing Factory possibly the Broolyn Factory and not some outside contractor.
    https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/fo...othing-factory-dating-navy-enlisted-uniforms/
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/peacoat-dating.35824/

Astroboy likes this.
  20. Astroboy

Astroboy New in Town

oh !!
    I got it!! Thank you very much !!